Best sounding cat back exhaust for 2v

Discussion in 'Exhausts' started by Motojoe, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Motojoe

Motojoe New Member

There are almost to many options for my mustang gt. Right now I'm looking to just do a cat back exhaust that will bolt to my stock cats(if that's possible) everyone I speak to has a different opinion. It's a daily so I don't want it too loud but I would like to turn some heads as I roar by. I'm leaning towards BBK only because a buddy has it on his 5.0 and it sounds nice. What other affordable options do I have. I don't want to have to do a tune so I'm trying to avoid an x pipe. Sorry if this is a beat to death topic.

2. slow90coupe

slow90coupe Well-Known Member

I know it will sound ghetto, but my car had the stock cats when I bought it, and it had glasspacks welded in to the stock exhaust. It sounded great, had a roar to it but wasn't very loud. But if you're looking for a catback, I liked my Flowmaster catback. Mac sounds great, but the fitment is TERRIBLE. I took mine off within a week.

3. kaveman

kaveman New Member

LM1's by SLP are wonderful! They actually arent all that loud with the cats still in the setup. I'm daily driving BBK equal length headers, SLP catted x-pipe ( gotta stay emissions legal -__- ) and the Loud Mouth 1 catback. It roars when I want it too and its not obnoxious when I don't want it to be I.e. anywhere near coppers lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

4. kaveman

kaveman New Member

And BTW you should be safe if you did decide to go with an x-pipe as long as it still has cats. When the cats are deleted (offroad x-pipes/h-pipes) you get error codes because the o2 sensors aren't happy with the un-catted exhaust.

5. joekd

joekd Well-Known Member

Magnapacks or SLP loundmouths, loud, annoying, perfect :)

Sounded great when I had just the catback, even better once I did a catted X-pipe

6. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I've never heard SLP's with cats in person but I always thought they seemed extra raspy from youtube video. On the other hand without cats they sound like satan's mating call. Personally I've always loved the sound of magnapacks on 2Vs. If I wasn't so up in arms about flaunting my godlike presence when I drive through my city, I would probably have gone with those over my SLPs.

7. joekd

joekd Well-Known Member

No vids without the X-pipe but here a couple with it and magnapacks

Outside

[video=youtube;60wSlWDXlE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wSlWDXlE8[/video]

Inside

[video=youtube;C0GBm1Q2cn0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GBm1Q2cn0[/video]

8. kaveman

kaveman New Member

From an owners perspective, catted LM1's sound great. The cats definitely keep the rasp to a minimum. I've actually thought of just stripping out the SLP cats on my set up to keep it legal "looking" and get a louder note. I do worry about the so called Satan's mating call effect though lol

9. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Bassani. Everyone that hears mine compliments it.

10. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

Bassani bx on a 2v for sure!

11. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

Mangnaflows.... nice idle but still a good roar when on the gas

or

Uncatted lm1s will turn heads hahaha

The D3V

12. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

this is something you should decide for yourself.

13. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Have the Steeda catback (by Borla). Outstanding fitment. The tailpipes were centered in the bumper cutouts on the first try.

That said, with the cats, the sound is kind of flat, and not that much louder than OE. If I wasn't shaky on whether I was keeping the car, then I'd look for something else. Hate to say it but the classic Flowmaster sound is great, just the quality usually isn't.

I had Pypes Race Pro and Pypes catted X on my '97. Great sound and noticeable power increase with the midpipe. But Pypes quality is crap, nothing lines up right, my exhaust guy at the time said he would have had an easier time building a system up from scratch. That and I had muffler flanges rotting after less than a year. Avoid them.

You should listen to clips of various combos on youtube, see what sounds good to you.

14. KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24 Legend

Corsa Blacks...... Gawwwd

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

15. Carnage281

Carnage281 Active Member

Sound clip please.

16. KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24 Legend

There aren't any. I took one on the drive home from work it's uploading now

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

17. KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24 Legend

Here ya go bud. Sorry it was 11:30 at night, I was trying to drive and film, and this car is loud as bawls. But you can kinda get an idea as to how it sounds. The muffler is shaped like a chambered muffler, but the inside is straight through and has a center pipe approximately half the length of the case thats got a bunch of holes in it, as well as the RSC stuff in it. We don't make them anymore so getting them is near impossible but I have the prints at work for them. It's one of the baddest sounding 2v's around, and I'm not just saying that because I work there lol. It's sic...

[video=youtube;ABcoKQYZvXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcoKQYZvXk[/video]

18. 03DSGGT

03DSGGT SN95 Supporting Member

I've had everything on my car from flow master 40 cstback, borla cat back, Mac pro dumps, dynomax race bullets, and now I made my own flow master cat back with super 44 mufflers... I've had off road h pipes, off road x pipes and a pro chamber..stock manifolds and longtubes....and I must say that my favorite setup is longtubes, flomaster super 44 exhaust with tail pipes and off road x or h pipe. I like the hollow sound of a chambered muffler on a mustang...

19. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

SLP LM1s over here.

/thread.

20. Carnage281

Carnage281 Active Member

Thanks for the clip man. I have been wanting to here a pair of corsas on a 2v for a looong time, and it sounds as awesome as I thought it would. I had been looking for corsa blacks for atleast a year now with no luck, so I just settled for spintech pro shootouts. I'm hoping it will sound something like this [video=youtube;6KeOG24Pnqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeOG24Pnqk[/video]