Best pads for OE brakes?

RedPony

Reaction score
I'm the new owner of a bone stock '96 Mustang GT convertible with 28K miles. I'm not too thrilled with the stopping performance of the OE brakes. I flushed the brake fluid and checked the pads and rotors. I still have plenty of brake pad left (8-9 mm all around). I checked the rotors and they are still good (thickness is in-spec [nearly new] on all 4 rotor and no warping that I can tell), so I'm looking to upgrade the pads and install a set Russell SS brake lines too.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best pad to use with the OE brake setup. The car is going to see street use only. Thanks.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"Best pad" will be a bit subjective - meaning people will have their favorites, like motor oil. Some will swear by one brand, while claiming a different brand is horrible. I think any popular brand will work great for you; most popular brands of various steps of aggressiveness for street pads, going from very little dust and noise (and lower stopping power) to higher dust and noise, and improved stopping power. Ceramics tend to be pretty popular.

I personally use Hawk on my Mustang (much more aggressive pad, but then I track it), and Stop Techs (street variety) on my DD. Both work well, though I like the Hawks a little better. I don't think you can go wrong with Hawk. Others will have opinions as well.

OP
OP
R

RedPony

Reaction score
Yes, I should have been more specific about "best". My main concern is stopping power however I don't want a pad that is going to be really hard on my rotors either. Noise and brake dust are secondary concerns (but less of each of these would be preferred).

I looked into Hawk, Akebono, Centric and Stoptech pads. It looks like most folks prefer Hawk pads. Does anyone have experience with the Hawk HPS vs. Hawk Performance Ceramic pads in the OE brake setup? As I said, I would greatly appreciate input from anyone with real world experience replacing their OE pads.

lutter94

Reaction score
Powerstops have been great for me. Requires a break in procedure that isn't bad, but I love em.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I use Hawk HP+, great stopping power, medium dust, probably harder on rotors than you would like. If I were you, I'd go with Hawk HPS 5.0 - gentle on rotors, great stopping power, low dust, low noise.

OP
OP
R

RedPony

Reaction score
I use Hawk HP+, great stopping power, medium dust, probably harder on rotors than you would like. If I were you, I'd go with Hawk HPS 5.0 - gentle on rotors, great stopping power, low dust, low noise.

I've done a lot of reading online and I agree the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

EDIT: I just checked and I looks like Hawk only makes rear HPS 5.0 pads for a '96 GT but no HPS 5.0 front pads. They only make HPS 5.0 front pads for a '96 Cobra. Guess I'll just go with the (regular) HPS pads.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading online and I agree the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

EDIT: I just checked and I looks like Hawk only makes rear HPS 5.0 pads for a '96 GT but no HPS 5.0 front pads. They only make HPS 5.0 front pads for a '96 Cobra. Guess I'll just go with the (regular) HPS pads.

HPS are good pads too. In all honesty, I'm not sure you would really notice the different between HPS and HPS 5.0...

RichV

Reaction score
HPS is a good choice. Any performance pad NEEDS to be bedded correctly. So be aware of that, use the manufacturer instruction and do it as soon as you install them.

I ran the HPS on my 05 GT with great results running street and track duty. Little dusty, but great overall pad. The performance pads are usually easier on rotors.

The pads are 90% of the brake feel and stopping power. Once I started using performance pads, I don't know how I managed with the part store junk.

OP
OP
R

RedPony

Reaction score
"HPS 5.0" is just the name of the brake pad. The 5.0 has nothing to do with Mustangs as Hawk make this HPS 5.0 pad to fit many different makes and models of cars. (5.0 as in HPS generation 5.0 I guess).

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ This. 5.0 has nothing to do with Mustang. Revision 5, whatever. Also, I think it's a relatively new pad, so maybe they haven't made them for every car out there yet. It's possible they'll make them available for more cars as time goes on.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some on this forum suggested spending a little more and getting the SVE Cobra 13" Brake Upgrade Kit.
https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300K-S/19...z5l_JGhjbQCgHMtE4aDUhQ2HcxwfGXzdczBoC_qnw_wcB

This sounds like the way to go. Can anyone confirm these SVE calipers and rotors will clear my 17" OE Ford front wheels?

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's basically LMR's knockoff version of the Cobra brakes. (I don't mean knockoff in a bad way here). I suspect the kit is a little more than what people have posted here because that kit includes rotors and stuff - I think the prices listed here were thinking for the calipers only. When I bought my Cobras for the front, if I recall correctly, I paid somewhere around $500 to $600 for the kit (included rotors) so this price is certainly in the ball park. You could upgrade to SS brake lines for the front but if you are using the car for the street only then it's not necessary.

And yes, they will fit your OE 17" wheels. If these indeed are Cobra clones (which I think they are) then they should fit. 16" wheels I think would not fit.

OP
OP
R

RedPony

Reaction score
UPDATE: I decided on Hawk HPS brake pads and Russell stainless steel braided brake hoses all around. I got them installed 2 days ago and they are a big improvement over the OE pads and hoses. The Cobra front brake upgrade was a great idea, but was overkill for my needs.

Mustanger

Reaction score
UPDATE: I decided on Hawk HPS brake pads and Russell stainless steel braided brake hoses all around. I got them installed 2 days ago and they are a big improvement over the OE pads and hoses. The Cobra front brake upgrade was a great idea, but was overkill for my needs.

Overkill is nice...you never know when...Congrats on a fine job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.