Been a few years, looking for advice.. (95 GT)

ren

Reaction score
XGSSqdAl.jpg

Car is saying.. "Soon"

Hey guys I used to be a lot more active with my mustang a few years ago, finances and life got in the way somewhere but I am getting ready to fix it up again and needed some advice.

It's been sitting for over 19 months, last I drove it pushing in the clutch had a weird feeling (no snap) and I suspect the clutch imploded as there were horrible metal on metal sounds if I would try to turn the engine over. Didn't plan on having it sit this long but want to go ahead and get it working again after parking it

For starters I obviously need a new clutch, so was thinking of starting here (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7560B-K/94-95-Mustang-50L-Master-Clutch-Replacement-Kit), car has no engine upgrades so power won't be a concern

Can't do the work myself unfortunately but anyone have a price estimate for putting this kit in? I'm in Los Angeles and if anyone had a shop recommendation that would be cool as well :)

I'd probably do the oil pan gasket as well since that was leaking but anything else I should be paying attention to after the car has sat this long?

Thanks everyone and hope to be posting more about it soon

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do the rear main seal too. and possibly the front although the front can wait till later if you don't have the money now

OP
OP
R

ren

Reaction score
Do the rear main seal too. and possibly the front although the front can wait till later if you don't have the money now

That kit comes with a rear main seal, was planning on having that thrown on as well because while it's open why not

Kboss87

Reaction score
Aside from changing the fluids, charging/checking battery, checking hoses/belt, maybe a tune-up, etc., shouldn't really need anything else besides whats broke.

Kboss87

Reaction score
Oh and also, I've had the Ram HDX in another car. Its a great clutch. Held up well even with a 100 shot of nitrous.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
my clutch has never had any snap to it, that's just how these cable clutches are if I'm thinking of what you're talking about.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do not use that steeda adjustable cable. I strongly suggest getting an OEM ford cable with the rest of your purchase.

On the note of how much is installation. Most shops pull trans and do clutch from 3 to 400. I've seen as low as 2.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
Check input shaft seal and the snout that the throwout bearing rides on. If it's not too worn or gouged from the failure a little Emory paper should clean it up.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do not use that steeda adjustable cable. I strongly suggest getting an OEM ford cable with the rest of your purchase.

This. OEM cable and MM cable adjuster and you will be happy (as will your cable).

RichV

Reaction score
The Steeda kits had the Ford cable, at least at one time. It's the one I have on my race car, of course I bought mine about 5 years ago.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Steeda now makes their own conglomeration of parts thrown together to make a cable, and from experience, they snap quite easily lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my clutch in preparation for the added power from the vortech and after asking around I picked a different version to handle the power. Everyone I talked too though said to go with a ford racing throw out bearing even though my kit came with one. I know the last time I had my clutch replaced they used the tob that came with it and it started whistling 2 week later. Now it didn't ever actually fail as it did that for the last 4 yrs but imo its still worth the cash to hopefully save you from tearing it all out again.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently not Ford racing but OEM ford

^this. OEM Ford TOB. I also got one when I did my clutch rather than use the one that came with it - for the same reasons, everybody said to use that "or else." And I wasn't going to take the chance billions of internet users were wrong. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online