Bad intake leak after removing trans

kvoriley

Reaction score
Throwout bearing went out in my car, so I replaced it along with my clutch fork and pivot ball stud. Installed trans. And car now runs like shit and will BARELY idle.
I sprayed carb clean towards the back of the intake manifold (intake mani is only two weeks old) and the idle seemed to jump sky high then would drop. I'm wondering if when removing the trans the engine tilted and punctured the back of the intake manifold causing a leak maybe? Has anyone ever experienced this issue? There aren't any vaccuum lines behind the intake manifold that I could have punctured are there? I checked the vacuum lines to the dpfe and egr and they all seemed fine.

97 Mustang pi engine
Comp 270s

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Chances are the engine tilted back and broke 1 or more of the vacuum lines along the firewall.
Try this, turn on your a/c. does it blow out of the vents and floor or only the defroster?
If it's only on defrost then it's the vacuum line on the firewall.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
Chances are the engine tilted back and broke 1 or more of the vacuum lines along the firewall.
Try this, turn on your a/c. does it blow out of the vents and floor or only the defroster?

Okay I will give that a try, I hope its something as simple as that, I couldn't see how the engine would tilt back enough to puncture or crack the intake manifold.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score

BTW CC's how do you get a cool signature like that? lol Photoshop?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a someone PS it for me.
He was on here for a while then sold the sn and got a fox. So he dont come around anymore.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
We'll you were right the ac only blows through the defroster. When I spray directly behind the intake manifold it jumps in idle. But other than the intake manifold I don't see any vacuum lines behind there. It just through a code for the IAC flow insufficient. But could that just be because of the vacuum leak?

edit: starting to think it is the egr tube. When I spray on the bottom of it, it idles high. Yay.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure on the mod motors but my 5.0 has a small vacuum line starting at the driver side wheel well at the base of the windshield and running along the firewall and goes inside the car right in front of the passenger. It travels along with some other wires and tubing and can be hard to follow.
I used a piece of heat shrink tubing to splice it back together.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
Not sure on the mod motors but my 5.0 has a small vacuum line starting at the driver side wheel well at the base of the windshield and running along the firewall and goes inside the car right in front of the passenger. It travels along with some other wires and tubing and can be hard to follow.
I used a piece of heat shrink tubing to splice it back together.

Welp, found out what it was. Installed one of the long bellhousing bolts right through the back of the intake manifold. By far one of the dumbest and costliest mistakes I've ever done . There goes another 200 bucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online