best tune for cams

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by ugafan_tn, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

I recently picked up a 97 gt with a 04 pi swap already done . When I bought the car the guy said it could use a 75mm tb and a maf meter and good tune . Well I've bought the tb and the maf that's calibrated to my injector size . My car has stage 3 comp cams also with the normal bolt on stuff . My question is... where do I go to ro get these emailed tune I keep hearing about ? Anyone have a recommendation? Sadly both reputable dyno shops in my area say they can't do my car . Mainly because it's too old . Idk .. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

No reason to use any other maf but the stock. Use the stock! Your stock throttle body is fine, but since the new is available, install it correctly. The stage 3 cams with pi heads is more than likely destroying the intake valves. The early intake valve opening will create piston to valve interference. A cam part# would help here.

Never trust a mail order tune....they junk causing more problems. YES, some have good luck, but not goodluck with stage 3 cams.

That "maf calibrated for injector size" like back in the old OBD1 days is long gone when OBDII came out. No reason for any other maf. Stay with a ford maf! Preferable stock.

Hope this helps! Let us know how we can help

3. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

Thanks man that was really helpful. I had no idea about the cams being bad for the motor . I'll see if I can find the part # for the cams . So hypothetically speaking if you owned the car what would you do ? I don't really have the time , place , or the knowledge to rebuild the motor . Plus I'll have to admit when I bought the car I was thinking the injectors where way to big for a na car (36lbs). Should I just sale it and move on or try to "tame the beast "t so to speak ?

4. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

I went back and looked at the for sale ad from when I bought it and said .270/.550 . Not sure exactly what that means . I tried looking for a part number but couldn't find it .

5. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

You have never stated a problem with the car. Does it not run good?

6. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

If the car is not stock,...the stock tune will not run good at all....if it even runs.

7. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

Yeah it runs and drives . It just will not idle right . It will idle high one minute then choke itself out the next. It has the tune that the previous owner had on it . It's not the stock ecu program . This is everything that it has on it .
    Stage 3 comp cams , new lunati valve springs .270/.550, bbk long tube headers , bbk h pipe , 75mm tb , stock maf ( I didn't install the other ) , cai, 36lb injectors, 370 fuel pump , msd , exedy stage 2 clutch , and 410 gears .

8. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

If the tune is mail order, make an appointment for a dyno tune. Even if the dyno tune is a fail, the tuner will most likely find the problem.

Was the engine ever opened up? Does the car lope at idea....like its got cams?

9. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

Yes , It was gone through before they put it in and It doesn't sound like it cams to me but then again it never gets a chance to idle either .

10. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

If it had quote....comp stage 3 cams (im not saying it doesnt nor am I saying your wrong) the car will lope and any idle quality will struggle.

Your best bet it to be sure the engine is buttoned up correctly and make an appointment to a competent tuner.

If their are any vacuum leaks, the engine will not run right.

11. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

Alright man . Thanks

12. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

The best tune will always be a dyno tune. But someone like JJ @WMS that guy has several trucks running 10s on email tunes, email tunes can great now days.

At the power level we are running you won't need a crazy maf. If you do upgrade the Lightning Maf would be the next step and plenty for a good amount of horse power on a 4.6. Without a power adder a new maf won't do much.

The true down side to email tuning is the down time/datalogging and revisions. Thankfully mine is not my daily.

13. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

Check for vaccuum leaks with some starter fluid. While the car is running spray the fluid around the intake manifold and up the intake tube DO NOT GO PAST THE MAF! Honestly wouldnt even go near it. Do NOT spray the start fluid into the air filter. If the rpm/idle changes the leak is near where you sprayed it last so do shoret direct burst.

IAC should be looked at and possible the TPS depending on what it thinks its doing in the tune. Usually the TPS will throw a code though.

14. ugafan_tn

ugafan_tn New Member

Thanks so much for the help fellas . I'm gonna get a sct this weekend and hoped for the best .

15. Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs Active Member

I'm not sure if. anyone threw this out there yet about the cams tearing up the the motor but you're ok as far as that goes. They were assuming that you had stock valve springs. I'd imagine they matched the cam and springs accordingly.
    As far as the idling problems, (not apples to apples, but) my 95 didn't want to idle after a cam swap w the stock tune. I had it towed to the dyno.
    The mail order tune was obviously "a miss". I think the maf and injector "calibration" isn't calibrated enough and your injectors are on the large side.
    Often times guys using "calibrated" MAF's still end up having to get a dyno tune or some other tuning method that allows the tuner to see what's going on in realtime. Since you already have an aftermarket maf I wouldn't bother getting with putting a stock one on since they'll get everything sorted out on the dyno. If you were to put a stock one in now I bet the tune would be so off that you wouldn't be able to drive it to the shop.
    For those that are thinking about buying a larger maf, there's really no performance gain and the stock one will support the amount of hp that the average Joe will be making, you know 300 rwhp or a little over. The stock maf or any maf for that matter, can be "calibrated" to match any injector size via a tune.
    One more thing, MAF's don't make power, they support it.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I would put a stock modular valve spring to any cam.....in a modular.