Battery light and CEL on constantly.. Need help

Jevonn Madaus

Reaction score
I have a 94 cobra and it has been parked for almost 2 months
I recently went to try and start it and as soon as I turn the key to the on position I get a battery light and check engine light. They both stay on constantly.
When trying to start the engine the volts drop from 12.6 to 8 and then dies. I've tested my battery in another vehicle so I know the battery is fine and I also had it tested and it was good.
I'm able to get it started by feathering the gas and the battery light will go away but still have the check engine light. It also runs pretty rough and rich. As soon as I stop feathering the gas it dies.

I tried pulling codes with the jumper trick and failed because the check engine light stays on constantly. So I went and bought the Ford obd1 code reader and it wouldn't pull any codes.

The alternator is brand new and when the engine is running it charges the battery fine so I'm not sure that is the issue.
I've check EVERY ground connection and the alternator to battery connection. Checked all my fuses. I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is.

Anyone else have a similar issue??

Also it is procharged with a tune.
While it was stored the battery was pulled
And it ran fine before it was stored.

Should mention I did replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket one and get a airbag light too but I don't think that would cause these issues..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like either a bad battery or your running some really high compression to pull it down to 8v. Just for shits and giggles hook up some jumper cables and see what happens.

OP
OP
Jevonn Madaus

Jevonn Madaus

Reaction score
sounds like either a bad battery or your running some really high compression to pull it down to 8v. Just for shits and giggles hook up some jumper cables and see what happens.
Yeah I've already tried jumper cables. Also the battery tested good. And I tested it in another vehicle. It ran completely fine up until recently

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how did you test it? I ask because I have personally taken my battery up to the auto parts store thinking it was bad and they said they needed to put it on the charger and then test it to find out. I came back an hour later and they said it charged up and tested as good but a few hours later I found it was losing voltage even though it was not hooked up to anything.

It could be the starter is starting to go bad and drawing too much current. Or it could be an accessory that is starting to seize up and dragging it down as well.

OP
OP
Jevonn Madaus

Jevonn Madaus

Reaction score
how did you test it? I ask because I have personally taken my battery up to the auto parts store thinking it was bad and they said they needed to put it on the charger and then test it to find out. I came back an hour later and they said it charged up and tested as good but a few hours later I found it was losing voltage even though it was not hooked up to anything.

It could be the starter is starting to go bad and drawing too much current. Or it could be an accessory that is starting to seize up and dragging it down as well.
I took it to an autozone and had it tested. I also swapped batteries with my other car. Other car ran fine and my mustang had the same issue. I've ruled out a battery/alternator issue. I used a Fluke 77 IV to do my tests. Starter is brand new with maybe 500 miles on it.. same with the alternator. Ill check the accessories though

OP
OP
Jevonn Madaus

Jevonn Madaus

Reaction score

Also the battery reads about 12.6v and the alternator is 14.4v when running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online