backfiring...what should my fuel pressure be set to with AFPR?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well lately my cars been backfiring on me. Its when I giver in 1st up to about 5,000rpm+ then drop it in 2nd and floor it (ie, racing etc).

Any suggestions? I did install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail pressure gauge and my mechanic said he bumped it up for me a bit. I did notice a bit of a power gain to tell ya the truth, but mabye its a bit too high and thats whats causing this? What should I set it to? I have a Mild H/C/I setup.

Thanks

rgs

Reaction score
matt our combos are a lot alike.

i got mine set to around 37-38 i believe with vac on

EThorpe

Reaction score
Sounds like it's a bit rich, don't blow the mufflers out :p

Did this happen after the new Regulator was installed? Bump it back to stock and see it the backfire goes away? I think the normal pressure is about @36-40psi and drops to about 30'ish psi on the stomp. If it still backfires after you put it back to stock? then maybe a Plug wire is biting the dust under a load?

Do you have a timing adjuster+chip in that car? Bump the timing up a little when you rich'n that shit up.

EThorpe

Reaction score
Well? what happen'd? Did you fix it? What was it :dunno: To rich?

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
WOW....My fuel pressure must of been at like 45ish before because it was @40 with the vaccume line on.

Anyways I bumped it down to 38 with the line off, it didnt back fire in 2nd any more but i got some backfiring on light throttle at lower rpms in 3rd and 4th. I put it up to around 40 and got a bit of both now, I just turned it down to 39 hopefully thats the sweet spot.

BUT hot damn, the car pulls like I remember it pulling when it had the stock AFPR and then some, wow feels like its got a lot more balls now.

G

GREG@SN95

adjust yer timing...

if you want you could increase the timing a bit and run 93... thats what i did... felt much nicer after i did that... first free mod i did to my car, lol...

but i think it could use a nice timimg adjust and what octane fuel do you run?

97vertstang

Reaction score
bump ur timing back to 16 and make sure ur whole ignition is in good working order.coil, wires, cap, and rotor.if evrythings good it shouldnt backfire at all at 35-40 vac off.

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got the pressure at 42 now and it doesnt backfire at all. Seemed to pull a bit harder down at like 39 but I got some backfiring? I got fairly new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. I run 94 Octaine. I think I might put my timining up even more from 14 to mabye 16* again???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online