Back to the track on Saturday

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Well Im finally going back to the track Saturday. Its been about a month or so since ive been and I can't wait. Im hoping since its getting colder i might be able to run a better time than i have. Ive taken off my sway bar and strut tower brace which should help a lil. Im gonna take out my rear and passenger seat, everything from trunk. Im icing down the block and the lowering the pressure in the tires. Does anyone know of nething else i can do? I'm trying really hard to make this the best run since winter is coming quick and it'll be shut down for so long. Let me know ur opinions and tips. I'll post up my times and everything saturday night when i get home.

ALITL8

Reaction score
sounds like youve got a good plan. id like to know how you pulled off a 14.69 @ 92 in an almost stock GT "VERT"?!?!?!?! you must have had one hell of a 60', what kind of tires are you running?

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
sounds like youve got a good plan. id like to know how you pulled off a 14.69 @ 92 in an almost stock GT "VERT"?!?!?!?! you must have had one hell of a 60', what kind of tires are you running?

I think i usually get low 2.2 60' I'm still running my stock street tires. lol. They've been thru hell and back and they still got some good life in them. For the 14.69 I took out the passenger and rear seats, everything outta the trunk, had my rear tire pressure at around 18-20psi, and iced down the block before the run. I spun the tires to get the water off and launched at around 1500rpm. I had the same mods on that run as listed in my sig. A buddy of mine has really helped alot with pointers here and there. That guy can drive like a pro.

ALITL8

Reaction score
well im totally impressed!! this was my best ever full weight (3520 with me in it):

timeslip040106.jpg

that was on 315's, with most of the mods listed... no chip or tune. of course i dont have much track time under my belt either :dunno:

im gonna lose some weight (seats, sub woofer, spare), throw on some 315 DR's and see what happens in a couple of weeks. im hoping for low to mid 14's, my tuner said if i can drive it i might be a high 13's (i doubt that though).

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
well im totally impressed!! this was my best ever full weight (3520 with me in it):

timeslip040106.jpg

that was on 315's, with most of the mods listed... no chip or tune. of course i dont have much track time under my belt either :dunno:

im gonna lose some weight (seats, sub woofer, spare), throw on some 315 DR's and see what happens in a couple of weeks. im hoping for low to mid 14's, my tuner said if i can drive it i might be a high 13's (i doubt that though).

hmm.....what are u launching urs at? I usually launch around 1500 and spin a lil. i speed shift around 5500-6000rpms. Yeh i def reccomend taking as much as u can out of the car. Every lil bit helps. And really with ur trap speed id say u could hit a good mid 14 pass. O and ice the motor between passes. Just buy some 1 gallon zip lock bags so the ice doesn't melt everywhere. I also have 245's out back too so the smaller street tire might help me out a lil bit. I've only been to the track maybe 4 times with around 15 or so passes each time. Just really go out and have fun. Honestly on the 14.69 pass i was up against my buddy in his mach 1 so i knew i was gonna lose so i didn't worry so much about trying to win just trying to have fun and not look like a complete ass. lol. Ill let u and every1 else know how everything goes tomorrow. Heres hoping she comes back in one peice. :angel:

ALITL8

Reaction score
after talking to my tire guy he said the biggest difference in the 315/17's and the 245/16's is the contact patch (315>245). he said there isnt enough of a difference to worry about rotating mass so im going with what he says on tires.

i launch around 1500-1800 and i spin a good bit. could be track prep, could be the Sumitomo tires, i dont know. everyone says the tires make all the difference getting off the line so im gonna give it a shot :dunno:

looking forward to seeing your new times... have fun and be safe!!

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Alright just got back from the track and the results are great. Only got 4 runs in cuz it was packed with over 100 cars. And there were many many problems. There was an Rx-7 that broke its rear so that took around 45 minutes to get cleared. Alright but enough of that and on to the goodies. First of all there were major traction issues going on all day since it was so cold out. Only a high of 50-55 degrees.My scanner is working so ill type them out as best as i can.

1st run:

R/t... .490
60... 2.218
330... 6.163
1/8... 9.443
MPH.. 75.47
1000... 12.275
1/4... 14.672 (broke my previous record. Made me so happy ;D )
MPH 94.47

2nd run:
R/t... .370
60... 2.264
330... 6.204
1/8... 9.479
MPH.. 75.56
1000... 12.313
1/4... 14.702
MPH 94.67

3rd run:
R/t... .351
60... 2.280
330... 6.232
1/8... 9.519
MPH.. 75.26
1000... 12.353
1/4... 14.740
MPH 94.84 (fastest MPH ive ever had)

Alright before i list my 4th i just wanted so say that with all the traction issues we were having that day, hence the crappy 60's, I decided to try and slip the clutch and not launch so hard. For a first time i think i did ok.

4th run: :banana:

R/t... .100
60... 2.103 ( That was the highlight of my day. A killer 60 on street tires. )
330... 6.071
1/8... 9.369
MPH.. 74.73
1000... 12.216
1/4... 14.616 ( This is the fastest time i've ever run ) :dancing6:
MPH 94.20

All in all i had a really great time. Can't wait to get back next week. Let me know what all u think.

ALITL8

Reaction score
nice times man!!! so how and when do you shift... ever let up on the gas at all or are you just mashin it? whats your race weight? i know your car, even with your reductions, is probably as heavy as mine ???

im gonna be ticked off if i dont run a low/mid 14 now :(

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
nice times man!!! so how and when do you shift... ever let up on the gas at all or are you just mashin it? whats your race weight? i know your car, even with your reductions, is probably as heavy as mine ???

im gonna be ticked off if i dont run a low/mid 14 now :(

I shifted this past time at 6000k from 1st to 2nd then usually around 5500k which seemed to work best for me. I just shift as fast as i possibly can but not power shifting. Power shifting kinda scares me with a stock tranny. Ive never had my car weighted so i couldn't say how much it weighs. Im betting on alot tho. lol. I only let up on the gas to shift. When are u planning on going to the track again?

ALITL8

Reaction score
ive never wound mine out that far. i was told that due to my (all 96-98) torque falling of at around 3800 rpm that i was losing speed. i'll try winding it out a little more :dunno: your times and speed in a vert with the few mods and street tires in just unbelievable to me... i must be doing something wrong!!

im gonna try to make the track next weekend for some TNT b4 the Buick/Ford Shootout. ran into some electrical issues though. went to pick my daughter up at Sonic (she works there) and did a big smoky burnout for the employees (cause they dig that shit!!). anyway, pulled out onto the road and my best guess would be the alternator took a dump on me. oh well, its going to a buddies shop to get DR's and he said he'd get it fixed up for me. i detail his rides... he's the one with the 11 sec. coupe in the Multimedia section.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I've only taken mine to the track once this year. It was an embarassing 13.6 @ 109.

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
ive never wound mine out that far. i was told that due to my (all 96-98) torque falling of at around 3800 rpm that i was losing speed. i'll try winding it out a little more :dunno: your times and speed in a vert with the few mods and street tires in just unbelievable to me... i must be doing something wrong!!

im gonna try to make the track next weekend for some TNT b4 the Buick/Ford Shootout. ran into some electrical issues though. went to pick my daughter up at Sonic (she works there) and did a big smoky burnout for the employees (cause they dig that shit!!). anyway, pulled out onto the road and my best guess would be the alternator took a dump on me. oh well, its going to a buddies shop to get DR's and he said he'd get it fixed up for me. i detail his rides... he's the one with the 11 sec. coupe in the Multimedia section.

Yeh i would say to wind it out to around 5k. Doesn't that suck when u try to show off a lil and something breaks. :( Yeh i've been there too.

ALITL8

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
I've only taken mine to the track once this year. It was an embarassing 13.6 @ 109.

id be happy as hell with a 13.nething

VertTireSmoke said:
Yeh i would say to wind it out to around 5k. Doesn't that suck when u try to show off a lil and something breaks. :( Yeh i've been there too.

gotter all fixed up now... new interstate battery and an alternator.

GTPowered4.6L

Reaction score
Well fellas you can believe it lol. I saw him do it. I ran my exhaust only 98 GT vert and ran a 14.8 as a best time with a 96 MPH Trap speed. This past time out though I didnt get into the 14's. My best 60ft so far is a 2.3 :rant:

ALITL8

Reaction score
er uh, the 98's actually came with a little more pep than the 96/97's... 10hp more if im not mistaken. however, thats still a very nice time for a stockish vert :thumb:

i could suck as a driver too :dunno:

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
ALITTL8, did u ever make it to the track? Never heard nething more about it. Just wondering how well u did if u did make it.

ALITL8

Reaction score
yeppers, posted in "New Personal Best 1/4 mi."

i think it was 14.647 @ 93 or 94ish... my car is still down at a buddies house with all my time slips in it. im probably going back this weekend to work on my times a little more :thumb:

i actually have one of the time slips here...

r/t .853 (dont want to talk about it... ive done MUCH better)
60' 2.129
330' 6.137
1/8 9.460
MPH 74.25
1000 12.329
1/4 14.743
MPH 93.67

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Awesome. Congrats on the better time. What did u shift at this time and how did u like the DR's? Lots better than street tires huh.

ALITL8

Reaction score
VertTireSmoke said:
Awesome. Congrats on the better time. What did u shift at this time and how did u like the DR's? Lots better than street tires huh.

i ran it out as far as 5800 a couple of times. i basically just shifted when it felt like it was falling off. i know my torque falls off a lot sooner than that but she was running strong. i had 96+ octane runnin in her vains on my 91 and 96 race tunes during qualifying and eliminations. ran my best (the 14.647 @ 93.17) on the 91 race tune and a good launch (2.001 60' :thumb:). what i need to work on is heating up the tires, everyone said i wasnt getting them hot enough... still spun a bit.

the cool thing is; on the 96 race tune, pulling my average 2.2ish 60', i ran a 14.791 @ 93.86. that proves that my tune made 2/10's even with my shitty skills... shes got a low 14 in'er!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online