Best options for tuning my 94 GT

Discussion in 'Forced Induction & Tuning' started by ElrodKTPQ_89, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

Hey guys, some of you know this winter I'll be putting a 347 in my car. The engine will be fairly simple...AFR 185 heads, Lunati Voodoo cam (unsure on specs at this moment), ported Cobra intake, 70mm tb, Lightning MAF and 42# injectors. What's the best recommended route I should go for getting this thing tuned? This is something I know absolutely nothing about, but would like to learn as much as I can on. I've read and heard about Adder being able to burn a chip, and the only others I've really heard of are Moates/QH and MegaSquirt. I've been doing some reading on MS here lately and I'm kinda interested in it. I like the idea of the challenge of putting it together myself. But once again I honestly have no clue what would be best for me and need some guidance from some of you more experienced guys. I'm here to answer any questions thrown my way!

2. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Dyno tune or bust. I don't trust remote tuning. Reason being, you'll have to do data logging and send it to the tuner for alterations etc. I'd rather just have it tuned in person so the tuner can make adjustments and see how the car reacts in real time so to speak.

3. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Well-Known Member

i like it already

4. ttocs

ttocs Legend

If you have a reputable tuner that does it I would recomend that for sure. Ask around and you will find out pretty quick if people do or do not use them and why. Remote tuning is still a possibility if you have everything set up right but I would still rather have my tuner in my car if I can.

5. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

See that's the thing, I only know of one tuning shop that's fairly close to me, about two hours away...and that guy is mostly known for working on LS engines and some of the modular ford crowd. Not sure he's ever worked on anything like the 94-95's. I'll do some digging and find out if there are any other shops close to me that I may just not have known about. I'd just like to know what other options I have if I'm not able to find a tuner in my area.

6. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Have you called StangHi over in Baton rouge? I know its a little bit of a drive for you but they seem to know whats up. On the same note, I like the abilities of the megasquirt. You can even get a plug and play unit that takes place of your stock ecu.

7. ttocs

ttocs Legend

your kinda in the same boat as me then. I have two dynos in/around town but I when asking around they come back between a "HELL NO" and "NO!" so they are out. Now 2.5 hrs away there is a good one but I am not good for traveling much with my digestive issues. I do have all the gauges that I would need to do the remote tuning and pretty sure I am not into doing the reading/research needed for tuning it myself so.....

8. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

yep, sounds about the same as my situation.

I emailed a guy in Oak Grove today, that's the closest to me so I figured I'd start with him first. I know there's more options in south LA but man I hate to have to haul my car 4-5 hours back and forth just to get it tuned. I've been looking on megasquirts site though and found this one:

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirtpnp-g2-eec4b8-for-94-95-ford-mustang-5-0-manual-trans/

But I'm not really sure if that's would be best for me or not.

9. lwarrior1016

I feel ya man. If you hauled the car all the way down to BR I could come out there, and Im sure [MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] would come out there since he is in the area (that is if he isnt working, that guy works way too damn much lol).

DIYAutoTune is where I got my megasquirt stuff from. They are great guys to deal with and they know their product. There is a fair amount of work to be done even with plug and play systems. The learning curve is stupid steep and I havent even started learning mine yet. It would be an awesome system and you have a lot of options. You could even go distibutorless ignition. You'll have to be prepared for the work though.

10. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

Typical response so far:

[​IMG]

I started talking with some guys last night who run a shop about 3.5 hours away that deal a lot with MS. In their own words it's the best way to go but I'm sure that's because that's what they're the most familiar with. Either way I've been doing so much reading that it hurts and am still doing so. I'm not going to rule out traveling down south just yet though, just trying to avoid it lol.

11. lwarrior1016

Dude, if you have someone local that can tune megasquirt then it should be a no brainer. Get the plug and play unit and have them tune it.

12. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

In fact, I just got in from work. Have to go back again around midnight and I have to be back for 0700 for unit start up coverage (sit around and pray) :thumbsup:

13. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

[MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION]

14. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Mega squirt makes a fine product. Do your research on what you need to do it yourself and see if its feasible. A dyno tune is much easier though....

15. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

With the pre OBD2 cars you are pretty much stuck to one of the following: Quarterhorse (but still have to find someone to tune it), remote tune/chip such as Bama, Mega squirt (will have to get someone to tune it), AEM (someone will have to tune it).

You certainly have some challenges. I would say MS but you or someone will still have to tune it (preferably on a dyno). The other issue with MS is that it will be speed density, which means you will need vacuum at idle, and depending on the voodoo can you get that might be an issue...

16. lwarrior1016

Are you sure it HAS to be speed density?
    Mine will run a maf sensor, speed density, or Alpha-n. Megasquirt is so versatile its not even funny.

17. Musturd

Musturd Legend

Quarterhorse is the way to go you can get addermk2 to send you a base file and he will tell you how to tune it and walk you through it

18. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

No, it doesn't have to be speed density. Any of the three you mentioned can be used. Speed Density (SD) is just easier. A MAF will work as well, but you have to know the transfer function for the MAF to tune it properly. To get this, typically, you have to try to find published data for the MAF you want to use or attempt to figure it out mathematically. With SD, you can make good estimates, see what the engine does, and fine tune. You don't really have to "know" anything upfront (I am being somewhat simplistic here).

But you can totally use a MAF. If you decide to use one of the plug-n-play versions for our car, and you don't plan on building it yourself, you will have to contact DIYAutotune (or whomever you buy from) and make sure they set yours up specifically to support a MAF, as they come with SD standard. If you are building Megasquirt yourself, then you can do whatever you want :)

19. shoua50

shoua50 New Member

Gotta tell you man, first Lightning MAF with 42lb injectors won't work unless u get a chip burned, reason is: sure MAF is calibrated for 42lb injectors but your ECU is still calibrated for 19lb injectors so your car will run rich as crap and can ash out yous piston rings. Ditch the MAF and go speed density. I have a FAST XFI on my car and tuning is really not that hard. You are only gonna be tuning three maps fuel, ignition timing, and air fuel ratio. The rest of the programs on all these aftermarket piggyback or stand alone computers you won't use. I had my car tuned on a dyno and after watching how they use datalogging to change the tune was able to figure it out. Even on boosted applications my FAST system came witha chart for me to put in as a base starting point for my fuel. Trust me it's easier than you think, the only need for a dyno is because it's a controlled enviroment. Only thing they watch is air fuel ratio,if it starts to go lean the shut it off, look at datalog, adjust fuel graph where it went lean and increase fuel from where it went lean. It would take too long to explain but once you do it yourself once it's actually real easy. I datalog every run i make and check it after every run

20. ttocs

ttocs Legend

whites install of the holley system has had me looking at it. Seems like a nice system but at a price for sure.