Battery selection...

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this thread doesn’t open a can of worms like, “what’s the best oil?” always does. And yes, I could have done a Search, but things change and what was The Best Battery a few years ago may not be any longer. First it was the good old Sears Die Hard (I always had good luck with them), then Optima was the best(been there, did that; wasn’t overly impressed). Now???

Do I stick with the 58’s as prescribed for the car, or are more CCA’s better? Any risk to going over the recommended amounts? Or is maximizing best?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
optima was the best for a while, but that was a while ago. While the quality dropped it didn't drop to the point to make them a bad battery but they never lowered their price either so I think there are better values. They are good about standing behind their product to replace them when they do go bad but honestly most battery companies will. Someone will probably chime in and say go AGM but you need to get one that has a case to protect it from heat as AGM batteries do not like under hood temps. More CCA's is better, I went with Odyssey AGM myself but they are in the trunk so temps are not an issue for me.

joemomma

Reaction score
Crazy as it may sound, I've had excellent luck with Motorcraft batteries. When either the truck or car need a replacement, I'll likely get an Interstate.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy as it may sound, I've had excellent luck with Motorcraft batteries. When either the truck or car need a replacement, I'll likely get an Interstate.
Motorcraft? Interstate? Are they manufactured by same? Or did I miss the segue?

papac0rn

Reaction score
I put in a Napa Legend in my car. They are made by Deka. I've used Deka batteries in the past and they seem to hold up well. I would avoid the Johnson Control or Exide. For me those batteries last right up to the warranty.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo. I have an Exide in mine. Not even 2 years old and corrosion on one post.

joemomma

Reaction score
Motorcraft? Interstate? Are they manufactured by same? Or did I miss the segue?

LOL, I see what I did there. Sorry, I should make that more clear. I have had excellent luck with factory Ford batteries in the past. A family friend runs an independent auto parts store, and is an Interstate dealer. If I did not go back with a Motorcraft, I would get an Interstate. I've had good luck with their replacements.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'll likely go with a Motorcraft in the Mustang next, but in my Acura, I installed a Champion AGM from Pep Boys. It's the same as the more expensive Die Hard. I installed an AGM Interstate in our Cherokee, but it it's already showing low charge after about 18 months. Back to Costco I go for a replacement. Not sure what will go in the truck before winter. I'll need to do some homework.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'll likely go with a Motorcraft in the Mustang next, but in my Acura, I installed a Champion AGM from Pep Boys. It's the same as the more expensive Die Hard. I installed an AGM Interstate in our Cherokee, but it it's already showing low charge after about 18 months. Back to Costco I go for a replacement. Not sure what will go in the truck before winter. I'll need to do some homework.
Again most agm batteries do not like the heat that can be found under the hood. Cars that use them often have them in the trunk or will have a small piece of heat shield around them to protect them. AGM's also benefit from a slightly different charging sequence than the stock system give. Its a good idea if you can to slap an AGM charger on them as often as you can to ensure they last as long as they can.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are Costco batteries good?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are Costco batteries good?
I did a search on google for who makes them and Johnson controls makes them. That is the same company that makes optima. Obviously this is a more entry level line so I would not expect optima quality or service necessarily.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Both the Jeep and the TLX have their batteries under the hood, and both (the V6 Acura, mine's an I4) specify AGM batteries. The AGM batteries are called out mainly because of the auto stop-start "feature" in each. The Jeep has an OEM cover/blanket, the Acura has none.

I agree that an AGM battery is not necessary in vehicles not calling for them, but there are several advantages. This article does a good job of describing the differences, advantages, and disadvantages.

Daryl: Costco's "standard" Interstate Batteries are Interstates lowest-priced line. Still a decent battery, but not up to the standards of their white-case versions. The AGM's are the same.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh, good to know. I’ll pass on them then

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my Exide tested good. Very good actually, with more CCA’s than advertised on the top of the battery! Didn’t know that was even possible! So it’s likely NOT the battery.
So, maybe the starter? I have a new alternator in there so I tend to think/believe the starter is OE.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how did you test it? Did you take it out of the car and put it on a charger and then test it a couple hours after its off the charger? I have seen batteries that once off of the charger if the test is done right away that they test as good but if you leave the battery connected to nothing it will slowly lose it charge because its bad. Most places test it right off the charger.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went to NAPA and the guy there brought out the thingamabobber and tested it. It displayed the numbers.

joe65

Reaction score
ive had really good luck with I know i know, Oreily batteries. I have a couple that ive used as extra batteries and i've killed them multiple times recharged and they still work great. i'm talking about wet batteries, not the agm. i've had terrible luck with the Autocraft from Autozone.

from what i've read and seen, its pretty hard to go wrong with Interstate batteries.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Well, my Exide tested good. Very good actually, with more CCA’s than advertised on the top of the battery! Didn’t know that was even possible! So it’s likely NOT the battery.
So, maybe the starter? I have a new alternator in there so I tend to think/believe the starter is OE.
Did you ever say what your symptoms were?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I hadn’t, I apologize. If I did, I’m happy to reiterate:
When I start the car up (doesn’t matter cold start or if I’ve been running it around town), it seems to struggle to turn over. Hard to describe in words, but I get a 3-stage “moan” then it
fires up. Kind of a “wuh-wuh-wuh..... bam”, turns over. But it’s such a low, pathetic struggle of a moan that drew my concern. So, the obvious places to look initially are the battery and the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.