Audio Options????

94StewFord

Reaction score
My car came stock with the Mach460 system. Head unit with tape player and separate CD player. What options are there? Adding Bluetooth is a must, can I keep one and replace the other? New Head unit and keep the CD player (I still have a ton of CD's, yeah I am old)

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated, thank you!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you having issues with the battery dying? I ask because the mach amps have a known problem of staying on and killing batteries and driving people crazy as they try to figure out why. Another problem is that the speakers are old and normally dry rotted by now. Because of this I normally recommend replacing the deck and speakers and bypassing all the stock amp wiring.

TrickVert

Reaction score
What results are you looking for? If all you want is Bluetooth capability, like the existing system, and don't care about loss of fidelity, just get a BT-to-FM converter and call it good. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

But no, you can't change out the factory radio head unit and keep the CD. They're a set.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
are you having issues with the battery dying? I ask because the mach amps have a known problem of staying on and killing batteries and driving people crazy as they try to figure out why. Another problem is that the speakers are old and normally dry rotted by now. Because of this I normally recommend replacing the deck and speakers and bypassing all the stock amp wiring.
No sir, but then again I just got the car! ;)

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
What results are you looking for? If all you want is Bluetooth capability, like the existing system, and don't care about loss of fidelity, just get a BT-to-FM converter and call it good. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

But no, you can't change out the factory radio head unit and keep the CD. They're a set.
I already have Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 separates, 10" subs (need to make or purchase an enclosure) and amps for all the separates and subs. Need to figure out if I need to replace the rear separates or just leave alone as they don't add much after what I will be adding. I am an audiophile on top of being a car enthusiast, so I need my music! ;)

TrickVert

Reaction score
You just answered your own question, then. Aftermarket head unit with a CD/DVD player. Many people have fit double-DIN units if you're so inclined. I opted for a single-DIN Kenwood Excelon flip-face unit installed in the CD location and a factory HU from an SVT Contour in the upper slot to keep a factory (read "not-worth-stealing") look, and to get back a clock after installing a digital boost gauge in the clock pod.

Here's the flip-face in action. (The Ford deck's power antenna lead triggers the Kenwood.)

On the rear speakers, the stage and quality on my setup with 6.5 separates in the factory front locations and a single 12" sub in the spare tire well sound great. I did install a component set in back, but it's not amped, so it may as well not be there at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
You just answered your own question, then. Aftermarket head unit with a CD/DVD player. Many people have fit double-DIN units if you're so inclined. I opted for a single-DIN Kenwood Excelon flip-face unit installed in the CD location and a factory HU from an SVT Contour in the upper slot to keep a factory (read "not-worth-stealing") look, and to get back a clock after installing a digital boost gauge in the clock pod.

Here's the flip-face in action. (The Ford deck's power antenna lead triggers the Kenwood.)

On the rear speakers, the stage and quality on my setup with 6.5 separates in the factory front locations and a single 12" sub in the spare tire well sound great. I did install a component set in back, but it's not amped, so it may as well not be there at all.
Where did you mount your amplifier’s?

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score

I like it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
one is under the radio in the dash and the other two are on teh bottom of the rear enclosure. If you pop the trunk and stick your head in it you can see them.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Where did you mount your amplifier’s?
I used an old Soundstream 5-channel amp, and mounted it in the convertible top well. With the front wall installed, and a piece of carpeting on the trunk floor, both the amp and the sub are hidden.

EDIT: And yes, I used ice guard. At the time, there were no economical options for "real" sound deadening materials.

DSC00845.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online