Best strategy for 550 RWHP

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
I won't make that decision until '08. It's gonna be a toss up between VT and DSS. I've heard good things about both. :thumb:

snoball

Reaction score
itd be cheaper just to buy an 03/04 cobra after your done dumping money into your 96. Shit it takes maybe 2-3 grand to achieve 550. If you have money go turbo and make 600 to the wheels easy.

Im just saying.. whole new motor, transmission, rearend (setup anyways), wheels/tires, brakes, fuel system.. itd be cheaper to go with a tried and proven platform.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
There are ups and downs either way. I actually had a deal worked up on an '03 Cobra in October of Last year and ended up walking out of the Dealership (It was a trade in). The car had already been modded and was over 500 at the wheels. It was fun to drive but didn't feel right. I like the SN95 body more and can control this project (read stop it) if something where to happen to either of the incomes in my household. I don't intend on getting rid of the car so the cost of either option isn't as big of a factor. It's also a chance to do a build exactly the way I want. Everybody expects the Termi to be fast...my little old SN95 is a different story. My insurance is about as cheap as it gets. It wouldn't be that way with a limited production car. Like I said...lot's of good and bad both ways.

mobb70

Reaction score
Let me help you out a little....I have 522 RWHP (on my track tune) with my 4.6 orig 2v block. Your looking at probably 20k+ to get to your goal but atleast it will last and be nice. The cheapest way would be to go Snoball`s way and buy a 03-05 cobra and change pulleys, filter,tune,exhaust and your just about there. Goto livernois motorsports and buy one of their forged shortblocks. Get some svo heads and an svo minifold(outflows the bullitt one) like i have. Cobra forged crank, tko tranny, lakewood BH,fms DS, 31 spline moser axles, FMS trac loc, get youself a blower, I have a vortech v-1 s-trm which is loud and nasty, get the livernois stage 1 billet cams like what i run and your there. Get a good tune and you can ride. I went with the CMR software but make sure you check locally first. The place where i just moved to no one runs any type of diablo stuff so iam prob going to switch too SCT sometime in the future. Since you want 500+ RWHP, then i would go with UPR UCA`s and LCA`s in my opinion best bang and quality for the buck. Shocks and struts are your preferance. If your doing just track stuff go with lakewood, if your doing both go with Koni or tokiko. I still have the stock fuel lines and rails but you will need to get a 255 intanks and some type of inline. My blower came with the 55 gph t-rex along with my walbro iam good.You will need 42lb injectors atleast, maybe 55lbers. Your electrical can stay stock but i would suggest getting a 3g alternator, wires and some NGK or denso plugs. If your going to have more than 10 psi go with 2 heat range colder plugs. get yourself the lightning maf or get what i got, a pro-m blow through MAF. I reccomend the procharger intercooler, its what i run and fits nice in my 96. You will need some gauges, fuel pressure and boost/vacum is a must. I would get a wideband also. I have a PLX one which works great and i reccomend it. Clutch, i have a king cobra which works great but is kind of slow when i try to power shift. UPR blue thunder shifter is what i have and have had no probs with it. Oh,before i forget, the fuel setup i mentioned will def have to be upgraded if youwant to runn close to 600 RWHP. My lines and rail become useless after 6500k on the dyno.

Thats what iam pretty much running and just wanted to throw it at ya. Go with what works for you and your car, but wanted to throw what i have at ya because its been working for me for a while and dont need to change or replace things very often.

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Looks good Mobb70. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get all suspension components ironed out by the end of June. I've already gotten quite a bit of stuff. I've been looking at the SVO Intake/Heads and Vortech combination for the last few days. I'm leaning that way right now.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Why not go with a HPperformance turbo kit? You'll be able to make 550 HP or more easily.

Might also wanna look at getting a tubular K member to get some more weight off the front.

mobb70

Reaction score
Cool. Make sure you get some pics of the stuff as it comes in also. My buddy took pics of the crap he ordered and the "before" and "after" pics and it just gave his car that much more umph when he was at car shows and stuff. Yea, the turbo kit will prob get you there quicker but your eventually going to have to upgrade just about everything else in the long run with all that HP on tap. I wouldnt use anything less than 275`s outback when you rreach your goal also. I went from 275`s to 315`s and found that spinning in 3rd wasnt happening any more lol. Just watch out for the rain lol....

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Luckily it doesn't rain too much here in Texas. This year has been the exception though.

mobb70

Reaction score
Texas huh. Iam stationed just outside new orleans. Alot of my outlaw performance buddies goto houston for some good racing. They just went to FFW there not too long ago.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mobb70 said:
Let me help you out a little....I have 522 RWHP (on my track tune) with my 4.6 orig 2v block. Your looking at probably 20k+ to get to your goal but atleast it will last and be nice. The cheapest way would be to go Snoball`s way and buy a 03-05 cobra and change pulleys, filter,tune,exhaust and your just about there. Goto livernois motorsports and buy one of their forged shortblocks. Get some svo heads and an svo minifold(outflows the bullitt one) like i have. Cobra forged crank, tko tranny, lakewood BH,fms DS, 31 spline moser axles, FMS trac loc, get youself a blower, I have a vortech v-1 s-trm which is loud and nasty, get the livernois stage 1 billet cams like what i run and your there. Get a good tune and you can ride. I went with the CMR software but make sure you check locally first. The place where i just moved to no one runs any type of diablo stuff so iam prob going to switch too SCT sometime in the future. Since you want 500+ RWHP, then i would go with UPR UCA`s and LCA`s in my opinion best bang and quality for the buck. Shocks and struts are your preferance. If your doing just track stuff go with lakewood, if your doing both go with Koni or tokiko. I still have the stock fuel lines and rails but you will need to get a 255 intanks and some type of inline. My blower came with the 55 gph t-rex along with my walbro iam good.You will need 42lb injectors atleast, maybe 55lbers. Your electrical can stay stock but i would suggest getting a 3g alternator, wires and some NGK or denso plugs. If your going to have more than 10 psi go with 2 heat range colder plugs. get yourself the lightning maf or get what i got, a pro-m blow through MAF. I reccomend the procharger intercooler, its what i run and fits nice in my 96. You will need some gauges, fuel pressure and boost/vacum is a must. I would get a wideband also. I have a PLX one which works great and i reccomend it. Clutch, i have a king cobra which works great but is kind of slow when i try to power shift. UPR blue thunder shifter is what i have and have had no probs with it. Oh,before i forget, the fuel setup i mentioned will def have to be upgraded if youwant to runn close to 600 RWHP. My lines and rail become useless after 6500k on the dyno.

Thats what iam pretty much running and just wanted to throw it at ya. Go with what works for you and your car, but wanted to throw what i have at ya because its been working for me for a while and dont need to change or replace things very often.

Thats a nice setup you have, I was gonna go the SVO head route but stumbled on a great deal for my VT heads...only bad thing about the SVO intake you suggested is i heard from Randy S that finding the complete intake setup (install kit) is almost impossible now which sucks for all the new 96-98 owners who are looking to upgrade.

mobb70

Reaction score
Humnnn, i thought it would be easier to find the SVO setup nowadays. Mine has beein on for like 3+ years. Try kicking livernois motorsports an e-mail and asking them about it. They installed it on my car ways back lol. I have a vid of her running on youtube and some pics of her on cardomain. Both my handles are mobb70 on those sites. The vid is almost 2 years old but other than some wires, coils etc, its still as it is on the vid. Mike....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is Ford doesn't sell the install kits anymore so what is left is all there ever will be...it kinda sucks but they are doing it to alot of things our 96-98's could use...I guess that shows that our cars are getting old and Ford is concentrating on the 05+ in full force.

mobb70

Reaction score
That suck man. The SVO setup is a good match. I heard the next best thing is the bullitt setup, is that correct? The only bad thing i can think of with the PI setup is it is made out of plastic. Either way, they are all better than stock lol.

ripper

Reaction score
brwillms said:
Thanks Bob. Just picked up the Auburn for $250 shipped. Brand new. I'm trying to be as aggressive with this project as possible.

Were did you find the auburn pro for 250? Also its still a clutch diff just like the eaton. You can get a detroit trutrak for the price im seeing for the auburn.

firstonraceday

Reaction score
brwillms said:
I won't make that decision until '08. It's gonna be a toss up between VT and DSS. I've heard good things about both. :thumb:
I wouldent take the DSS route if I were you... I have heard nothing but bad things about them from some 5.0 guys http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=895481 I would go MMR has the best short blocks IMO and there not too expensive. Good Luck

tooslow

Reaction score

mobb70

Reaction score
I dont have any dyno #`s to prove anything but I can tell you that I rann 522 rwhp with no probs with the svo setup. I can run pretty much as much boost as my seals can handle cause everything is all aluminum up top. I saw some flow #`s and it stated in the writup that they were better than the bullitt setup. I`am also pretty sure that the svo outflows the PI also. I once owned a `02 gt and was told that the upgrade to what I had was the bullitt. I know that the SVO mani can be used with PI heads with some minor machining or something from what i`ve read. Mike...

OP
OP
B

brwillms

Reaction score
Well, I thought you guys might want an update on my car progress. There hasn't been any. Life has a funny way of throwing curve balls just when you think you are getting ahead. Luckily, I'm learning how to hit them. My wife lost her job late last year and decided she wanted to make a career change. That left the burdon of using what would normally be mustang money for subsistence over the last 5 months or so. I have been able to buy a few minor things but haven't gotten any of the parts I have installed. On top of that I've been working 60+hr weeks for the past few months.

The wife has found a great position and is now helping tow the line so the car project is back on. I'll be posting some questions soon enough about parts and would be interested. The interior and suspension are first on the list. I purchased leather seats out of a 99 that had been sitting around for several years. They are in great shape. I think I've got the guy convinced to give me the rest of the interior for another $100. I'll be listing suspension parts as soon as I can get in the garage and take an inventory. THen I'll need some help determining what else I need to finalize the suspension. After that, I'm really not sure what direction to go. I'm so ready to geet back in the swing of things.

Bluesn95

Reaction score
ALL YOU NEED IS A FORGED IRON SHORTBLOCK WITH PORTED HEADS NA CAMS AND A 175 SHOT OF NOS WITH THE CORRECT UPGRADES TO YOUR FUEL SYSTEM. SHORT AND SIMPLE. Well also 31 spline rearend and tko wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online