Bargain Rock Auto Cobra Brake kit, is this possible?

kenny150r

Reaction score
Late Model Restoration has a knock-off Cobra Brake Kit for $560.00. However, all the Cobra brake components needed are available new on Rock Auto for about $300. Would it be possible to piece together a kit from Rock Auto? Also, would this kit be the same quality as LMR's? The brand name on the Rock Auto parts is Centric, a brand also available on LMR's website.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
Here's an excel sheet with the prices:

FTH6hYs.png

lutter94

Reaction score
Shipping will be a big chunk, since everything will prob ship from different locations. But you need to factor in the discount too. I wanted the powerstop rotors/pads. I probably could have saved a ton with a cheaper option. Whats the part number for the calipers? Some don't include the bracket. You should also get the master cylinder and the Maximum Motorsports master hard lines. Otherwise you'll have a super firm pedal. I just swapped em a week and a half ago. MM-MMBAK7 (hard lines at Master) is $28.19 from LMR, after discount. And I bought the Russel stainless line kit $141.97 @ Summit Racing.

K1303PowerStop Z23 Rear GT Pads/RotorsRockAuto $ 110.79
K1304PowerStop Z23 Front Cobra Pads/RotorsRockAuto $ 154.79
FRC10604Raybestos Front Left Cobra Caliper w/ BracketRockAuto $ 54.79
FRC10603Raybestos Front Right Cobra Caliper w/ BracketRockAuto $ 73.79
13061063Centric Cobra Master CylinderRockAuto $ 56.79
RockAuto Discount $ (21.55)
Shipping $ 65.01
RockAuto Total $ 494.41

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
Oh wow, thats a great deal still wish shipping and everything, as the kit from LMR with the slotted/drilled Stop Tech rotors is $700!

I was going to use this caliper:
http://www.carid.com/centric/front-...1-61071.html?gclid=CP7K9p7xtMQCFYqDfgodKAoA1Q
...but I guess I'm going to have to pay the core charge, since my old one isnt the same caliper.

These calipers/rotors might work and be cheaper as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Callahan-Cali...&qid=1426784290&sr=1-5&keywords=cobra+caliper

I'll have to get to work and see what I can find!

So a master cylinder upgrade is needed, you say?

EDIT: Apparently master cylinder upgrades are only needed for 94-95

lutter94

Reaction score
my core charges were 10 bucks each (caliper prices I listed include the core), figured it wasn't worth the return shipping. Do you need/want the Cobra text? Or is plain fine?

Idk about the cobra master cylinder being 94/95 specific. If you don't have a smaller master cylinder, your pedal will be firmer. You want to displace less oil, because the single piston is actually bigger than the 2 put together. I know its backwards from what you would think, brake upgrade should involve bigger caliper pistons, which would require a bigger master, but thats not how this works, lol. The +2" rotor size is where your brake performance comes to play.

RichV

Reaction score
And don't forget the rear brakes for proper balance.

The RockAuto stuff is solid, but they get you in shipping.

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
my core charges were 10 bucks each (caliper prices I listed include the core), figured it wasn't worth the return shipping. Do you need/want the Cobra text? Or is plain fine?

Idk about the cobra master cylinder being 94/95 specific. If you don't have a smaller master cylinder, your pedal will be firmer. You want to displace less oil, because the single piston is actually bigger than the 2 put together. I know its backwards from what you would think, brake upgrade should involve bigger caliper pistons, which would require a bigger master, but thats not how this works, lol. The +2" rotor size is where your brake performance comes to play.

Hmm I would like the cobra letters but if it ends up being much more expensive then I don't think its worth it.

You only had $10 core charges? Every one I see on RockAuto has around $60 core charge :(

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
ALSO, are there any differences between cobra brakes between the years 96-04? Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you guys all so much.

lutter94

Reaction score
Hmm I would like the cobra letters but if it ends up being much more expensive then I don't think its worth it.

You only had $10 core charges? Every one I see on RockAuto has around $60 core charge :(

Look under 1994, they have loaded calipers - centric - $10 cores, no logo

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
96-98 GT Mastercylinder works perfectly with the Cobra brakes. I've been running it for years.

Mike

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Here's an excel sheet with the prices:

FTH6hYs.png
That deff is cheap, I wouldnt trust, its prob used parts, no way thats new stuff, you cant compare it to the "REAL" cobra brake kits, I bought the cobra brake kit new from ford racing back in 2007 when they still made them, and they came with Brembo Rotors, cobra pbr calipers, stainless steel brake lines, pads everything that spread sheets prices are so cheap you know the brake lines are not stainless steel like the ones kits come with, and no name shity pads and rotors. the 50resto(latermodelresto) "sve" brake it is pretty much same as the cobra kit I bought back 2007 just they say " sve" on the caliper instead of "COBRA" and you have the option of " stock "calipers's for $550, or $650 with the " "slotted" rotors (which are power slot) rotors or ebc Im sure. I run the cobra brake kit, with upgraded slotted brembo rotors in the front with hawk pads, which were all new. those prices are used. im sure I would never run REMANF or used parts when it comes to brake kits. the old saying "YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET" spend the extra money, get all new parts, not rebuilt or remanf calipers. and better name brand rotors and pads. and stain less steel brake lines etc .

Caboose302

Reaction score
Rock auto usually has refurbished stuff as they're real cheap stuff BUT it will say if it's refurbished or not. I've never ever had an issue with Rock Auto or their parts. They're just THAT much cheaper than everywhere else. And I don't know if I'd consider SVE much of a step up from stock Cobra brakes...

lutter94

Reaction score
RockAuto has been great. I read some reviews of a guy buying reman calipers off amazon, and the finish ended up being different left to right. The ones I received were identical in every way (finish wise ;) )

They are as real cobra brakes as they get. Just remans, what makes them any less capable than the ones you purchased from Ford Racing? They are 100% identical.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Centric makes decent rotors, as for pads id venture to say you get what you pay for with those. You can have the best calipers in the world but if you have shitty pads than no dice. Go with a better pad..

Keep in mind I once bought a used set of a wrecked cobra for $350..
cam with baer 2 piece rotors, ss lines and hawk hps pads... The rotors alone are worth $500..

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to score NOS 38mm Cobra calipers. I got the pass side with bracket for $120 and drivers side $79 no bracket. Thank god Rock Auto has the brackets for cheap lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online