Bad Ass Engine Combo Question. Help !!!

IMPORTKILLER

Reaction score
OK, Here is the deal............I have a 96 Cobra with no power adders aside from bolt ons. I am ready for some serious power but don't have 5-6k to spend on a Procharger ect. I think I have come up with a simple cost effective way to give our 96-98 N/A cobras the heart and soul of the 03-04 terminator. All of the 96-98's have the aluminum cobra block,4-bolt mains and a forged crank. These blocks are said to be able to handle up to 1000 hp from what I have been told from the boys at DSS. As we all know the weakest link is the rods/pistons. They are not forged like a 03-04 cobras. Here is my plan. I want to spend $ 1500 on my current short block in replacing the rods/pistons with forged Manley and mahle pistons. This is the price from DSS. My next step is to find 03-04 cobra heads from a bone yard/ebay/ or if i have to from the ford racing catalog. These heads complete will run me around 1500-2000k if I can get em used. Next I will need to purchase the upper and lower intake from a 03-04 cobra which will set me back about 500-700 hundo.Now here is the good stuff !!! Many of our 03-04 brothers are spoiled with .........well power. Many of them are upgrading to a Kenne Bell blower. This is a very common upgrade for these cars. However that old " stock" blower now is worthless to them and is collecting dust in the corner of their garage. I have seen them sell for as low as 500 bucks !!!! Now we all know that the 03-04 cobras in stock form can produce in the 500hp range with a good tune/pulley upgrade and exhaust. Well I dint know bout you but 500 hp sounds just about right . Oh..........mot to mention 22 mpg and the driveability of a Lincoln Town Car. If you have the october issue of Muscle Mustangs check out the write up on page 142.It really is sick what that stock 03-04 set up is capable of. What is the difference between the new Aluminator blocks and ours ??? Will 03-04 heads bolt up ?? I know that I would need to change my ignition possibly the harness. Will a 03-04 Brain box work with our vintage??I think this can be done but I am no expert. If anyone has tried this combo can you please let me know if it worked or not and you final cost. Thanks !!!!! :thumb:

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
With what you are talking about doing it will still be in the 5-6k range just from the prices you have listed.

$1500 on your short block
$1500 for heads
$2000+ for the supercharger set up

I am in the process of buying the parts for the Eaton swap on my Mach powered 1966 Coup. I have about $2000 into the parts and I still need more.

The heads will bolt up no problem, and you won't have to change your ignition set up. Ours will work fine.

You would be better off going out and finding a 03/04 Cobra engine and harness, then bolting it in your car. That is if you have the $7k+ to buy it.

OP
OP
I

IMPORTKILLER

Reaction score
You are probably right. I should just look to purchase a used 03-04 complete assembly. Yes I know that 5-6k estimate is what I would spend on my combo ....However I would also have a new motor and forged bottom end. Thanks for your response.

NERD

Reaction score
Good luck finding a full terminator engine assembly. Last one I found, they wanted 13k because it had a KB and they wouldn't separate.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
sxynerd said:
Good luck finding a full terminator engine assembly. Last one I found, they wanted 13k because it had a KB and they wouldn't separate.

You can get a complete parts car for 11k.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online