AODE filter change questions?

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
well i need a transfilter and to change the fluid its dark brown and smells horrible....is there any thing i need to know before tackling this?? if i just drop the pan will all the old stuff drain out then just pop the old filter out put the new in and put the pan back on and fill her up?? or is there something more i need to know? should i try to keep the car lifted and level or wont that matter?

smokeybear

Reaction score
You need to change the filter and drain the torque converter. I will drain the fluid first then put the old filter back run the car around the block then drop the pan again and drain every thing and put on the new filter.the second step you don't have to do I just like to make shure all the crap is out of the system.And clean the pan out real good.and dont throw out the magnet. I know lots of people who don't know that it is there.that magnet helps keep alot of junk from entering your trans.hope this helps.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the transfluid is that bad, the best thing to do is to take it to a shop and get a trans flush. They will get all the old trans fluid out and flush the internals. It will probably cost you about $125.00 or so with synthetic trans fluid. Draining and refilling the trans several times won't do what you need to be done. That won't get out out all the nasty fluid and contaminants. Also you don't have to worry about getting rid of the waste oil.

By the time you drained and refilled the trans several times, it would pay to get the transflush. Nomatter how many times you drain and refill you won't get all the shit out. Your trans and torque converter hold about 7-8 quarts, you will be lucky to drain out 4 quarts at a time, even with draining the torque converter.

Get the transflush, you are better off. I get the trans on my Windstar done every year when I take it to state inspection. The automatic transmission is probably the most neglected part of every car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online