bad computer?

1slow50

Reaction score
could a bad computer cause a 998 code? im still getting codes of 998 + 157. i replaced maf, and checked wires from ecu plug to maf and they are good. i also replaced plugs, wires, cap rotor, control module, egr, air temp sensor, cat delete, fuel pump, filter, dizzy, fpr, and still running like shit i am totally stumpped :shrug: :mad: :BangHead: :cry:

toyman

Reaction score
998 is a hard fault code and usually means there is a circuit failure within the ECU. Have you cleared the codes only to have these two re-appear?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I see you have checked all the hardware/big stuff - have you started as simple as checking your grounds? It could be the ECU but the only way to find out is to swap it out and see if it works then. Only problem is that if there is something stupid like a ground that's bad it might take the 2nd ecu out. Just for shits and giggles track the ground and make sure it is tight/clean. I would really disconnect it, clean the area and then reconnect it. Also take a good look at all the connections in the hrns sometimes they can get pushed out.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
yea I have cleared the codes too have them reappear. I did have a bad ground but replaced that 1. I looked too see if I can find some other 1s but haven't seen any like coming from the back of the head. can I see them from up top or do I need to get under the car n look for them?. I fixed the 1 from block to cassis, it was broke and where it hooked to the frame it was rusted out so I drilled a new hole. that fixed my whacked out gauges

toyman

Reaction score
The thing about grounds is you can create as many as you want at various locations. So long as the battery to engine and engine to chassis are good the other chassis grounds, if not corroded, should be good as well.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
any body in the Glen Burnie Maryland area???????? that has a computer I can use to see if it is it??? sure would appreciated, u don't know what I been thro wit this car

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online