aode trannys

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
how many of you are running a aode tranny and what are your mods? ill try to list all of mine

2600 stall edge racing converter
trannsgo shift kit
thinner presure plate and extra clutchs in every pack
baumannengineering stand alone tranny computer.....REAL NICE!!
newer mechanical diode
...just got and not installed yet....lower gear set
b&m tranny cooler
auto meter auto tanny temp guage

p.s. that stand alone computer has a wire you can hook up to the cruise contol buttons and it lets you use the cruse buttons as a paddle shifter!...neat as hell but i never hooked it up

OP
OP
wayne94mustang

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
oh...and before i get a bunch of shit for runniing a auto in my 5.0 i just want to say all the years i raced atvs my knees are shot and i cant use a clutch very good

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
wayne94mustang said:
oh...and before i get a bunch of shit for running a auto in my 5.0 i just want to say all the years i raced atvs my knees are shot and i cant use a clutch very good

I have a Aod-e in my 98, and never got grilled for it. I guess that's because all my friends with manual cars couldn't do shit with me until they hit 3rd gear with their 5-speeds :rollinglaugh:. That was with my original NON PI 98 motor (238hp and 268lb rear wheel) so we will see how they do with the new BUILT 4.6 that's going in right now. Just because its an auto don't mean you cant hand a manual car its ass on a silver platter. Autos are not as much fun to drive, but driver error is erased and with the proper mods (shift-kit, stall, cooler, valve body) they can tear up 1, 2, and third just like a stick. My car rips 1 and 2nd easy with the old motor, going to see how it goes with another 60+ at the wheels. :)

Dan95-5.0

Reaction score
Edge Racing 3000 stall. 9.5 inch
transgo shiftkit stage 3
upgraded accumulators
4r70w pan and filter
B&M hammer shifter
tranny cooler
phantom tranny temp gauge
manual lockup switch (just need to wire it up)
3.73 gears

cant complain LOL

shifts nice and hard, chirps 2nd easily when i want it to, dyno'd a while ago and lets just the converter works HAHAHA

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dan95-5.0 said:
Edge Racing 3000 stall. 9.5 inch
transgo shiftkit stage 3
upgraded accumulators
4r70w pan and filter
B&M hammer shifter
tranny cooler
phantom tranny temp gauge
manual lockup switch (just need to wire it up)
3.73 gears

cant complain LOL

shifts nice and hard, chirps 2nd easily when i want it to, dyno'd a while ago and lets just the converter works HAHAHA

what kind of tranny cooler do you have? I dont have one yet and I KNOW Im going to need one after I get my car back from the shop with my new motor in. Also how hard are they to install and how much. I dont know crap about them other than the fact that I need one.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Wayne, what kind of trans temps do you see in light (mild traffic, in town) driving?
And what is the sender location? Pan, outlet line from trans, etc?

You guys have some very nice set-ups. Drool.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
HISSIN50 said:
Wayne, what kind of trans temps do you see in light (mild traffic, in town) driving?

I wonder about my temps also, I dont drive my car much, well let me re-state that. I didnt drive my car much but when I get it back I am going to be all over it :boink: and I need a cooler because I know its going to build some major heat from the beating its going to get. Got to get a cooler before I break something. :nonono:

OP
OP
wayne94mustang

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
HISSIN50 said:

normal driveing in the summer it might get to 150-160 degrees....beating it the highest iv seen is 180

i have the probe in the pan

and im not ashamed of the auto ...hell i dont chirp 2nd at all......i melt the tires for 10 feet,,,,,hahaha
i just get tired of people on other site raggin on autos....nice to see i have some auto brothers

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Brah. The reason I ask is that my '94 is an auto and I have been wondering if my temp gauge is not calibrated. I have the sender in a tee on the output line (leaving the trans - I figure this is the hottest fluid). Most of the time I am at about 110-125*F. That just seemed too cool.
I run only a stand-alone stacked plate trans cooler (19,000 GVWR).

OP
OP
wayne94mustang

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
i was told that you want the probe in the pan....made sence to me since thats ware lots of the heat is made

i run a 16,000 gwv cooler inline with the rad cooler (just to some heat in it in cold weather)

HISSIN50

Reaction score
I thought about doing a pan mount but figured that the fluid in the pan is a mix of hot fluid and freshly cooled fluid. I dont think it matters much.

Good plan with running the stock heat exchanger - I live in the desert so I figured I could do without (but the heat exchanger did help to heat the fluid up).

Dan95-5.0

Reaction score
98blackmagic said:
what kind of tranny cooler do you have? I dont have one yet and I KNOW Im going to need one after I get my car back from the shop with my new motor in. Also how hard are they to install and how much. I dont know crap about them other than the fact that I need one.

a tranny cooler is a great idea to keep it living longer.

i got a TruCool 4589 8 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick. its rated at 24,500 GVW.

tranny temps dont even get close to 180 when i'm driving the shit out of it.

i put the tranny gauge sensor in the test port on the side of the tranny. my plan was to get a t block and put it in the line coming out of the tranny but doing it my way was alot easier.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Dan (or anyone else who knows), where is the test port? What is involved in installing a sender in that location? I like that idea better (I think) than how I have it now......
Thanks for any info............

Green94gt

Reaction score
Trans-go, B&M cooler, and B&M pan. Stock converter, for now.

The pan was a good investment, IMO. Aside from the benefits of a drain plug, I did notice slightly better operation from the trans, like it's staying cooler than before and is just better lubed.

drewski

Reaction score
PI stallion converter 2800 stall
trans-go shift kit
california performance transmission full rebuild kit (this is art carr's company)
wide-ratio gearset
baumannator TCS (not installed yet)
seatrab trans cooler (not installed yet)

put almost 550rwhp through it with no probs

Dan95-5.0

Reaction score
HISSIN50 said:
Dan (or anyone else who knows), where is the test port? What is involved in installing a sender in that location? I like that idea better (I think) than how I have it now......

the test port is found on the drivers side of the transmission. you'll see the word line beside a bolt. unbolt it and put the sender in with some thread sealer. thats it. it was really easy to do. and access to it is pretty easy. heres a pick i found

test.jpg

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Dan95-5.0 said:
HISSIN50 said:

the test port is found on the drivers side of the transmission. you'll see the word line beside a bolt. unbolt it and put the sender in with some thread sealer. thats it. it was really easy to do. and access to it is pretty easy. heres a pick i found

Dan, thanks so much buddy! I will take a peak at mine and if I find that port, I might have to relo' my sender. I have always been afraid of removing plugs on the sides of autos, so I really appreciate the pic!

Thanks again Dan.

P.S. In case you reply again, do you lose trans fluid when you drop the plug? It looks like that boss is pretty high up on the side of the trans, so probably not.

Thanks again!

Dan95-5.0

Reaction score
when i took the plug out, i was afraid fluid would come out so i had a rag handy. but because the car wasnt ran for a while there was no fluid. the plug was wet but nothing came out.

it was a while ago tho

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Hello to all my AODE brethren. The list is slowly growing:

B&M shift kit street/strip
Rv torque converter (currently trying to locate)

The tranny is still out of the car so I have yet to test it. I see a lot of you guys have gone with a transgo kit, do you know something that I don't? Is it like the B&M where you can choose a towing setup with slightly firmer shifts or the street/strip setup with even firmer shifts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online