Belt is shredding after my PI Swap.

Black 96

Reaction score
Just finished my PI Swap on my 96 GT and the car runs fantastic! One problem though, the belt jumped a rib forward on the crank pulley and shredded the majority of that rib off. Now I may have put the belt on wrong because I was in somewhat of a hurry but I am pretty sure that I did put it on correctly. Could the pulleys be misaligned?? I don't want to shred another belt because they're not cheap. Any ideas on what it could be before I attempt to try another belt?? Thanks for the help!

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Maybe a Pulley that has a bad bearing, or one that's not secured correctly allowing it to move... I'd buy a new belt and put it in and see if you can tell if the pillows are all lined up or not...

Not too experienced in diagnosing that and I have no experience in 4.6 motors... Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If all that was there before the swap is there now after the swap and installed properly you shouldnt have a problem. Just get in there and check it out

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do a full PI swap including the heads? If so, maybe when you had the balancer off you didn't press it back on all of the way....

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Did you do a full PI swap including the heads? If so, maybe when you had the balancer off you didn't press it back on all of the way....
Yes, a full PI Swap. How do you know if the balancer is back on all the way??

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
it'll sit about a 8th of a inch of the back of the timing cover.

Did you use the same alternator bracket you had as well?

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
it'll sit about a 8th of a inch of the back of the timing cover.

Did you use the same alternator bracket you had as well?

No, I bought the new alternator bracket. But I did notice that my alternator does not bolt up from the top (possibly aftermarket???) only to the block. It's confusing me.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the only two bolts holding the alternator are the two bottom ones going into the block? If that's the case, then that's most likely your issue. Under load, that alternator is flexing around and shredding the belt...

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
So the only two bolts holding the alternator are the two bottom ones going into the block? If that's the case, then that's most likely your issue. Under load, that alternator is flexing around and shredding the belt...

No, I bought the new alternator bracket. But I did notice that my alternator does not bolt up from the top (possibly aftermarket???) only to the block. It's confusing me.

Yeah dude you have the wrong bracket. its not a big deal, just take your npi one and drill the new holes. You may not even have to, most don't.

You have to have support from both the top and bottom of the alternator.

If not: The belt tension will literally pull the alternator downward and your belt will slip off and/or get destroyed - I only say that because it happened to me and snapped my tensioner and ate a belt before I switched the brackets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.