Best 2014 AWD car out there?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Subaru gets my vote. My roommate has an 11 wrx with a turboback and cobb tune and it put down 280 to the wheels. It is super comfortable and reliable, he hasnt had any problems with it.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Subaru gets my vote. My roommate has an 11 wrx with a turboback and cobb tune and it put down 280 to the wheels. It is super comfortable and reliable, he hasnt had any problems with it.

Yea I hear a lot of good things with them.. my cousins husband is friends with a guy who has a shop made specifically for Subaru, which is why I have been leaning towards it..

hondarocks61

Reaction score
also, my buddy just got a rwd version of the is350, IT HAULS! Very nice car... I would stay away from German stuff, but I could be a bit biased. I just feel like an s4 wouldn't be reliable enough.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
IS350 AWD starts at $42,700

any reason it has to be a brand new car? You can save many thousand buying a couple years old especially with these higher end cars.

well mainly cause I was trying to lease the car.. so of course when you lease, its brand new, and than I get it exactly how I want it and then I know that the clutch hasn't been destroyed by somebody beating up on their car, I mean in 2 months I will access how much I have and go from there, I just figured new would be easier

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
originally the only available stick shift second gen IS were the 250 rwd version. i doubt it was popular and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
ahhh ok yea I never heard of the rwd ones, I see why now lol.. so nobody has any love towards the evo huh? hmm im surprised lol

ElKabong197

Reaction score
Stock STI will run all over the 13s depending on how hard you want to launch it.

Sent from my Galaxy S fizzledizzle using Tapatizzile Twizzle

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
oh alright, well with exhaust, intake, tune, and some really steep launching... should be able to get into the 12s right? of course it depends on the driver lol but I just wanna make sure the car has the ability

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly hate the look of the new STIs. The hatchbacks are the only exception.. they look decently nice. However I'm assuming you're looking for a sedan.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I honestly hate the look of the new STIs. The hatchbacks are the only exception.. they look decently nice. However I'm assuming you're looking for a sedan.

you assume correctly sir, I personally hate hatches, not really a fan of them at all.... There are some that I have seen look really nice, im hopefully that I would be able to get one without the wing though... don't know if I can

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION] has a 2011 STI.

He should be able to shed some light on those cars if you have any questions.

ElKabong197

Reaction score
You can order them with the low rise wing

Sent from my Galaxy S fizzledizzle using Tapatizzile Twizzle

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
awesome yea, since I have the stang, not 2 many STI owners that I know or am friends with haha

and oh ok yea I know which wing your talking about, I personally think that looks 100x better than that big wing, except back on the 05s, the big wing belonged IMO

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late entry, been away for a bit. As [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] said, I have a 2011 STI sedan. I went through the same process you are talking about, when I was looking for a new DD back in 2011. I wanted AWD as well, and looked around quite a bit. My opinions, for whatever they are worth:

I have a 2011 ST, the girlfriend has a 2012 A4 quattro (which I convinced her to get). I also looked at BMW, VW, and Evo's, and WRX's. Ultimately, it depends on what you want out of an AWD system - you going to be driving in snow? I live in Florida, so I was more performance oriented, not so much bad weather oriented. Honestly, I think Subaru has one of the better AWD setups around. Most AWD systems (like the Evo, some BMWs) are actually a FWD, with the AWD tacked on. Evo's do it well. BMW does it okay. Subaru is more of a RWD platform, with FWD as well. Personally, I like that better. Audi is the same way. For Florida performance-oriented driving, any of those probably work fine for what is legal (-ish) on the street. For bad weather, I would stick with Subaru or Audi.

My girlfriend's Audi is nice - but I'm not sure I'd recommend them. They make them purposely difficult to work on - you want to change the oil? Hope you have an extractor, because if you try to remove what you think is the oil pan plug, you just bought yourself a new $1000 oil pan. The dealership recommends that you DON'T rotate the tires. And I'm sure when we put different wheels on the car they will tell us that it was a bad thing to do because it will cause this and thus. As far as the car itself, it's very nice. We like it a lot. Certainly low on power compared to my STI, however with the 8 speed auto you'd be doing 80 before you realized it (and the car is super smooth).

For me, I love my STI. I've got an AccessPort on it, and a CAI to install. It has around 280 to the wheels right now, and Good Lord does it pull hard. It's plenty fast for me as a DD right now, and all I did was AccessPort it. I don't beat everything in a straight-line drag, but once the corners or cloverleaf ramps come up, goodbye whatever it was. The traction is just utterly unreal (I currently have 9.5" wide wheels and 275 on all 4 corners). And I love the styling of the sedan. It's bulky, somewhat vulgar, has huge fenders, and I just love the shit out of it. I even don't mind the wing. I'm sure some people in other cars probably point and laugh, but that's okay. I don't care. I honestly believe the wing is necessary - on the street, of course not. On the track, where I intend on using the car at some point, absolutely. I also love that not many people around here have one. I see tons of BMWs, Audi's, VW's...not so much with the Subarus.

An Evo would be a good choice too, probably a touch quicker than the STI. But the interior in the STI is just much nicer. Since I DD it, I wanted the nicer interior. If I was buying the car just for racing, then I would have given the Evo more consideration.

In the end, if it really is just DD, go with any of the AWD cars that you like the best, with emphasis on what makes it a nice DD. I personally wanted a rock solid AWD system, and car that was somewhat unique. If you value a smooth ride and nice interior more, go with an Audi or BMW. If you want something with balls and are willing to sacrifice some of the inside luxury, go with a WRX, STI or Evo.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Rallim

Reaction score
STI's are $17,000 with a turbo to make them $35,000.

Personally, I'd look at an AWD Mazdaspeed 6 if they still make those. They're friggin nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online