Bad gas?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
In the past few days my car has been running shitty and it has popped up saying random misfires...Its only been a day or two..but I thought it could just be bad gas..when its cold it will like bog down kinda at lower rpms and wont go anywhere..but after its hot its fine...anyone else have this problem?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
how many miles you have on your motor? i had kinda the same problem, it wasnt gas. it was more like head gaskets going out and other things from the old motor just going out cuz of age.... i doubt gas would do that much. i mean unless your just putting shit gas in it. if it needs 93 and your puttin regular then theres a problem

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
its got 92k....I dont think its a head gasket.....I dont have a clue what it is..cause if it was bad plug/ injectors it would be all throughout the rpm range..maybe its a vacuum leak ..i dunno

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
could be an injector/spark plug, very common, def change them, change oil everything lol
is your check engine light on?
o2 sensors maybe?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the check engine light came on and said random misfires....umm o2 sensors could be bad but i dont think that would cause this would it?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
when is the last time you looked at your spark plugs, and how old or your wires?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
egr,dpfe,ect,or O2's ......all could be out of their range,and not trip a code

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well i get code p0136 which is 02 sensor malfunction ...umm the spark plugs and wires have been changed ..but im not sure how long ago...

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
is that when they read the codes..or will they actually be able to figure out the problem?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
It will pull the codes.....but it won't tell you the exact issue with their obdII scanner. If you pulled a O2 code,it may be lean/rich right or left bank,but that doesn't mean the O2 is bad,it's more of a starting point. If you haven't changed them in a few years,then it would be a good idea to swap them out any way.....but if the ect,dpfe,Maf,or egr.....it will trip the same code.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
It will pull the codes.....but it won't tell you the exact issue with their obdII scanner. If you pulled a O2 code,it may be lean/rich right or left bank,but that doesn't mean the O2 is bad,it's more of a starting point. If you haven't changed them in a few years,then it would be a good idea to swap them out any way.....but if the ect,dpfe,Maf,or egr.....it will trip the same code.

then how do you figure out what exactly is wrong with your car?
isnt there a diagnostics machine you can hook your car up to that reads everything thats wrong with it? an actual machine not a hand held

94twinscrew

Reaction score
The dealership has the best diag service.....and most cheap hand helds only show what's stored in the KAM,running memory,and key on failures. A true diag is done with scanners,scopes,and multi meters. Just going to a parts store to get scanned isn't going to point you to the fault.....especially when most of those guys don't even know what they're doing. It helps to narrow it down,but don't get flustered if you replace the first part that the scanner points to,and it still does it. Do your self a favor,and buy a chiltons or Hayne's manual too,that way you will be able to learn about self diag,and proper values of sensors....it will save you a ton of cash later on.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
The dealership has the best diag service.....and most cheap hand helds only show what's stored in the KAM,running memory,and key on failures. A true diag is done with scanners,scopes,and multi meters. Just going to a parts store to get scanned isn't going to point you to the fault.....especially when most of those guys don't even know what they're doing. It helps to narrow it down,but don't get flustered if you replace the first part that the scanner points to,and it still does it. Do your self a favor,and buy a chiltons or Hayne's manual too,that way you will be able to learn about self diag,and proper values of sensors....it will save you a ton of cash later on.

yeah but i bet ford make me pay BIG money to get it on their diagnostic machine. my friend told me one of his friends' dads has one, ima get on it

White 96GT

Reaction score
I had this problem right after I put some E85 gas in my car. I didn't now it It was out of a can in the garage. ITs suppose to have 91 in it but my dad isn't the smartest sometimes. Anyway Mine was fixed after I ran some seafoam though the gas and changed the oil 350 miles later. My C.E.L. never came on though it just popped once or twice on the way to school everyday for about a week.

It always popped before It got warmed up though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online