Bags irs drag car? No bueno??

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Alright this may not be for everyone and I know it'll be an arm and leg for cash but I want down the road goal of doing some corner carving some passes down the quarter but I'm thinking of things I don't have cash for right now but irs and bags? But there's a slight twist 5.4 4 valve from a navigator I know front will be ridiculously heavy it's a thought but I kinda like the idea of being laid out then go racecar then go home and raise it up to avoid shitt lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, just asking, if you want to do corner-carving and drag, why not double adjustable coilovers? Do you want to slam the car as well?

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
So, just asking, if you want to do corner-carving and drag, why not double adjustable coilovers? Do you want to slam the car as well?
I've thought about it actually and yeah the slammed part kinds plays a part in this lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Then I guess bags is probably the way to go - just understand that each time you change the height of the ride, you really should get an alignment. Changing ride height alters your camber and toe. It sounds to me like you are trying to find a suspension that lets you do everything. Nothing wrong with that, it will just require more effort on your part - meaning, if you want to do an autocross, you probably won't do it slammed, as you will want some "suspension" travel. So if you are daily-ing it slammed, you will need to raise it up a bit and get an alignment. If you have a different right height for drag, you will want an alignment. In addition to this, the alignments for corner-carvers and for drag cars and sort of opposites of each other. Corners like slight toe out. Drags, I suspect, like a touch toe in. You will get adjustability, but unless you are willing to spend time making adjustments each time, your car will never really be "great" at any of them. You can run a 0 toe for example, but it won't be ideal for the corners, and won't be ideal for strip. If you are okay with these compromises, then all is good. Your setup will not be a set-it-and-forget-it setup.

Not criticizing, I don't blame you for wanting something that lets do you all 3 things (drag, track and street). Just know that it's hard enough to get something good for drag/street, and good for track/street, it will be quite difficult to get something good at drag/track/street without changing a bunch of things each time. Tires are another example. Track tires and drag tires are quite different and accomplish different things. Drag tires suck on corners, and vice-versa.

Just FYI, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have only seen one IRS car bagged in person it was terrible, only because they riced out a termi.....and thier was another guy on SVTP who did it his looked awesome....

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Then I guess bags is probably the way to go - just understand that each time you change the height of the ride, you really should get an alignment. Changing ride height alters your camber and toe. It sounds to me like you are trying to find a suspension that lets you do everything. Nothing wrong with that, it will just require more effort on your part - meaning, if you want to do an autocross, you probably won't do it slammed, as you will want some "suspension" travel. So if you are daily-ing it slammed, you will need to raise it up a bit and get an alignment. If you have a different right height for drag, you will want an alignment. In addition to this, the alignments for corner-carvers and for drag cars and sort of opposites of each other. Corners like slight toe out. Drags, I suspect, like a touch toe in. You will get adjustability, but unless you are willing to spend time making adjustments each time, your car will never really be "great" at any of them. You can run a 0 toe for example, but it won't be ideal for the corners, and won't be ideal for strip. If you are okay with these compromises, then all is good. Your setup will not be a set-it-and-forget-it setup.

Not criticizing, I don't blame you for wanting something that lets do you all 3 things (drag, track and street). Just know that it's hard enough to get something good for drag/street, and good for track/street, it will be quite difficult to get something good at drag/track/street without changing a bunch of things each time. Tires are another example. Track tires and drag tires are quite different and accomplish different things. Drag tires suck on corners, and vice-versa.

Just FYI, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything.
I completely forgot about that to be honest right now I'm set up for mostly drag but I thought it would be a cool idea to make a well rounded car and I definitely agree on tires no way is a mickey going around carving lol may go with the first comment and just wait and build a new edge or such but I don't want 9 second passes then the fastest lap times or a 1,000 horse just a nice daily toy to goto the test n tune nights then go around the road course a lap or two

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I completely forgot about that to be honest right now I'm set up for mostly drag but I thought it would be a cool idea to make a well rounded car and I definitely agree on tires no way is a mickey going around carving lol may go with the first comment and just wait and build a new edge or such but I don't want 9 second passes then the fastest lap times or a 1,000 horse just a nice daily toy to goto the test n tune nights then go around the road course a lap or two

Then bag away ;) Keep in mind, though, the stuff I highlighted above can be accomplished with a good set of dampers and springs as well as coilovers as well bags. Don't feel like bags are the only way to go. If you really aren't going to be changing ride height all that much, you can save a lot of money by going with a "traditional" suspension. For a daily with some spirited driving, any of the suspension options will suit you just fine.

Either way you decide to go, good luck :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with the auto-leveling system I have with ridetech I had it aligned for my driving height which it goes to automatically when I start it. I thought that IRS somehow interfered with a traditional bag system, isn't that why reo has been waiting for an integrated shock/strut/bag system?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
shockwaves up front for extreme handling...although a simple bag and quality adjustable shocks along with an alignment dialed in for your ride height is just as good imo. i know i could run about 60psi up front (which set an sn95 pretty fn low) and it rode on rails lol. zero body roll. not sure if that's ideal for auto x or not but it took corners like a beast!

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I forgot about this Mann.. but sweet thanks guys I figured I'm scrappin the irs idea and bags maybe happening next year or so want to plan out where I'd lay everything cleanly tank, compressor etc etc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online