Bad gas mileage...90mmMAF

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
Ive been getting about 13 or 14 mpg highway and dont know why. The only code its throwing is IMRC stuck closed. I was told that the 90mm MAF may be the problem, bc I dont think that the car has a tune. Could I be running too rich bc of the larger MAF?

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
thats what sucks...I really have no idea what its calibrated for...but looks like I have bigger problems. My motor is ticking/nocking. Not really sure what exactly is wrong with it yet, but def not driving it :(

timpryor

Reaction score
Why do you have a 90mm MAF? are you blown? if not you really don't need the 90mm

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
timpryor said:
Why do you have a 90mm MAF? are you blown? if not you really don't need the 90mm

I have a 90mm LMAF and it works great n/a as well as blown. The nice things about the LMAF is it's cheap, extremely accurate and reliable, but I think most cars need a tune to use it.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you need a tune to run a 90lmaf, it is set up to run bigger injectors so you are dumping lots of fuel.

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
Why do you have a LMAF on the car? You said its not blown. If you are not pegging the stocker, you don't need a bigger one. Don't even have it tuned for it, its a waste of money because you can put a stocker in there and everything will go back to normal. And simply putting bigger injectors on is only going to make things worse. MAFs are not calibrated for anything injectors. The computer is tuned for the maf's voltage output and the injectors duty cycle. That is maybe how it worked in the Fox cars, but not in the SN95 cars.

NERD

Reaction score
Yeah, running a 90MAF with out having it tuned is like running WOT and cutting fuel. might not be some dramatic as that but certainly not good.

mellor_21

Reaction score
yup thats a lot of air bud lol prolly more than your injectors can handle.. which means your prolly burnin lean.. which is very very bad.. which is prolly where your knock is comin from.. i hope you can work it out without bustin into your engine

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys! Funny story...the motor went about a month ago :( definitely going back with a stock MAF for now :icon_rr:

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
haha yeah I was...damn the luck huh. I guess I'll be keeping it now that I sunk $3000 into a new stock rebuilt motor. Plus whatever the labor is to r and r it. First thing I'm doing is putting a stock maf back on it and getting it tuned

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
ok, so...i changed my mind. My car is at Gearheads in Arlington, TX now. Im getting my stock motor rebuilt with a forged ModMax rotating assembly!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
unless you have forced induction, the stock maf should be used.
it's callibrated, and Maf's are touchy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online