auto trans question (1996 GT)

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
okay so no one shoot me because im ignorant.
im doin 120 down the highway from classes last night and
all the sudden my car decides to find another gear....wtf? ive been at 125 before and i tought id maxed out, even though it was still pulling a little bit. but this time it shifted back to like 4K and just kept on chugging along......
how many gears does the aod-e have? is it 4 gears with o/d being a fifth?
or 3 gears with o/d being a 4th? or if im wrong what the he** is the o/d? im completley clueless about autos....
and why has it never shifted down like that before? any help would be greatly apreciated.

96gt226410

Reaction score
After a certain speed your trans will downshift because your overdrive isn't made for high speed. If you were to hit your top speed, your car would be in 3rd gear, not overdrive. I guess the top speed for overdrive is right around 125 MPH and after that, no matter what load is on the car, your car will downshift into 3rd.

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
whats weird is it was at like 130 at that point,
when it shifted into o/d it felt like it was still pulling....
like i said though i have no idea what goes on in a auto...

ripper

Reaction score
130 on the street? Dude you got more balls then this old man.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i felt a shift, i was on my way home from vaca and i saw a m3 (pretty nice looking all blacked out) just fly by me, i took off too and had it up to 130, and around 125 i felt it shift. As soon as i started breaking to about 80 i saw a statie in the ditch near the breakdown lane and he was pulling out, i guess he saw nothing :dancing6: :banana: O0

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
not much :noes:
i think like at most youd want like 400ft/lb tq.
i really wouldt take that kinda chance. when i start upgrading im goin to a c4

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
ive been to 135 in my aod in 4th..never downshifts..what are you talkin about..haha my 3rd ends at like 115

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
the 4th is the overdrive i think..... :slap:
i have no idea
it just scared the bejezus outta me when it shifted at 130

smokinya9

Reaction score
if you stay full throttle some times the computer will not shift into overdrive however if you ease off the pedal a bit it will shift then get back into it you should be able to do about 145 in a stock auto thats what my 98 gt would do. not much differance from the aode

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
cool.
i raced a GTI going home and we cruised up to about 140 but just a hair short....
dang

voidfinger

Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen to me one day. I was slowly going up and at 125/130 it shifted to another gear from the o/d and i counted the gears and there is something else there......I don't know what but when it did it shot me up to about 145/155 in a matter of seconds when i wasn't at WOT and it bout maid me shit my pants. But there is something strang about that. I got the 17 inch rims with the optional 3.27 gears. But it wasn't in third and then went to o/d but it was in o/d and went to something else. I might have to go talk to some guys at ford about that. Also, in the 96-98 cars the trans isn't a AOD-E its a 4R70W which is a modified AOD-E and i've heard that these trans could hold 500 hp and around 450 flb of torque with no problem, but that the converters couldn't handle it. Thats what i heard and this is my .02 O0

voidfinger

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
cool.
i raced a GTI going home and we cruised up to about 140 but just a hair short....
dang

Hey man i'm just going to say not to go so fast on public roads b/c at that speed if you hit a bump in the road/ a dip/ or run off the road. Its all over man, I saw one of the sn mustangs hit 150 and hit a dip and the front end shot up and did a flip and landed on the top and went everywhere. So please be careful and the one time i did go that fast it scared the hell outa me so i'm not doing it again. Sorry and i don't mean to preach, just warning. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah