Belt alignment ok??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Noticed my belt is a tad out of alignment, or so it seems to me. One groove seems to either be misaligned or has walked forward at two places: alternator and power steering pulley.
Is this ok? If not, how realign??image.jpgimage.jpg

07GtS197

Reaction score
That’s not good. Put a straight edge on your pullies, one of them is out of alignment. It looks like one groove is already gone. Eventually it’ll shred that belt.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To put the belt back on the pulleys in the meantime, just crank the tensioner back and shove the belt back in place?

If the pulleys need alignment, how do I do this?

Thanks!!

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Noticed my belt is a tad out of alignment, or so it seems to me. One groove seems to either be misaligned or has walked forward at two places: alternator and power steering pulley.
Is this ok? If not, how realign??View attachment 15356View attachment 15357
To quickly verify pulley edge alignment, simply use dental floss! Hold the dental floss against the far edge of one pulley and then put the other end of the floss against the far edge of the second pulley. This will give you a quick visual idea of alignment! Improper alignment will shorten belt life as well as bearing life!
hope this idea helps you.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
In your top photo, the near side pulley appears to have more grooves in the pulley than the belt! Don't know why, but I suspect that it was a replacement pulley selected only on its diameter and not on the pulley's width...

tinnocker

Reaction score
I believe the pullies are aligned. The belt is forward toward the radiator about a quarter inch in both pictures. The belt may have been installed that way or it is too loose. Push belt back and tighten belt tension.

Reactions: GTR

dcm0123

Reaction score
Had a similar problem on my 94.
Not sure why but when I accelerated the belt would tend to ride off the side of the idler "below" the alternator. It would be properly centered until I accelerated and would recenter after accelerating. I often would find the belt partially on the alternator. Couple of time it came off completely. I saw the belt shifting by standing above the engine and revving it in neutral.

To solve this I installed on this idler an aftermarket idler pulley with flanges on the edges. This was a machined aluminum pulley made for this vehicle. Price has almost doubled since I bought one about 5 years ago. I believe the one below is the one I purchased, you may want to measure it first.

Never had a problem after installing this.

Found a plastic one for less than $20

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
It appears as though your idler pulley is out of alignment.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
To put the belt back on the pulleys in the meantime, just crank the tensioner back and shove the belt back in place?

If the pulleys need alignment, how do I do this?

Thanks!!
first of all make sure all the mounting brackets are flush against the block
eye all the pullies make sure they are aligned with each other , if not aligned . you may have to shim what ever it is till its aligned

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Eyeballed it. Pretty darn straight. Maybe a tad off but I ordered the Steeda pulley (#555-3325) from Summit with shoulders to replace the top center pulley. So hopefully that’ll be enough to keep the belt on, in line and secure and functioning properly.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yes, that's the idler pulley. Hopefully that will fix it. Keep in mind to install it the right way. The offset is probably not in the center of the pulley.
Come to think of it, maybe that pulley was replaced and they installed it backwards.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they do not need to be off far enough for your eye to see to be able to throw the belt. Its possible the brackets are loose or possibly cracked and flexing when you have it under pressure. I would take the belt off and lean on each or the pulleys a fair amount to see if it moves AT ALL and while you are there throw a straight edge on the pulleys to verify they are straight.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The new pulley should be here today. Couple of questions:
1. How taught do I crank the tensioner and the bolt?; and
2. Do I need to replace the belt?

Edges of the belt seem fine, but if the belt itself is suspect as part of the whole “coming away from the pulley” thing, then I wouldn’t be opposed to replacing it… (preventative maintenance?)

Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pulley arrived (late in the day of course). Pulled belt off and installed new pulley and accompanying washer. New pulley’s diameter less than old one. After removal of the old one, I noticed it was ink-stamped “GM …..”. Huh, anyway…
I didn’t like the alignment but I found another 7/16 washer and added that. Alignment looks pretty good now. Just waiting for NAPA to open at 8:00 to pick up my new belt.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Many idler and tensioner pulley are universal. This would explain the "GM" marking.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ended up taking the additional washer off. Pushed it too far out of alignment. lol
Here’s the result:
image.jpg

dcm0123

Reaction score
Sorry this is not where I installed the pulley on mine. I installed it on the idler below the alternator (the tensioner). This is the one which the belt would start to ride off the side when I accelerated.

Look at the alignment of the belt on the tensioner pulley when you flick open the throttle. If you see it move, I suggest you install this pulley there.

1646187642651.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever I did, it’s working! I checked the belt after driving about a mile, varying rev’s, etc. It’s staying in line!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99