Best Ram Air Intake that clears the STB *PICS*

Ciotti

Reaction score
In my quest for the best ram air intake that will fit under the strut tower bar (found in this thread Click Here) I settled on the following pieces...

WMS Velocity tube (ceramic coated)
http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?WMS-VET96CCER
$105

Accufab 80mm MAF Filter Adapter
http://www.accufabracing.com/general.htm#MassAir
$40

UPR 9" Conical air filter
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=755
$40
wms-vet96c.jpg
MassAirAptJ.jpg
9bme_lrg.gif

Everything went together perfectly and holy hell did it make a difference over the BBK CAI! I can definitely tell a big difference in throttle responce and a slight difference in power. With the BBK CAI there was this half second delay when I'd punch the throttle and when free revving the car it was most noticable, you would hear the sucking through a straw sound then there'd be this awkward pause before the motor jumped to live and started revving.
Now as soon as I punch the throttle the motor just explodes and starts screaming towards redline, it makes double clutching soo much quicker.
As far as a seat of the pants difference, I swear to god I'm not imagining it and I definitely do feel the car pulling a bit harder and revving quicker towards redline now as I bang through the gears.

Intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg

Before...
Install1.jpg

During...
Install2.jpg

Install3.jpg

Install4.jpg

After...
Install5.jpg

Intake3.jpg

It's not shown in the picture, but this set up will easily clear the factory STB, but it will not clear the Maximum Motorsports STB. For the record, I can DEFINITELY tell a difference with the strut tower bar off, much more cowel shake, a lot of new awful noises, and a general jello feeling to the suspension I didn't have with it on.

And NO, I'm not going to clean my dirty ass engine bay, to be honest, I like it like that! I'm not entering this dam thing in any beauty contests, I drive it hard and put it away wet, I have enough trouble keeping the outside of the dam thing half clean I don't have any time or patience for the inside :)

OP
OP
C

Ciotti

Reaction score
I absolutely love it, I've had it for a few months now and it's been perfect in every way, the most impressive part is that no matter how hard I run the car, if I pop the hood and put my hand on the intake tube, it's only slightly warm. The ceramic coating is AMAZING, I tried doing that with the BBK "CAI" at one point and got a real nasty burn on my hand that hurt like hell for a week and a half or so.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would like to see a pic with the strut tower brace on. I will not change my intake system if I have to remove my strut tower brace.

OP
OP
C

Ciotti

Reaction score
I'll take a picture tomorrow with the STB on, I got it back on as quick as I could as the car felt like dog shit without it.

OP
OP
C

Ciotti

Reaction score
You asked for it :)

STB.jpg

It's close but it does fit...

Close.jpg

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
ciotti.. in the spring ur taking me out to get all that stuff and ur puttin it on my car! u hear me!

lol yea, trust him boys... that intake made a difference.. specailly if unluckily like us u have the BBK one... BOOOOOOOOO

and i was askin if he put his STB on cuz he bought a new one that was supposed to have more clearence but it didnt(MM).. glad u got it back on though..

i want that intake lol.. i hate this heat box thing i have

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wow, that is one of the dirtiest engine bays i have every seen. .......................................

OP
OP
C

Ciotti

Reaction score
I know it's dirty I know it's dirty I know it's dirty, but I'M NOT CLEANING IT!

At this point, the only thing holding it together during the daily beatings I hand out is that layer of dirt, so it stays! Mainly it's just that I don't care at all that it's dirty in there, there's a hood that hides it and that's good enough for me! I'll spend my time keeping the outside clean thank you very much :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online