Backseat headrest pad repair... how to!

Discussion in 'Tech Articles, How-To's & Write Ups' started by Boomer8404, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Boomer8404

Boomer8404 New Member

Hi everybody, I have created a fix for the mounting tabs that break off the backseat headrest pad. Two of the three tabs were broken on mine and I decided to break the last one off and make 3 new mounting tabs. Sorry if the pictures aren't that good, I used my potato (iPhone 5S). I hope this might help some of you guys fix your broken headrests.

The tabs are made out of some 16ga 2" aluminum angle stock I got from Lowes (the purple paint marked piece). The pieces are cut to 2" long. I probably could have gone with something a little thinner, but I'd be afraid it would be too flimsy. This 16ga 2" was some I just had laying around, and it felt right for the job.
    [​IMG]

To drill the holes for the tab mounting screws, I sharpened up a self-drilling screw, ground down a phillips screwdriver bit for clearance and used a small hand held ratcheting bit driver for turning the screw.
    [​IMG]

It only took about 30 seconds per hole. Worked surprisingly well, for all 6 of them that I had to drill.
    [​IMG]

I used 2 #8x.5" self-drilling screws to fasten the new angle tabs to the headrest.
    [​IMG]

The 90 degree angle has to be opened up a little bit to match the angle of the plastic of the headrest.
    [​IMG]

I then test fitted and marked the tab to body mount bolt holes.
    [​IMG]

I removed the tabs from the headrest to drill the body mount holes, remounted the tabs to the headrest and bolted the headrest back in place. Nice and solid now.
    [​IMG]

Job done! It took me a little over an hour to complete.
    [​IMG]

2. sn95 bullitt

sn95 bullitt Well-Known Member

Very nice.

3. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

nice work.

4. Kboss87

Kboss87 Member

Nice! I did something similar to my previous new edge.

5. 9838stang

9838stang Well-Known Member

why didn't I think of that? I have tons of aluminum stock. And might have to start making some of my own. Thanks for the how to

6. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

excellent idea! Those stupid things always break

7. ttocs

ttocs Legend

nice repair. I am looking sooooooo forward to when I get to take that POS out and make a cover for the rear seat delete that flows right up into where it use to be and into the new package tray. I always thought ford did a pretty good job on fitting all the trim piece but the gap on either side of that thing has always annoyed me

8. Ineedav8

Ineedav8 Active Member

Sweet! Good write up may have to tackle this when I get it re-wrapped