Best place to buy transmissions?

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Many of you have swapped out transmissions in the past. Where is the best place to buy a transmission? (Other than junkyards)

I'm looking to swap my AODE for a 5 speed. Thanks!

lutter94

Reaction score
I crawled the forums. Some places can be found online that sell fresh remans. Sometimes beefed up. I believe cobra t5s are safe up to 330 where the gt is good for 300 ft lbs. Don't quote me, just what I thought I saw.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Rebuild your slushbox or buy a new trans.

Transmissions, like cylinder heads, are one item that I will never again, buy used.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

OP
OP
M

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
Rebuild your slushbox or buy a new trans.

Transmissions, like cylinder heads, are one item that I will never again, buy used.

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to buy new if possible, if you know of any good sellers online let me know. My AODE was already rebuilt once at 80,000 miles by Aamco, now at 120,000 it's dead again.

jumbowolfe

Reaction score
I put a Jasper in my 94 automatic. I had a shop install it and what not, but, any shop that sells Jasper's basically cover it for 3 years, 100,000 mile warranty. Costs a bit more than other tranny's, but given they are reliable and well known in the mechanic field, I decided to go that route. No slipping, very tight shifts, and my cousin who did the work said most customer's where he's used Jasper's far outlive any other rebuilt transmissions he's sent out to be rebuilt.

You basically find a shop, then they send them the core, and then drop ship the shop a reman tranny. If I remember right, I think I paid $1800 for the tranny (or close to that) and I think $300-500 for installation.

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php

Addermk2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to buy new if possible, if you know of any good sellers online let me know. My AODE was already rebuilt once at 80,000 miles by Aamco, now at 120,000 it's dead again.

Who's fault is that? Car parts don't just fail because they feel like it. They fail because they are pushed beyond their limitations.

Did you install an aftermarket valve body? Did you get the accumulators upgraded? Did you install a GOOD external trans cooler? Did you use the right fluid?

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Slipperman

Reaction score
I see you're in Chicago, so I'll pass along this recommendation:
http://www.karrybrotherstransmissions.com/
These guys are up in Waukegan and have been in business since 1951!
I had my automatic serviced last summer and cannot say enough good things about the outcome.
You should drop by and have them evaluate your situation at the least.

OP
OP
M

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
Who's fault is that? Car parts don't just fail because they feel like it. They fail because they are pushed beyond their limitations.

Did you install an aftermarket valve body? Did you get the accumulators upgraded? Did you install a GOOD external trans cooler? Did you use the right fluid?

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

I never blamed anyone, I deserved the first trans failure, but the second one I babied. I didn't install an external cooler, but considering how gentle I was on the rebuilt transmission, yes I think 40,000 miles is a bit pitiful.

OP
OP
M

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
I put a Jasper in my 94 automatic. I had a shop install it and what not, but, any shop that sells Jasper's basically cover it for 3 years, 100,000 mile warranty. Costs a bit more than other tranny's, but given they are reliable and well known in the mechanic field, I decided to go that route. No slipping, very tight shifts, and my cousin who did the work said most customer's where he's used Jasper's far outlive any other rebuilt transmissions he's sent out to be rebuilt.

You basically find a shop, then they send them the core, and then drop ship the shop a reman tranny. If I remember right, I think I paid $1800 for the tranny (or close to that) and I think $300-500 for installation.

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php

Thats not a bad price, I around $1900 for the last rebuild a few years ago. I'll have to check them out, thanks!

OP
OP
M

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
I see you're in Chicago, so I'll pass along this recommendation:
http://www.karrybrotherstransmissions.com/
These guys are up in Waukegan and have been in business since 1951!
I had my automatic serviced last summer and cannot say enough good things about the outcome.
You should drop by and have them evaluate your situation at the least.

Hmmm thanks for the info. I'd really like to swap the trans out for a manual though, the automatic just saps so much power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online