Been a while, need some wiring help please.

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
Alright so its been awhile since Ive been on. Thanks to my girlfriend who spilled coke all over my previous laptop. Ok well, I have previously asked questions about my dashlights and blinkers not working, however my emergency flashers do operate. Well the other day I purchased a new dimmer switch(blinker). That did not solve the problem soI looked further. Well after removing my headlight switch I noticed that a wire had gotten hot(I believe do to HID's). This led me to investigate my harness. I figured out why the dashlights are out, I have an open wire oncircuit 16 I believe it is. Here comes thepart where I ask for help. Somewhere between my headlight switch and dash panel this wire has burned out or shorted out. I also believe it may have taken other wires with it(blinkers perhaps). How hardis it going to be to actually get to this wiring harness? Should I remove thedash and pull the whole harness? Please any suggestions would help, I am unable to pass inspection and would rather not get a ticket.

Adam95GT

Reaction score
You should be able to just unpin and get a new connector its a common problem,

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
You need to get a wiring diagram for that circuit (Instrument cluster most likely). Find out what components are on there. The wire that was burnt, did it have an inline fuse attached to it?

OP
OP
Blakonblak94

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
I dont beieve it hada fuse, but what leads me to believe it burnt others is that things started to go out seperately. Like first my cluster, then my blinkers, then my fogs. Well I know which wire fixes the cluster its lightblue/red and comes off of the actualy headlight switch. I have a mustang shop manual so Ihave wiring schematics.Im just wondering whats the best way to go about replacng said wire,and checking tosee if others have opened up as well.

OP
OP
Blakonblak94

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
Thanks for that but that doesnt solve how Ifound which wires are fouled and the best way toget them from behind my dash. I can rewire the harness, that's no problem, its diagnosing the proper way to actually pull the harness out seeing as how it appears to run from the driver side allthe all the way to the other without a connection in between to pull it out easier.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes it will be easier to pull the dash sa there is almost no access to that damn harness. IT goes straight up the side and across teh back of the dash near the top.

OP
OP
Blakonblak94

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
Thanks ttocs, once the dash is actually out will it be more accessible? Im just trying to plot things out before I actually take the plunge.

MustangBrad94gt

Reaction score
Id take a schematic, cut back bad wires at headlight switch, cut back bad ones back to good wire, find a route for these new wires, wire loom it and be done

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online