Best Short throw shifter for 96 - 98 Cobra

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
don't get a Steeda Tri-Ax, they suck. i like my Pro5.0, i really wanna try a MGW though.

brwillms

Reaction score
I've had no problems with my Tri ax. It's on a 3550 though.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
mustang_shifter_3650.jpg

Thanks!

Reaction score
I recommend the Steeda Tri-Ax.

I've had it a while now and had no problems whatsoever. It has a good firm feel to it, short throws, positive stops and it basically finds 3rd gear on it's own. And for less than $170 it's a decent buy with an easy install, and yes it will accept the stock knob.

281cammer

Reaction score
I've always been a tri-ax fan, good feel and never had any issues with them. I've put a Tri-ax in all my previous and past 5-spd Mustangs, and will continue to

gt96stang

Reaction score
I converted two of my buddies that drove cobras.. One a sn and one a termy over to MGW once the drove my car.. nough said.. :hammer:

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
MGW is the best shifter I've seen. It has all advantages of every other shifter I've dealt with on the market (Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-ax, Hurst) with none of the disadvantages. The throw is very short, you'd have to TRY to miss third with the strength of the springs on it, it isn't notchy and it's also as quiet as the stocker O0

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
MGW.. seems to be winning this discussion so far.

Can anyone give any generic installation tips before I tackle it. Suggestions, Pixs (if anyone did while out)

95PGTTech

Reaction score
MGW. Just ordered two days ago. Can't wait.

We ordered solely based on over a three week look at almost every damn short shifter thread on every damn Mustang site on Earth. Almost every significant comment on the shifter was to the effect of "no more missing 3rd" which is both my and my wife's sole problem on the racetrack. Out of six passes, she has not made one without completely missing the gear. I have not made one where I felt like the 2-3 did not five times longer than 1-2.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Green SVT Convertible said:
MGW.. seems to be winning this discussion so far.

Can anyone give any generic installation tips before I tackle it. Suggestions, Pixs (if anyone did while out)

It's really easy. I got the MGW and the book has a detailed installation walkthrough if you need it, but you only need 3 sockets (8mm, 10mm, 13mm), the supplied allen wrenches, and preferably an extension. Highly recommend the extension, you'll need it for the upper left side bolt on the inner dust boot (console gets in the way). take the shifter out, get what's left of the old gasket off with a putty knife/razor blade, put gasket maker on there, bolt up your new shifter, set the stops, attach the handle/knob, and go to town. If you have all the tools ready to go it won't take you more than 20-30 minutes at a slow pace O0

Svtstrikesback

Reaction score
I personaly don't like the way the MGW's handle attaches, but to each their own. I had a Tri-Ax on my T-45, and it worked GREAT. It worked even better when I added some rubber gaskets to get some of the mechanical feel out of it, but other than the OVERLY mechanical feel from Steeda, I loved it. I tried out an MGW on a friends 03 Cobra and it was MUCH notchier than my Tri-Ax, so when I went to the T-56, I bought another Steeda. Again, with the rubber gaskets, it's almost perfect. Still some 3rd misses in the T-56 from time to time, but if I payed better attention, I'm sure I'd never have a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online