Battery light

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
So the battery light has been on since I got the cobra . The guy said voltage regulator, but had that, alternator, and battery tested all are good . Any ideas fellas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
to test the battery you need to take it out of the car, charge it and then let it sit for a few hours before testing it. I have seen batteries come off the charger that tested good but then 3 hrs later with nothing hooked up they start dropping voltage. Also start simple and remove all the battery/ground connections, clean the area(sandpaper works great) then and then retighten. Make sure they are tight enough that you can't wiggle them at all.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Intermittent no charge from the alternator is really common with these. My f250, 5.4L did the same thing. I took the alternator off and had it tested. It showed good. Then tore it down and found one of the brushes wore a groove in the rotor and caused intermittent issues.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Intermittent no charge from the alternator is really common with these. My f250, 5.4L did the same thing. I took the alternator off and had it tested. It showed good. Then tore it down and found one of the brushes wore a groove in the rotor and caused intermittent issues.
I'm pretty sure it's the stock alternator so that might be an issue.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
to test the battery you need to take it out of the car, charge it and then let it sit for a few hours before testing it. I have seen batteries come off the charger that tested good but then 3 hrs later with nothing hooked up they start dropping voltage. Also start simple and remove all the battery/ground connections, clean the area(sandpaper works great) then and then retighten. Make sure they are tight enough that you can't wiggle them at all.
I'll try it out today

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Oh yeah the guy put led lights in the cluster and said the light came on afterwards?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Can the alternator failing cause misfires ? All ignition is new.

sent from somewhere,while in my cobra.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if it isn't supplying enough voltage then yes but otherwise its not really attached to the ignition system short of supplying it power.

I missed the comment previously about leds but I have no idea what that is about anyways...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online