Best strategy for 550 RWHP

brwillms

Reaction score
550 rwhp is my current goal. Let me know what you think guys. I'm gonna need a new motor. The stock '96 just isn't getting it done. There are lot's of sports cars ( ZO6, M3, etc...) Let's just say I'm ready to wipe the smirk off some faces.

dutman98

Reaction score
If your insanely rich. I would build the motor with all forged internals and git some wicked blower cams and Put a Kenne Bell on it with a ton of boost. Thats what I wish I could do :eek:.

dutman98

Reaction score
I almost forgot heads. git some port and polished stage 2 heads. I know its an expensive setup but hey its nice to dream

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
www.vtengines.com

order a forged shortblock and st2 heads with st2 blower cams...then get a blower from Kenne Bell at 14psi and you will be at the 550rwhp mark that you want to be...now at that power level you will also need to upgrade the transmission/fuel system/rear diff-axles etc etc.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Droptop

Would you mind elabotating on the additional upgrades. I've already got a Tremec 3550 TKO. Lakewood SFI, Aluminum Driveshaft. Let me know specifics. Thanks

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sure,
you will need a new rear differential/31 spline axle combo
you will also need a big in tank fuel pump and most likely a in line fuel pump at 550rwhp level, not sure if you will need to upgrade the fuel rails but i wouls as well as bigger injectors...you will also need to tighten up your suspension to put that power to the ground.

waltnono

Reaction score
brwillms said:
550 rwhp is my current goal. Let me know what you think guys. I'm gonna need a new motor. The stock '96 just isn't getting it done. There are lot's of sports cars ( ZO6, M3, etc...) Let's just say I'm ready to wipe the smirk off some faces.

:noes: Thats a lot of power! Would it be a street car?

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Thats a lot of power! Would it be a street car?

That's the plan.

you will need a new rear differential/31 spline axle combo
I'm looking at the Moser...comments?

you will also need a big in tank fuel pump and most likely a in line fuel pump at 550rwhp level
I've heard the stock Cobra (I think '03) unit is great for this power level...comments?

you will also need to tighten up your suspension to put that power to the ground.
I've got Tokico Illuminas on order...I know I'll need subframes, UCAs, LCAs... any recommendations? I've also got MM Caster/Camber plates on the way. What else can you guys think of? Steeda x2s? I want to knock out all of the suspension this month. I also cancelled my wheel order. I've decided to go a different (read lighter) direction. I'm not planning on a k member at this point in time.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You have a different type of fuel system then the 03 Cobra...yours is a return system where the 99-04's are returnless (they actually swap to our style when they want to make big power)
you will need a Walbro 255lph high pressure intank pump along with an external pump or booster like a KB boost a pump.

the mosers are good, i have them, and i use the Auburn Pro rear diff.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Thanks droptop.

I'll look into the auburn unit. Any advice/recommendations as far as UCAs/LCAs /torque boxes. What about the front end? I know the bushings need to be changed. Any suggestions on a kit? Right now the shocks-struts/springs/brakes/CC plates are all on order. I think they will all be okay. Basically what else do I need to solidy the suspension. I'd rather order parts on my on than go through a shop. I 've got a friend who can do all the suspension work.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Droptop,

I've been doing some reading trying to answer a lot of my own questions. This is what I've come up with to help complete the suspension. Let me know what you think.

MM XD LCAs
FRPP HD UCAs
'03 Cobra Front LCAs
HD FORD Tie Rods
FRPP Bumpsteer kit

I've already ordered 13" brakes, H&R super sports, Tokico Illuminas, and Maximum Motorsports CC plates. Is anything mnissing? Do you see any issues with these components? Can you recommend a good bushing kit?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a good list you have,
I would just open the Maximum Motorsports Catalog and order suspension parts...they are very good.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. Just picked up the Auburn for $250 shipped. Brand new. I'm trying to be as aggressive with this project as possible.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Thats a good list you have,
I would just open the Maximum Motorsports Catalog and order suspension parts...they are very good.

I was going to say that.
sounds like a kick ass combo - kinda like mine :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
All this talk is great and all that but nobody has mentioned the cash that is involved here :( there is some BIG BUCKS in this project :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: not trying to be the horse power party pooper here, but I would say 10k or more :-\ :-\

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Actually, I'm expecting it to cost quite a bit more than $10K. I like to do things in stages. Interior was stage 1. Suspension/Brakes is stage 2. I may try to get some body work done this month as I just got my first bonus today. We'll see how it turns out.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Make sure you get pictures of this build up. Are you going with the VT shortblock like droptop suggested or still deciding on your path?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.