Article: Potential Dangers of a Poorly Made Replica Wheel

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Interesting read, i am a fan of a nicely done replica, this one is referring to the poor replicas that are out there. Looks wise they may pass the test, its only when they are put to their limits on the road..

As an auto enthusiast, it’s easy to be tempted by deals for OEM-style wheels that cost a fraction what the dealer or authorized reseller may be asking. But there are often good reasons why you should consider paying the premium for genuine wheels, as highlighted in this video from Mercedes-Benz.
The automaker’s Australian division together with General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] subsidiary Holden recently took part in a test comparing the performance of the fake wheels, often labeled as replica or reproduction wheels, with the genuine stuff. The test was conducted by an independent automotive industry body, using fake Mercedes-Benz wheels purchased from an online retailer.
The test was a pothole impact, which saw the fake wheels break apart at speeds as low as 50kmh (31 mph). This occurred in separate tests, one in which the point of impact was close to a spoke and one where the point of impact was midway between the spokes. Under the same tests, the genuine wheels sustained no visible damage.
And it’s not just the vehicle occupants at harm. When the fake wheels broke apart, sharp metal shards were flung off at high-speed, potentially putting passers-by at risk.
Fake wheels are usually developed with the lowest costs in mind, meaning the manufacturing processes and materials used tend to be the cheapest available. The wheels, which are copied from genuine designs, are often also modified to fit a wide variety of vehicles they were not originally intended for, by changing offsets, wheel widths, etc., and this too can have an impact on their strength and durability. Finally, fake wheels rarely go through the vigorous research and development phase that genuine products face, hence the results you see here.
Worryingly, it’s not just wheels that are being faked. Other key safety-related components such as airbags, brakes, lights and tires are also being produced by counterfeiters.

- URL: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ghts-potential-danger-of-replica-wheels-video

Video:

[video=youtube;g05gODNU04Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05gODNU04Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Weds Japan did a test on one of their wheels and a replica version of it.

[video=youtube;BJeFB6SRslk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk[/video]

Can you guess which one breaks?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did A LOT of research on replica wheels, some seem okay but the more I looked into them the more I got turned off. Just not worth buying cheap replicas. It actually doesn't cost a ton more to get a good quality wheel you don't have to worry about.

Darhawk

Reaction score
[MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION] So would you say your AFS wheels are stronger or safer than the Wheel Replica brands? Curious to know. As you know I am a wheel geek! lol

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AFS wheels?

The typical mustang reps are boat anchors and are essentially made in a similar way to oem I would imagine. I would like to get different wheels that are high quality.

I think the major concern with other reps is they are replicating high quality wheels. The rep companies are using cheap cast methods to produce very high quality cast wheels or even forged wheels. If they use near identical dimensions with weaker material... well yeah.

I'm not saying all replicas are horrible, but I would do research and think about it first. When I orginally looked at brands like xxr I thought it was the best of both worlds, cost and style. But the more I looked into reps the more I got turned off.

That being said I think I've read a bunch of drifters use cheap replicas. I guess if they damage the wheel it cheap to replace. If they really screw up the wheel breaks and saves the expensive suspension components? That's what I've read in a few places, not sure how true that is. Lots of drifters do use cheap reps, but it could be sponsor. Free is free.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I look at them kinda like I do seats. No one wants to spend more then they need too but if the fit hits the shan you better hope you got something solid in both areas. Most of us are probably better off saving for a little longer to ensure it all good...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online