Back from the dead - Coyote swap

03torchgt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I apologize in advance if there’s already one of these threads out there but I wasn’t able to find it. After years of trying to decide which direction I want to go with my car I’ve decided to go with a coyote swap. This is by far the biggest project I’ve ever taken on so my main goal with this thread is to make sure I have everything I need so I can start purchasing parts. If you notice something that I missed, something I could do without for now, or have any suggestions please let me know! My goal with this is to get it back on the road and to car shows; I will occasionally be getting on it but nothing crazy. Unfortunately I will have to pay someone to do the work and would like to keep this build as close to $20k as possible; do you think that’s doable?

Obviously I’ll need the engine $3-5k

UPR K Member $900

94-04 Mustang 5.0L Coyote Swap Chrome Moly K Member Kit (uprproducts.com)

Control Pack – Cheaper options? Power by the hour? $2600

CONTROL PACK - 2015-17 COYOTE 5.0L MANUAL TRANSMISSION| Part Details for M-6017-504V | Ford Performance Parts

Fuel System – Return Style $1100

Lethal Performance 99-04 Mustang Coyote Swap Return Style Fuel System

BBK Longtube headers $900

BBK 02 extensions $70

PBH Accessory drive – Clutchless alt pulley?$750

Naturally Aspirated Speed Drive for 5.0L Coyote - Power By The Hour (pbhperformance.com)

Engine harness $300

Ford FU5Z-12A581-E Mustang Engine Harness Kit 2015-2017 Manual Transmission 4V 5.0L Coyote (cjponyparts.com)

Pedal bracket $90

Coyote Swap Gas Pedal Adapter for 1979-2004 Mustang - Power By The Hour (pbhperformance.com)

Oil filter screw adapter $30

UPR Battery relocation kit $170

UPR Mustang Battery Relocation Kit (79-22) - LMR.com

Coyote mini starter $280

HIGH-TORQUE MINI STARTER - 5.0L COYOTE AND MODULAR ENGINES| Part Details for M-11000-C50 | Ford Performance Parts

Mcleod twin disc clutch $950

McLeod Racing 6335807 RST Twin Disc Power Pack | Order Your 6335807 RST McLeod Twin Disc Power Pack (26 Spline) for the 2007-2009 GT500 and the 1996-2000 Mustang GT, Cobra and Mach-1 at Lethal Performance

Alternator $270

Tune $800-900

Oil Pump gears/Sprocket $330

Boundary Engineering 2015-2020 Mustang 5.0L / 5.2L GT350 Billet Oil Pump Gears and Crankshaft Sprocket Combo (lethalperformance.com)

Flywheel $400

Spec 2011-2017 5.0L Mustang Billet Aluminum Flywheel (lethalperform

Snorky

Reaction score
The problem I see with the plan and budget is the labor costs. They will be through the roof. That's the hard part of figuring out if it will be in your budget

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m assuming your car is an 03, based on your user name. Is that correct?

Go for a different option on the k member. Upr k members are not typically known for quality. I had one, it was miserable. I replaced it with a bmr k member and it is much better. The k member made for your car will work, you don’t need a special swap k member because the coyote uses the same motor mounts as the 4.6l.

You could use the control pack or you could use a Holley terminator x max. I would ask the installer which option they would prefer. Either way, both of them should come with an engine harness, so you shouldn’t need that separately. I know Holley does, I’m not 100% on the control pack.

I would explore options on the clutch. Some kits come with a flywheel included. I’ve got a ram twin disc in my swap car and I think they are cheaper than piecing that setup together.

I have the bbk headers on my car, and I do not like them. I am going to ultimate headers. The biggest reason I don’t like the bbk is because of transmission clearance. You have to pull the passenger header to r&r the transmission. The ultimate headers are ~$1600.

Good luck, keep us posted, and get pictures.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
FYI, my shop recently quoted a coyote swap and it ended up somewhere around $30k. But I’m pretty sure that was with us finding the engine.

OP
OP

03torchgt

Reaction score
You guys got me worried about the labor costs now lol I’m going to meet with a shop on Friday so we’ll see what they say. Thanks for the heads up on the k member! I’ll have to check out the terminator x. It is an 03 and I’m in Iowa.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you intend to do with the car. I just finished my '02 swap and did all the work myself, sans a bit of tig welding, but it can be done. You have a lot to figure out. I used a Gen 1 from a salvage title Mustang I purchased and that doesn't need a tune. Also agree on the "K" member, I use MM. Forget the Coyote starter and use your 4.6 one, it's much smaller and easier to fit. If you use a "pallet" donor, you don't need much other than maybe a chassis harness (PBR). There's so much more to figure out and it'll eat up that budget in a hurry, especially if someone else is doing the work.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you intend to do with the car. I just finished my '02 swap and did all the work myself, sans a bit of tig welding, but it can be done. You have a lot to figure out. I used a Gen 1 from a salvage title Mustang I purchased and that doesn't need a tune. Also agree on the "K" member, I use MM. Forget the Coyote starter and use your 4.6 one, it's much smaller and easier to fit. If you use a "pallet" donor, you don't need much other than maybe a chassis harness (PBR). There's so much more to figure out and it'll eat up that budget in a hurry, especially if someone else is doing the work.
You got your starters backwards brother. At least for a gen 2. The 15-17 mustang starter is much smaller than the 4.6 starter. I just went through this. 901DAC69-0296-4D8D-B9D3-F087022554D2.png

weendoggy

Reaction score
Maybe so, but my 4.6 was much smaller than the Gen 1. I guess any mod starter would work. So brother, bigger is not always better. :p

james_bobholz

Reaction score
Where in Iowa are you located? I am in Wisconsin and if not to far would be willing to do the swap for you and keep it within your budget

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
First of all, if you're only occasionally romping it, forget about oil pump gears and the crank sprocket.

Second, $900 for a K frame seems exceedingly high. Unless things've changed (which maybe they have to a point) a good K shouldn't cost that much. I will say for maximum street durability/longevity my only two choice for a K would either be Maximum Motorsports or Kenny Brown. I just don't know if I could trust the integrity of any other type of K frame to stand up to the rigors of the open roads.

OP
OP

03torchgt

Reaction score
Where in Iowa are you located? I am in Wisconsin and if not to far would be willing to do the swap for you and keep it within your budget

Hey I really appreciate that! I actually found a guy who is local who will be taking care of everything for me though.

I also pulled the trigger on a motor/trans out of a 2019 bullitt. Thank you all for the great feedback!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
What are your transmission goals? That remote shifter is going to be a PAIN to get right in your car.

OP
OP

03torchgt

Reaction score
Keeping the mt82 for now. Hopefully it’s not too difficult lol

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I won’t say it’s impossible but it’s not the road most take. I’m intrigued to see what you do.

OP
OP

03torchgt

Reaction score
The guy working on it didn’t seem too concerned but you’ve got me a little worried lol I’ll be sure to continue sharing.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The guy working on it didn’t seem too concerned but you’ve got me a little worried lol I’ll be sure to continue sharing.

You just need to see your transmission next to the MT82. The shifter obviously hangs off the rear of the case and that’s the issue. I believe MGW offers a “short conversion” to “case mount” the shifter but I’m 100% unsure if that’s ever been put into a 79-04 Chassis.

OP
OP

03torchgt

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online