Battery drain 97 vert

MustangMedic

Reaction score
Fellas,
I have a right hand drive 97 convertible that suffers a flat battery when left for more than 24 hrs, pulled all the fuses and still have a 4.95 volt drain. I'm suspicious it may be the convertible roof motor, has anybody else encountered this issue(discounted the radio and amp when fuses pulled) I run a speedster top and therefore the roof is always down, I think this started when I fitted the speedster top. Any ideas.
Cheers,
Medic

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
possible causes: vanity mirrors, hood light, trunk light.

BTW welcome to the madness

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well duh you probably need to change it back to a left hand drive to fix it......

Sorry could not resist. If you really pulled all the stereo fuses for it and it still died then we need to narrow it down further. You will need to hook up an amp-meter to the battery first and then pull the fuses one at a time to watch when the current drops. Take your multi-meter and set it to current/I/mA and you will probably need to swap the red wire into the spot marked current/I/mA. An amp meter needs to be part of the circuit meaning we need the current to go though it. This means you will need to disconnect the battery and touch the black wire on the meter to the battery and the red to the power wire unlike when testing for voltage where you just measure across the battery. It doesn't matter which way the red/black wires go if it is backwards it will show -4 Amps instead of 4 amps but its the same thing just ignore the - sign. Once it is hooked up now start pulling fuses one at a time and you will see the current drop to nearly 0 when you get the fuse that has the problem. Once we have that fuse we can narrow down what is all hooked up to it.

OP
OP
M

MustangMedic

Reaction score
That's cause Aussie Pony's are right hand drive (Factory converted on arrival in Australia) ...back on track...Have pulled all fuses and still get a 4.95 volt discharge when using the multimeter across the cable and terminal. It has got me buggered or have I missed a fuse somewhere...mate suggested the vert top motor could be drawing power (when the top is down), but I pulled all of the fuses under the dash and I still get a drop. I have also pulled all of the fuses in the engine bay as well.
Cheers,
Medic

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
try disconnecting the alternator then ck the voltage drop. I've the diode pack go bad internally and kill the battery

OP
OP
M

MustangMedic

Reaction score
I have measured the -ve cable and the -ve terminal by disconnecting the cable and bridging it using the Multimeter to determine the draw....is this the wrong way to tackle the issue??
Cheers,
Medic

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes that is not the right way to do it. Look too see if your meter has a current measuring ability normally marked with an "I/Amp/mA". If it does switch to that mode and you will probably need to swap the red lead on the meter to the terminal that has the "I/Amp/Ma" next to it and then do what you are doing with the battery disconnected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online