Attempted to Set valve timing (for a second time)...problems. :/

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
After completing my PI swap with windsor heads (only thing I could find good used), I attempted to start the engine and no luck. After checking a few things I have come to realize that the timing was off. I disassembled my timing cover and valve covers to find out that I was at least 3-4 teeth off on both sides. Immediately i proceeded to re- set the timing. I lined it up perfectly and then rotated the engine clockwise. It seemed to rotate fine and then I noticed that the marks aren't lining up anymore after the 10th rotation I wont match up again at all. It gets about 3 teeth closer to the mark but that is it. I notice the chain slacks on one side and keeps tension on the other on the 1-2-3-4 bank, however I did not notice it on the 5-6-7-8 bank. My main question, do I have to get a timing kit from a 2000 mustang (windsor)? Mine was not worn at all but I did replace the tensioners with new ones. Do you think I am having issues with the tensioners? ideas? thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

Turbo2vGT

Reaction score
Don't worry about the marks not lining up after you rotate it. They wont. They only need to line up when you are timing it. As for the slack, you may have a bad tensioner. After you set the timing, keep rotating it and see if the slack goes away. I did timing on my friend's GT and had the same issue. Can't remember as to what I did to get rid of the slack, but it tightened up after a couple back and forth rotations. I think it may have been that the crank gear wasn't on 100% to the crank. So make sure everything is flush and where it should be (tensioners, guides/arms, gears and chains).

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Well the key factor to setting valve timing...is when you set it to make sure cylinder 1 or 5 is at TDC, if its not....your fuucked. Other then that once you set the gears and the crank, Torque the cam bolts, and rotate, it should be fine.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Yeah I set the timing again and unfortunately it didnt work again. I want to make sure that I am TDC on #1 and I was thinking of getting a tool to help me. any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online