Best tuning software for 1996 Mustang GT

PWNY

Reaction score
I'm tired of getting "canned tunes" and looking to get tuning software so I can tune my mustang myself. Which is the most user friendly? I have an xcal 2 so it would kinda make sense to get the SCT Advantage 3 tuning software. Has anyone used this software? Any input is appreciated.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Are you referring to canned tunes as mail order stuff? For the price of the sct software you can have a dyno tune done.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
Are you referring to canned tunes as mail order stuff? For the price of the sct software you can have a dyno tune done
Yes, the mail order tunes. I have gotten several tunes from Bama tunes (americanmuscle.com) and they work but one tune will ping if I get on it before it's warm, another tune is way rich and another is lean. I want to get into tuning and have been doing some research and there are alot of options.

what is your experience in tuning?
I've been a mechanic for 11 years so I know a thing or too and want to be able to tweak things on my mustang. It's got pi heads, edelbrock intake, 94mm throttle body, egr delete, and long tubes. Want to make it run they way it should and want to know what's in the tune.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Is it auto or stick? Do you have emissions to worry about?

If you’re any good with wiring, you could get a microsquirt setup for under or around $400.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are a number of systems that can do it and in my opinion the difference between them is how they treat you after you get it. Holley has good tech support both on their forum, facebook as well as with a tech support # to call. I have heard the megasquirt is a good system but you are a little more on your own to figure it out.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Microsquirt is about as simple as it gets, and there is a lot of support for it. It’s a really good option for the price. Holley it good, but it’s expensive.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Megasquirt does have a pnp kit in the works for 96 to 98 cars now. Call them and its possible you can snag one

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think when you said "software" we assumed you mean on a pc and an offboard ecu. If you are not wanting to do that then your options are pretty limited.

tvsn95

Reaction score
Like I said, Get with Pops racing. Adam will hold your hand ( to a point) and tell you what you need, then either tune it for you or get you started " down the rabbit hole" LOL
I will tell you that if you don't have a GOOD wideband FIRST you are flying blind . so get that installed and learn what the info it gives means.
and yeah , you do it with a laptop
Have fun, I have been tuning for years on these early ECU's

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
Like I said, Get with Pops racing. Adam will hold your hand ( to a point) and tell you what you need, then either tune it for you or get you started " down the rabbit hole" LOL
I will tell you that if you don't have a GOOD wideband FIRST you are flying blind . so get that installed and learn what the info it gives means.
and yeah , you do it with a laptop
Have fun, I have been tuning for years on these early ECU's
I have a wideband in the car and with those Bama tunes, I don't like what I see. What program do you use for tuning?

2002BLGT

Reaction score
I have a wideband in the car and with those Bama tunes, I don't like what I see. What program do you use for tuning?

If you want a better option than Bama but still use what you have let me know and I can fix you up

Reaction score
94mm seems like its too much. do you run a carb style manifold? ive got the vic jr manifold too, but use a 72 or 75mm tb. will knows for certain. he and josef also do a lot of tuning stuff on their own cars so theyre probably a good resource

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online