Back into a Mustang!

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

A couple days ago I got back into a Mustang by picking up a 98 Cobra convertible. This is my 5th Mustang, and first Cobra. In order of ownership I have had a 94 GT, 67 fastback 390ci, 01 GT, 05 GT and now this Cobra. It is white with black top and saddle interior. Picked it up with 107k on the clock for well under book. I had been looking for some time. REALLY wanted a BAB but gave up getting one after not being able to find the right one for me for several months. My 94 was that color. Love it.... but white is nice! :grin:

Best pat (or not, read on...) is that it came with a Vortech V1 supercharger. Yes, this is awesome. But I have no idea how much boost it is running, what tune it is on or if anything else was done. There are some obvious mods such as an SLP exhaust, short throw shifter, lowered on Bilsteins, caster camber plates and various other small mods. But sadly I have no idea what was done to the motor outside of seeing the SC.

I know on some other cars I have owned you can contact popular tune companies with your vin and they can tell you what tune you have. Is there anything similar for these cars? I asked the dealer to contact the previous owner about this info, but unsure if I will get anywhere with that.

Thanks in advance for any help! I have a long road ahead of me to get this thing back to what it should be. Not that it is in terrible shape, but you can easily tell it is a 16 yr old car with normal wear on the interior and paint.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on how to find out what tune I might be running??

Man, I keep finding things to fix on this thing. TRied to swap out the Hurst T handle, and it sheared off the short throw shifter threads. Had to order a new one. It's fun driving without a handle...

RichV

Reaction score
The dealer wouldn't know, that was most likely done by an owner. Clean looking car!

Can you trace back the owners of it? Maybe give a call or email? Look for any receipts or signs of shops it's been to?

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
The dealer wouldn't know, that was most likely done by an owner. Clean looking car!

Can you trace back the owners of it? Maybe give a call or email? Look for any receipts or signs of shops it's been to?

Yeah, the dealer is trying to find out from the previous owner. Hopefully he makes some headway. I hate not knowing everything that was done.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you would probably have an easier time and get better info by doing some searches for the previous owner that did it and ask him. There are dozes of big companies that could have done it and then if you start to consider all the little shops and private people that email them and your search will be a needle in a haystack imo. Willing to bet if you took the car to the DMV they could do a search and find the previous owners. Make up a story that you need to contact them to ask about something safety related like an air bag code err that might mean the wrong bag was used or something and I bet they will be happy to help you in the name of safety.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
you would probably have an easier time and get better info by doing some searches for the previous owner that did it and ask him. There are dozes of big companies that could have done it and then if you start to consider all the little shops and private people that email them and your search will be a needle in a haystack imo. Willing to bet if you took the car to the DMV they could do a search and find the previous owners. Make up a story that you need to contact them to ask about something safety related like an air bag code err that might mean the wrong bag was used or something and I bet they will be happy to help you in the name of safety.

I might just do this...

97PacificGreen

Reaction score
Hey! That was the one at Reno Auto Center right. Saw it in person if it was super clean car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Hey! That was the one at Reno Auto Center right. Saw it in person if it was super clean car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! You are correct! One of the better examples I saw in my 6 month long search to get a Cobra convertible!

Upon closer inspection, it is not as clean as I thought though. Probably like 12 dings, various scratches with terrible touch up and just an overall ok look to the paint job. A lot is age, but some is just poor ownership IMO. Needs a good clay and buff job for sure. Interior is just normal wear for these cars though. Engine runs strong and good even with the SC on it.

Though lately I have developed a squeak/squeal that increases with idle. Sort of like a belt slipping, but it is not that. I am guessing a pulley. Comes from around the SC. Hope it's not the unit itself but a different one!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online