Back and forth...

Daywalker

Reaction score
Alright, I keep going back and forth about what to do to my GT next. I want more power, and I'm becoming impatient. I want a blower, then I want a PI swap, then I want a blower. I'm losing my mind here!!! :D I was on the whole "blower" kick for a few weeks, but now I've come back to the good ol PI swap. There are a few companies that are planning on having turbo kits available for 96-98GTs here in the next few months. So, once I do the PI swap, can't I use some different head gaskets in order to keep the compression down? If anyone could help me that would be great. What kind do I need, where do I get em from, and how much will they hit me for? I wanna keep my compression the same so I'll be able to safely run a turbo set-up in the NEAR future. Thanks a lot everyone...... :pimp2:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i would just find a PI motor instead of doing the PI swap if you want to go turbo...what would be ideal is to get forged internals and the PI swap, basically making it a stronger PI motor and you can make it to have low compression...and if you go to turbomustangs.com, you can see people doing there own turbo kits for very cheap.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Only thing is, I have NO idea where to even start. I would love to do my own kit, but I don't have the tools. Either way, I'd have to pay a shop to install it. And with something custom fabricated, the shop either isn't going to do it, or they're gonna charge me an arm and a leg to do it...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
your in Cali so deal with MMR, www.modularmustangracing.com they have nice forged shortblocks at good prices, they have fairly cheap ported heads and they make some of the fastest modular cars in the country. Give them a call and discuss things with them...i've bought a few things from them and they were nice and knew everything i asked them.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's a good shop for ya.

as far as the PI swap, Yes do that! It will be a limitation to you adding a blower.
The "gasket" you can get is the Cometic gasket. it's kind spendy though.

There's a lot of hype about the higher comperssion. A good tuner can tune it to run just fine.
you'll be limited to low 400 HP anyway because of the rods/pistions.

A PI motorswap would also be a good option, then you wouldn't have to mess with the install or compression difference.
Good luck!
I know how you feel on the waiting. i've owned my car for 10 years, and STILL don't have a blower!

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I may have a line on a motor out of an 01 Cobra. I've got a local shop that says they can swap it for $700! They also told me that I won't need to buy any elecs, cause they can just re-wire my ECU to work with this motor. They also say that as long as I have the Cobra headers on it, that they'll bolt up to my "GT" Pro Chamber. Anyone else see any holes in that? The ECU thing I trust, but the header fitment sounds fishy. What do you all think? :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sounds good to me, didn't they do away with the IMRC's in 99 so shouldn't have an issue with the ECU.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I was talking to my tuner yesterday, he does a lot of 4V swaps.
they can reuse the computer now, and retune it. He said it's tricky, but he can DO ITT.
accessories, hedders, fuel system.... what else.?

I dunno on the x bolting up, is the couple in the same place?

anyway 700 bucks is amazing for that!

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but they must have it down in order to offer that kinda price I guess. I'm still on the hunt for a 4V...

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
Well, the deal I thought I had goin on the Cobra motor fell through, looks like I'm still on the hunt. I was told that the heads already flow VERY well, and I wouldn't gain much power having them worked on. Any truth to this?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daywalker said:
Well, the deal I thought I had goin on the Cobra motor fell through, looks like I'm still on the hunt. I was told that the heads already flow VERY well, and I wouldn't gain much power having them worked on. Any truth to this?
4V heads?

I don't think porting does a whole lot. but cams do!
4 cams aint cheap, to be sure. But they get good gains.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I would put cams in it, but I want to Turbo/Supercharge it eventually so I think I'd leave em stock. Just found another guy that has an 03 Mach 1 motor with 33K for $3000. Think that's a good deal, or should I offer less?

svtboy

Reaction score
pi cams and intake with a s-trim.
I have seen used s-trims go for $1,800 pi cams $100 pi intakes $100
best power for the money besides Nitrous

then find you a 99up shortblock and rebuild it while you are running s-trim

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I'm just weighing the options ya know? With the Mach 1 engine, I'm gonna end up spending about five grand all together. That's including labor, tuning, exhaust, etc. But the big thing that's pushing me in that direction is the fact that I'd be going from 88K miles, down to 33K miles. Not to mention, I'd be starting with a much better powerplant. But I'm still undecided, I may just do a PI swap for now and see how long that satisfies me....

Whistler98

Reaction score
I went back and forth just like you are doing and I finally decided on just putting a blower on the car at 82,000 miles and now it has 94,000 miles on it and is still running great, and giving me time to save for a short block in the future. With a good tune it will last. I had to just make a decsion b/c I couldn't decide. I am happy I went with the blower though.

OP
OP
D

Daywalker

Reaction score
I was kinda thinkin of doing the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. I'm REALLY nervous about blowing the motor with boost, but a forged shortblock is gonna cost me like $3000!!! The guys who wants to build me a shortblock is also telling me that Centri blowers and Turbos are a waste of money, because the Twin Screw beats them all. He has a thing with KB though, so that may be why he's biased. I dunno what in the hell to do anymore really. :nonono: If I did a PI swap now, would I have to buy a KB for 99+ GTs? Is there anything else that's different other than the manifold fitting?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daywalker said:
I was kinda thinkin of doing the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. I'm REALLY nervous about blowing the motor with boost, but a forged shortblock is gonna cost me like $3000!!! The guys who wants to build me a shortblock is also telling me that Centri blowers and Turbos are a waste of money, because the Twin Screw beats them all.

That's really a dumb quote, and is subject to debate, and what you want to use your car for.
In a nut shell:
Posative Displacement is Great on the street BC you get the instant torque.
Centrificals are great because the consistantly increase in power, traction isn't such an issue and a lot of ppl like the increasing feel they get.
Turbo's are kind of in the middle, and are more efficient.
This could go on and on, but any blower is a big improvement, and in NO way is a waste.

It really comes down to your budget and what you want from the car.

If I did a PI swap now, would I have to buy a KB for 99+ GTs? Is there anything else that's different other than the manifold fitting?
Yes you would get a 99+ kit.

So many options :)

svtboy

Reaction score
Daywalker said:
I was kinda thinkin of doing the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. I'm REALLY nervous about blowing the motor with boost, but a forged shortblock is gonna cost me like $3000!!! The guys who wants to build me a shortblock is also telling me that Centri blowers and Turbos are a waste of money, because the Twin Screw beats them all. He has a thing with KB though, so that may be why he's biased. I dunno what in the hell to do anymore really. :nonono: If I did a PI swap now, would I have to buy a KB for 99+ GTs? Is there anything else that's different other than the manifold fitting?

Actually Turbo's beat them all... But they just cost alot more more than a kennebelle or a vortech. I have a twin screw car now and if I where you I would get the vortech due to cost. A KB kit is going to cost you $4000 and you can pick up the vortech alot cheaper. I would go with the PI cam and intake swap with the S-trim if your budget is around $2000. If your budget is $5000 then get a 99 up shortblock and rebuild it with forged internals and go with the S-trim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online