Are B headed Cobras "really" that bad?

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
All I ever hear all day long from 03/04 Cobra and LS1 owners is that the n/a mod motor mustangs are dogs. They even bash the Mach 1 as being "junk." Now of course, i'm comming over from svtperformance so that might have something to do with it. But never the less, the B head cobras get their fair share of flack. but all i ever see is built B headed cobras going like stink (Boss330) and making just as impressive power numbers and 1/4 times (sometimes better with equal power to 03/04 cobras) as anything else. The b heads are supposed to be "inferior" but with forged internals to handle boost, they seem to flow just as well as any other mod motor mustang (pre-gt500). So am i missing something? i'm not an engineer or engine builder, so maybe i dont have the mechanical background to fully understand why our cobras seem to be the red headed stepchild of the 4v family.

lets get some thoughts and opinions on this subject.

ripper

Reaction score
I cant help ya out ben i have a GT but i can say i wish i had one.

blackfang

Reaction score
For one it is SVTP and two the fastest/quickest Modular is a B headed 4V

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
blackfang said:

You mean in general or after its outfitted appropriately (built)?

Do you have a link?

freakshow12

Reaction score
in stock trim they are ok. I have a cobra and a mach. stock for stock the mach will eat it up all day. my cobra is blown(and blown up LOL) though so now its a different story. in my rebuild I am staying with the B heads and they will be fine

blackfang

Reaction score
bens4vcobra said:
blackfang said:

Do you have a link?
No link, but it is well known that Milhovetz's (sp) car is the fastest and he is running B heads. he has a built engine in his.

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
blackfang said:
bens4vcobra said:
blackfang said:

Do you have a link?
No link, but it is well known that Milhovetz's (sp) car is the fastest and he is running B heads. he has a built engine in his.

Yeah Al Papitto in Vero Beach builds up nice 8)

If i only had the cash... :-\

97vertstang

Reaction score
actually b heads flow better than most other 4v heads, the problem is that they flow too much for stock trim, put a power adder in the equation and u got urself a killer combo, if forged internals are used of course.

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
5.HOE said:
actually b heads flow better than most other 4v heads, the problem is that they flow too much for stock trim, put a power adder in the equation and u got urself a killer combo, if forged internals are used of course.

Wow i've never heard that, sounds interesting though. Define "flow too much."

blackfang

Reaction score
bens4vcobra said:
blackfang said:
bens4vcobra said:
blackfang said:

Do you have a link?

Yeah Al Papitto in Vero Beach builds up nice 8)

If i only had the cash... :-\
He is using the Ford GT heads on his low 9 second NA 97 Cobra. However, he builds awesome engines.

freakshow12

Reaction score
he means port size kills low end tq production. thats why they used the IMRC's I found gears and a blower solved the low end grunt issue :)

waltnono

Reaction score
5.HOE said:

Check out sean hyland site and look at the flow number for all the stage work they do for both B & C heads and you will find that the B heads out flow the C heads in his test numbers.

G

GREG@SN95

lmao @ mach1 motor being crap...

They think cause they have fast cars that they know everything... they're morons...

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
5.HOE said:

Sounds like the same problem Ford had with the 351Cleveland 2 barrel and 4 barrel heads. The valves were so big in the 4 barrel heads they did not work at all down low, but you get them into the higher RPM range and they crank out some power. The 2 barrel heads are just kick ass for the street. You don't even need any head work other than a clean up.

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
freakshow12 said:
he means port size kills low end tq production. thats why they used the IMRC's I found gears and a blower solved the low end grunt issue :)

He he, that would be nice, hope to have 8lbs soon... doing gears this summer for sure.

blackfang

Reaction score
waltnono said:
5.HOE said:

Check out sean hyland site and look at the flow number for all the stage work they do for both B & C heads and you will find that the B heads out flow the C heads in his test numbers.
Sean Hyland is the worst in the business. If you want horrible pricing, bad work and worse customer service, then give him your money. Too many other shops cheaper than him, doing it better than him and making their customers alot happier than him.

C heads have more velocity than B heads.

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
blackfang said:
waltnono said:
5.HOE said:

Sean Hyland is the worst in the business. If you want horrible pricing, bad work and worse customer service, then give him your money. Too many other shops cheaper than him, doing it better than him and making their customers alot happier than him.

C heads have more velocity than B heads.

I've heard that about SHM. There was a feature car in MM Mag that was a 98 cobra built by him, the owner bought the car already built and ended up having to have the whole thing redone.

blackfang

Reaction score
There are too many horror stories from customer on these sites.

OP
OP
B

bens4vcobra

Reaction score
On the contrary, I've heard alot of good things about VT Engines though.

freakshow12

Reaction score
bens4vcobra said:
freakshow12 said:

He he, that would be nice, hope to have 8lbs soon... doing gears this summer for sure.

I will have about 15lbs :) I have heard great things about VT engines as well. I have also dealet with SHM and they suck balls! I will never go back. quick to take cash and leave you with NO tech support.

oh and I laughed about the mach 1 thing too that "they" say. mine goes like stink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online