As far as I can go....for now ;)

weendoggy

Reaction score
Purchased my 2002 GT in late 2018. Wanted a street/track car to supplement my other street/track car. Keeping it street legal in the grand state of CA, is a PITA for sure. But as they say, there are some things that can be done. I'm not one to have a car just sit and that's the reason for the street version. By track event, I mean road course, I don't drag race.

Cut to the chase now, after doing as much as I can to squeeze as much as I can out of the car, I'm now looking into a Coyote swap! First order of business is to visit a BAR Referee to make sure I can legally do this. Fairly certain I can, but want the o.k. from the SMOG police first. I know you can put newer engine/smog power in an older car, but not vice'versa.

If all of this pans out, I'll be back for updates. Without using lots of picture space here, my website is http://www.weendoggy.com/mustang/mustang.htm or in my signature.

mymustang.jpg
Picture of car as advertised.

Thanks.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We have a member on one of these sites that put a Toyota 2jz in his sn and got it to pass smog and it has that fancy California tag saying it’s ok.

Moral of this story, if he can put a jap motor in and pass then you can with a coyote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delling3

Reaction score
Looking at your website - pretty cool. I like what you have done. I do have a question though. Looks like an O/R X-pipe. How do you stay legal in Cali?

OP
OP
weendoggy

weendoggy

Reaction score
Update: May 2021 Time has finally come. Coyote swap is in it's infancy right now. Waiting for title of surplus title and then the work starts. I have a Gen I that is going in my '02 GT. Plan is HUGE! Here, you just can't use the Ford control pack and install. First, that is illegal in CA and for "off road use only" Duh! I know I have everything because I have an entire car to get what I need. :) Don't mind doing the work, just have a few projects ahead of it. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Venompower

Reaction score
Purchased my 2002 GT in late 2018. Wanted a street/track car to supplement my other street/track car. Keeping it street legal in the grand state of CA, is a PITA for sure. But as they say, there are some things that can be done. I'm not one to have a car just sit and that's the reason for the street version. By track event, I mean road course, I don't drag race.

Cut to the chase now, after doing as much as I can to squeeze as much as I can out of the car, I'm now looking into a Coyote swap! First order of business is to visit a BAR Referee to make sure I can legally do this. Fairly certain I can, but want the o.k. from the SMOG police first. I know you can put newer engine/smog power in an older car, but not vice'versa.

If all of this pans out, I'll be back for updates. Without using lots of picture space here, my website is www.weendoggy.com or in my signature.

mymustang.jpg

Picture of car as advertised.

Thanks.

California allows the installation of any engine that is newer than the vehicle it's going in. So as long as you have your emissions correct, they will allow the swap.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/after...-requirements-6-8-18-arb-website-download.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
weendoggy

weendoggy

Reaction score
Not to worry. I was in this business my entire life and know the laws here. Already conversed with BAR about it as well. Even though CA allows this, sometimes it's a PITA, that's why you can't just listen to everyone on the Internet and YouTube. :) Thanks for the link too. Have that tagged for awhile.

Venompower

Reaction score
Not to worry. I was in this business my entire life and know the laws here. Already conversed with BAR about it as well. Even though CA allows this, sometimes it's a PITA, that's why you can't just listen to everyone on the Internet and YouTube. :) Thanks for the link too. Have that tagged for awhile.
No problem, saw your initial post and just wanted to share. I could never live in California as much as I love the State based on all the automotive regulations.

joe65

Reaction score
No problem, saw your initial post and just wanted to share. I could never live in California as much as I love the State based on all the automotive regulations.

Agree, but its coming to a lot more states before too long. I live in a County here in Colorado that was emissions testing free about 5 years ago, now we have emissions and it seems to get more and more strict every time i take a car in for testing. I'm having to base what i do on my car now around what i can get away with. not much, these days. I really wanted a turbo Mustang but unless i move i don't get to. Unless its factory turbo.

Venompower

Reaction score
Agree, but its coming to a lot more states before too long. I live in a County here in Colorado that was emissions testing free about 5 years ago, now we have emissions and it seems to get more and more strict every time i take a car in for testing. I'm having to base what i do on my car now around what i can get away with. not much, these days. I really wanted a turbo Mustang but unless i move i don't get to. Unless its factory turbo.
Since my car is a 96' it's not subject to emissions testing here in Illinois... the 13' 4Runner it but I leave that alone.

OP anymore pictures of the car?

Makoto

Reaction score
you'd be better served by through the floor subframe connectors and suspension mods tbh. more power will only make all of the suspension inadequacies worse.

OP
OP
weendoggy

weendoggy

Reaction score
Venom,
Pictures and all the work is on my website. The car is setup pretty good right now, just need more HP without going a SC route, which I don't like and then still having a 2v.

Makoto,
That work has already been done.

I'll post a few more pics of the car as it is now (on my rack) and the donor that's in the front yard. Just waiting for paperwork so I can start the disassembly. I'm already tired thinking about it. ;)

OP
OP
weendoggy

weendoggy

Reaction score
02now.jpg
My current toys. '02 Mustang GT (will run until I'm ready for the swap) and the F5 Cobra, which I've had for over 20yrs.
Below is the 2013 Mustang GT, which is the donor for my project.
13donor.jpg

Since my car is a 96' it's not subject to emissions testing here in Illinois... the 13' 4Runner it but I leave that alone.

OP anymore pictures of the car?

new50.jpg
Above is the Coyote engine that will be going in my current '02 Mustang, shown below.
All the items on the engine are CARB approved for use in CA. :)
old46.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online