Bad Trans?

A_+

Reaction score
Im new to the whole T5 scene and the sn95 scene as well. I always built my foxbody mustangs to have a built c4 or built aod so im sure i screwed up this t5 because i cant drive a stick for shit. Im getting a rattling/knocking noise coming from the trans (i think) when im at about 40mph. I believe its from my lack of down shifting. What do you think would cause this?

RichV

Reaction score
Exhaust or driveshaft noise? If something was broke inside, I don't think you could drive it.

Is is it a specific gear? Or MPH?

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lol well at least you're honest about your driving ability, unlike many many others...

As for your issue I'm with Rich here, a knocking or rattling inside the trans would most likely deem it undriveable. We need a few more details before any insight can be offered bud. But I'd start by checking driveshaft bolts to make sure the driveshaft is tight. Sounds bizarre but I forgot to loctite my ds bolts and had a rattling real bad on my car at one point. Thought it was the trans, jacked up the car only to find it was a loose ds. Start simple

But I have to ask, what do you mean by lack of downshifting? Do you mean dropping gears too fast?

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
It feels like the problem starts at around 40mph and a while back, my DS was loose but i tightened it up then. The car doesn't rattle when when I coast or put it in neutral, only when I accelerate. It doesn't do it when I rev it either. I don't down shift when I slow down on the highway. Ex. I'm in 5th gear and traffic begins to slow down, I keep it in 5th till traffic picks back up, I'll do like 40mph while still in 5th. I don't do it all the time, just most of the time.....

RichV

Reaction score
You can't damage a tranny by not shifting. I bet something is just rattling or moving around at that speed/vibration.

Damage comes from power shifting, running wrong or low on oil/fluid, or just miles.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I always felt that it was the DS but the last time I went under there, everything was secure and all joints looked to be in good shape. Hopefully I can get it on my buddy's lift tomorrow. Idk what the heck I'm gonna be looking for but I'll stare at it for a while.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can you feel the vibration in the shifter handle while driving or is more of something you can hear?
Does the sound speed up as speed increases?
It could just be the exhaust banging on something.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I can feel it in the shifter and it speeds up with acceleration, it also gets louder. Recently I realized that I've been needing to press the clutch all the way down to start the car. Idk if that has anything to do with my problems but thought I would mention it. Maybe I should just adjust it or something.

Mustanger

Reaction score
No that is normal to have to press the clutch to the floor to start it. There is a switch on the clutch that prevents you from starting the car in gear as a safety precaution. It is nice to have.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
No that is normal to have to press the clutch to the floor to start it. There is a switch on the clutch that prevents you from starting the car in gear as a safety precaution. It is nice to have.

meh, i just felt like ive had to press it down further, the past few days.

97NYstanGT

Reaction score
Do you want a cobra t-45 from my 97GT? I'll let it go for $200 if you come and take it off, and I'll obviously help up out

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I ended up bending the H pipe out of the way. It was making contact with the car at the trans. tunnel. That got rid of the vibration sound but I still have that damn clunking sound. Buddy of mine thinks I might need to replace some bushing on my trans mount. It sounds like something is loose and it still only happens under acceleration. It sounds fine at idle and when I rev it, even when I jacked up the rear and put it in gear. So I guess it only happens under load. I think it needs to go on a lift because if it's the driveshaft, it feels just fine when I jack it up from the back or front. I hate everything :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JKady

Reaction score
Have you tried downshifting and seeing if it doesn't do it? I don't know what rear gear you have but I know in my car with 3.08's 40mph in 5th is lugging the hell out of the engine (like sub 1500rpm) and yeah, it's gonna shake stuff. Lugging the car like that is also hell on the dampner springs in the clutch and will eventually cause it to fail.

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
If your new to the t5 make sure when your driving that your not just resting your foot on the clutch, it'll wear down the throw out bearing

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I'm really starting to think that something is lose. When I press the gas, the sound I here is more of a wobble than anything. It sounds like my wheel is gonna fall off. It doesn't do it when I'm coasting only when I press the gas. Either way, I had to put her down. The sound got louder and I didn't want to get left stranded in the cold.

1bad95

Reaction score
If possible maybe try and record what it going on

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online