BBK Longtubes do NOT match BBK X pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
95 Cobra, stock longblock. BBK LT's installed (15190) and the "shorty" O/R X pipe for longtubes does not line up at the collector flange. The headers are installed correctly and the collector flanges are over an inch wider than the flanges on my X pipe. Thinking I perhaps received a damaged X pipe, I sent it in for a replacement. The new X pipe (send drop-ship directly from California) fits exactly the same - it is too narrow and will not line up to my collector flanges.

I've been searching google for hours and found a few posts in a few different forums of folks having an issue like this and they all said they had to heat the pipe with a oxy torch and bent it into place.

HAS ANYONE HERE DEALT WITH THIS CRAP??

I was able to dig up the tech line number for BBK and spoke with a guy who said this is unusual and that I should sent an email to their warranty department with pictures and a copy of my invoice so they could look into it.... perhaps they need to stick it on their jig to see what happened.

1st: I bought BBK because they have a good reputation for making exhaust components
2nd: I anticipated fitment issues hence why I bought matching headers/midpipe
3rd: Sending this back to California isn't going help anything because I'm guessing their jig is what the problem is
4th: I refuse to head, bent or tweak any of this crap because I'm spending the time and $ to do this right. I am trying to PREVENT dealing with leaks and such and heating/bending an overpriced pipe isn't going to help that end.

What would you do? The car is stock and there really isn't a way to misinstall a header. I have confirmed the compatibility of these part numbers.

boss302whr

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem, me and a buddy just heated up the bend by the flange that bolts to the headers and used a pry bar or something similar to bend the pipes outward while standing on the pipe. It didn't take much heat we just used a propane torch.

How did the rest of the install go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had that problem with my Mac LTs and it turns out they sent me a fox body X pipe. make sure they're sending the proper one for your year.

if they say you have the right one you may consider returning it and buying a VRS X pipe, mine fit perfectly.

cobra head

Reaction score
me and my buddy ran into same problem bbk lt and x pipe mine was ab a 1 1/2 off took a piece of wood put it on the jack and pushed the pipe to where we needed it

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You actually made a thread about this ? You couldn't come up with the idea that maybe I should bend it over to line up ... Things happen I shipping they bend etc , mine needed minor tweaking ..... The lack of brains some people have is astonishing ... You refuse to to bend or tweak because you want to do things right ..... Wow I'm so done with this place and morons like you .... When installing aftermarket parts that are produced in mass quantities shit happens .... As for tweaking it and not wanting leaks mine sealed no problem running the exact stuff your talking about ... You can either sit there and cry and say I'm not tweaking the x pipe to fit .... Or be a man and do some adjusting .....

Dude, really?? Instead of offering any advice or at least constructive criticism, you decided to go full :handz: and open you anus to let your thoughts shart all over this thread. If you're "so done with this place", why did you pitch a hissey fit last time you were banned? WTF Kyle?? It has become apparent that it's you that has the problem and perhaps you should move on.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I think BBK has been lacking for a while now. Even on her 11 the aft cat X was a PITA to get on. I had to heat it up and bend it to fit.

OP
OP
I

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem, me and a buddy just heated up the bend by the flange that bolts to the headers and used a pry bar or something similar to bend the pipes outward while standing on the pipe. It didn't take much heat we just used a propane torch.

How did the rest of the install go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rest of it was a piece of cake. I thought the passenger side was easier than the driver's side strangely because I just couldn't get a jack to position the driver's side header well enough to get the bolts started.

Onyx - I will have to look into whether or not they list a different number between SN95 and Fox. I hope it's a simple as that but in hindsight I think I may just go with a H. I'm worried about getting that marble noise combining a X with flow dumps.

You actually made a thread about this ? You couldn't come up with the idea that maybe I should bend it over to line up ... Things happen I shipping they bend etc , mine needed minor tweaking ..... The lack of brains some people have is astonishing ... You refuse to to bend or tweak because you want to do things right ..... Wow I'm so done with this place and morons like you .... When installing aftermarket parts that are produced in mass quantities shit happens .... As for tweaking it and not wanting leaks mine sealed no problem running the exact stuff your talking about ... You can either sit there and cry and say I'm not tweaking the x pipe to fit .... Or be a man and do some adjusting .....

I'm sorry your home life sucks and you chose to use internet forums as a release, Mr. expert car builder / internet tough guy.

If it were a height issue it wouldn't be such a big deal and it could perhaps be blamed on motor mounts.... but this is a width issue which can really only be explained by poor manufacturing. Turd apparently doesn't mind buying bolt-on stuff that isn't so bolt-on. I guess I'm fickle and just expect bolt-on pipes from the same manufacturer to....I don't know.....bolt on?

This is a little more than minor tweaking, Mr. expert. I'm capable of understanding that things can be damaged during shipping...which is why I didn't get concerned until I got the SECOND pipe which didn't line up. Plus, if I damage it while trying to mickey mouse around with it per your recommendation - it's on me and not only a waste of time but a waste of $ as well.

The facts here are that I bought a midpipe from the same manufacturer as the headers to SPECIFICALLY AVOID tweaking, bending, heating, strapping or spreading. Another fact is that despite your vast knowledge of manufacturing processes, it IS indeed possible to manufacture millions of units with MUCH less variability than this.

Thank you for offering zero help and getting more bent that this crappy X pipe. For the sake of everyone around you please go home and beg your wife for an old fashioned - you could use it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the issue here is expectations. I get where the OP is coming from, you pay good money for something, you expect it to work out of the box. The OP has the expectation that everything will line up, exacerbated by the fact that he tried specifically to order same brand products to eliminate the risk for misalignment. Just to receive something that doesn't align. It's frustrating, I think we can all see that.

Some folks are okay with the misalignment, say "meh", fix it, and move on. Others are really bothered by it. I guess OP, you need to determine if it's worth fighting about with BBK or not. How bad is the alignment? Can it be easily fixed? While fixing something new you just paid good money for is no fun, if $50 at a muffler shop resolves the problem...well I guess you need to determine how important that $50 is and pick your battle. Does it suck? Yes. Does shit happen? Yes. Me, personally, I would get really pissed, fix the damn thing, and say eff you BBK. And maybe I don't buy their stuff anymore. You, well, that's up to you. You can send the pipes back, get replacements, or get a whole new brand. There are more expensive brands out there that probably have better tolerances.

Either way, pick your path and go with it. People encounter all kinds of problems working on cars, it's one thing to vent about it (and believe me, I'm sure there's a lot of folks here that will share your misery with the venting), it's another to complain about it. It is what it is (unfortunately). The real question is: what do you plan to do about the issue?

CWO

Reaction score
Of course it sucks. Either send it back and get another one or fix it yourself. What other options are there? Go on a internet forum and ***** about it? I suppose you can do that, but obviously that would be in addition to either of the first two options anyway.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm with Cwo ,mine fit just about as poorly as yours .... Your whining like a little girl bend the pipe over and be done or just sit around and cry about it .... As for being a expert car builder I'm sure my skills are leaps over yours . I have the same headers and x pipe and it fits awesome now that I modified it you can see it tucked up in my sig ...

OP
OP
I

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
Jesus, people, my quesion was whether or not it is typical for this to happen on matching parts. How many of you bought matching parts that didn't freakin match? - that was the point of the thread

This isn't the first time I've dealt with this but I figured mismatched parts were to blame. I suppose I didn't realize that despite everything you hear about buying matching midpipes they STILL don't fit for shit.

What I plan to do is go with a two piece H pipe. From whoever can get it to me the fastest because my time is worth more than the effort to have BBK make it right.

And you can consider this thread a big whinefest if you want. For the next guy who reads all the hype about why you don't want to mismatch midpipes and finds this thread in a google search:

Buy whatever mipipe you want and be prepared to dick with it - these manufacturers know a bunch of knuckle busters are buying their crap so any idea of consistency in their manufacturing is gone with the wind. Why spend the time to make it right when people don't mind it when it's wrong?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=19208]iamtheshaner[/MENTION], I gotta say, I agree with CWO and Musturd on this one. While I won't say it quite so bluntly, I would personally bend that a bit and call it a day. It's an exhaust pipe. You aren't going to hurt it. A muffler shop will do the same exact thing, and more so, were you to have them do the install for you. I get what you are saying about it not lining up, but things just happen, the world isn't perfect and sometimes exhaust pipes just don't naturally line up. It's okay. I think you are perhaps being a little unreasonable about this. Don't argue the principle, you will just waste your time. Trust me. Just fix the pipe and move on. After some time goes by, it won't bother you anymore and you will be able to focus on other problems the Mustang throws your way.

Or send the pipe back and wash your hands of BBK.

OP
OP
I

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
I'm with Cwo ,mine fit just about as poorly as yours .... Your whining like a little girl bend the pipe over and be done or just sit around and cry about it .... As for being a expert car builder I'm sure my skills are leaps over yours . I have the same headers and x pipe and it fits awesome now that I modified it you can see it tucked up in my sig ...

Wow good job on the tuck...?

Keep talking like you know anything about me, jerkoff. You got mustang building skills leaps beyond mine, huh? I'm sure you are very proud.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Jesus, people, my quesion was whether or not it is typical for this to happen on matching parts. How many of you bought matching parts that didn't freakin match? - that was the point of the thread

To which they answered: "Yes, it can happen. Suck it up and fix it." Not necessarily in a nice way, but that's the gist of it.

Buy whatever mipipe you want and be prepared to dick with it - these manufacturers know a bunch of knuckle busters are buying their crap so any idea of consistency in their manufacturing is gone with the wind. Why spend the time to make it right when people don't mind it when it's wrong?

Of course people mind if it's wrong. Do you think BBK is sitting in their R&D office, saying "Well, gee, Frank, what do you think we can eff up now to piss off the car community, cause hey they don't care?" Come on man. BBK is a big company. They do lots of things. Sometimes those things don't go right. It's life. People buy bolt-ons all the time, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. You got unlucky. I have been both lucky and unlucky, and I'm sure I'll be them again soon. If you are looking for perfect precision every single time, go buy a Ferrari.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wow good job on the tuck...?

Keep talking like you know anything about me, jerkoff. You got mustang building skills leaps beyond mine, huh? I'm sure you are very proud.

Lol , I don't need to know anything about you ... If you made a thread about this saying you don't wanna bend it your skills are lacking

OP
OP
I

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
Lol , I don't need to know anything about you ... If you made a thread about this saying you don't wanna bend it your skills are lacking

No, I made a thread asking if this was typical of matching parts. Of course I don't want to bend it - the point is I should have to. And now there is an easy to find piece of information for the next guy who makes the same mistake. Simple as that.

Look, there is only one reason I bought the BBK midpipe. It isn't because it's the best, it isn't because I'm particularly fond of BBK. I went with it to avoid dicking around. I didn't freak out the first time because I DO understand shit happens so that's why I had them send another straight from BBK. I couldn't care less what you think about it - the fact is I would have purchased a different midpipe had I known I could expect this

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Enough.. Obviously this guy hasn't fought long tube headers before so give the guy a break.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
So the over reactions were really needed here guys? Seriously?!?!?!?!? Are you guys ****ing kidding me?

You complain he had to come in here to say something about his issue. Yet you come in here and ***** that he made a thread.. Move the **** on and dont post. dont look at the thread. Not that hard.

Personally.. Was completely uncalled for.....soooo yea

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
95 Cobra, stock longblock. BBK LT's installed (15190) and the "shorty" O/R X pipe for longtubes does not line up at the collector flange. The headers are installed correctly and the collector flanges are over an inch wider than the flanges on my X pipe. Thinking I perhaps received a damaged X pipe, I sent it in for a replacement. The new X pipe (send drop-ship directly from California) fits exactly the same - it is too narrow and will not line up to my collector flanges.

I've been searching google for hours and found a few posts in a few different forums of folks having an issue like this and they all said they had to heat the pipe with a oxy torch and bent it into place.

HAS ANYONE HERE DEALT WITH THIS CRAP?? <---- question #1

I was able to dig up the tech line number for BBK and spoke with a guy who said this is unusual and that I should sent an email to their warranty department with pictures and a copy of my invoice so they could look into it.... perhaps they need to stick it on their jig to see what happened.

1st: I bought BBK because they have a good reputation for making exhaust components
2nd: I anticipated fitment issues hence why I bought matching headers/midpipe
3rd: Sending this back to California isn't going help anything because I'm guessing their jig is what the problem is
4th: I refuse to heat, bent or tweak any of this crap because I'm spending the time and $ to do this right. I am trying to PREVENT dealing with leaks and such and heating/bending an overpriced pipe isn't going to help that end. <--- OP intentions

What would you do? <---question #2 The car is stock and there really isn't a way to misinstall a header. I have confirmed the compatibility of these part numbers.

I wanna know why anyone involved had an issue answering these two simple questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.