best long tube fitmen . bbk or mac 94 5.0

94yellow50

Reaction score
I've gone thru as much Google posts as I can and most are almost a decade old. I've read mac fit up closer to the body n give a little more ground clearance. Just looking for up to date info on which people prefer the most.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My BBK long tubes are tucked right up above the subframes so they fit well and hug the floor

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I run MAC's aswell. With the auto it was a tight fit! But its a 5 speed now, so there's a ton of clearance on either side of the trans. And the longtubes aren't an issue ground clearance wise. Do yourself a favor and wrap the starter with heat wrap, eventually the heat from the LT's will cook it. $30 for the wrap on latemodel, peace of mind.

Side shot, can't really see the longtubes. I'm lowered just around 1.2" up front. No issues with clearance anywhere.

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
As far as clearance to the starter, and clutch cable. Both are ample clearance?

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
Oh and another quick one...where'd you buy your macs. I find bbk all over. I've barely seen anyone list the ceramic coated macs. I see them on the mac site. Just wondering if anyone had better pricing.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
my clutch cable / clutch fork cover and starter fit no problem with my Mac and i have the larger 1 3/4" runners. I found mine on craigslist and paired with a VRS x pipe. The mac H pipe is a piece of shit, pro chamber didn't fit much better.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have Mac LT's and a prochamber. The passenger o2 sensor touched the top of the trans pan on an AODE, wasn't real excited about that, with the T5 there is all kinds of room. The prochamber outlets are prob the lowest point, I scrape on parking lot entrances, have to avoid speed bumps. With FR B springs.

kb1982

Reaction score
BBK's fit pretty good on mine. Its a little tight around the massive Mcleod bellhousing, but that is to be expected. As far as dragging them. it only happens when im forced to drop the tires off the passenger side of the road due to retarded drivers. No matter which brand you choose, wrap the starter or it will prolly heat soak and drag when up to operating temperature.

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Especially about wrapping the starter. Now I just need to figure out where to buy them from. Plan is while I have motor out to smooth n paint engine bay to put these on. Never attempted but can you set the engine in with long tubes already on the motor? I would think it'd make getting the bolts in easier. But if its more of a pain setting it I can bolt them up when its in.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea the motor can go in with the headers on . I've done it both ways on my car I find long tubes easier to install the equal length shorties .

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
Well went ahead n ordered the macs from tre. 4-6 weeks out but for me its ok because I won't need them until December. Hopefully they fit nicely. Thanks for the help guys

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BBK's fit great, without a doubt the easiest long tubes I've ever installed on a vehicle.

EDIT: I just saw you posted that you bought the MAC long tubes so nevermind, hope they work out well for you.

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
Hopefully around Christmas I'll be putting motor back in. Its all in now but coming out to smooth n paint the engine bay. Whiplash your bay is one that serves as motivation for me. So far I've got Scott rod Fab panels welded in n some of the filler n sanding has been done. Finishing will be this winter.

OP
OP
94yellow50

94yellow50

Reaction score
Well finally got the engine bay painted and motor dropped back in with the mac longtubes. I set it in with just the driver side bolted on to try n make it a little easier. Wasn't terrible going in. I did set the engine back in with trans still in car so that caused more problems than anything. I bought a short x pipe from vrs that said it was mac longtubes specific. Well it doesn't fit at all. Gonna try cutting up the old off road x from the shorty headers to make it work. But as for fit the headers seem to fit really nice. Haven't had it on the ground ywt go see ground clearance. But they tuck to the car almost as close as possible.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My MAC LT's fit really well. Tight when it was auto, really nice fit when I went 5 speed last year. Do yourself a favor! Wrap your starter with heat wrap, or else your starter will get cooked eventually.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All you guys with these long tubes and the pain that they can be just makes me that much happier that my headers face forward now!!! Lol

But on a more serious note when I helped my buddy put his bbk's on they were tight on his aod but no major issues.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online