BEST VIDEO!!!!! a must SEE

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cool to see that car in action.
I followed the build thread for over a year.
they did some of the best fabrication work I"ve ever seen.

I'm sure they were excited to run it.

Is that 0-60 in 3.3 seconds accurate??

OP
OP
D

DamieN

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

Yep... HAS anyone here done a IRS on thier 94-96 ? if so could you please tell me the total coast and if the change was worth it etc!?

ryclef331

Reaction score
DamieN said:
Dalamar said:

Yep... HAS anyone here done a IRS on thier 94-96 ? if so could you please tell me the total coast and if the change was worth it etc!?

We swapped the rear ends between my flat black 95 and my roommate's 03 Cobra. EVERYTHING is a bolt in and GO procedure pretty much. You need the rear end and cradle from the 03, shocks, springs, and brackets that hold the rear of the cradle in (these replace your quad shock brackets). The ONLY thing you gotta get creative with is making new brake lines for the IRS. The solid axle cars have a single line off the bottom of the car to the rear axle Tee'd off into a big long rigid line down the axle. IRS cars have TWO flex lines off the car going to each caliper. You have to figure out a way to do that. We didn't bother....with ALOT of zip ties, we rely on the flex in the length of the rigid line to make up for the lack of a rubber line. So far so good...then again, we don't really drive that car. It was just something to do on a weekend. One other thing, you need to swap out the pinion flanges between the rear ends. I'm sure if you post up somewhere on a forum with alot of cobras....someone will swap out with you for free. Alot of them want the solid axle. Remember also that the IRS is 3/4" longer on each side.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
DamieN said:
Dalamar said:

We swapped the rear ends between my flat black 95 and my roommate's 03 Cobra. EVERYTHING is a bolt in and GO procedure pretty much. You need the rear end and cradle from the 03, shocks, springs, and brackets that hold the rear of the cradle in (these replace your quad shock brackets). The ONLY thing you gotta get creative with is making new brake lines for the IRS. The solid axle cars have a single line off the bottom of the car to the rear axle Tee'd off into a big long rigid line down the axle. IRS cars have TWO flex lines off the car going to each caliper. You have to figure out a way to do that. We didn't bother....with ALOT of zip ties, we rely on the flex in the length of the rigid line to make up for the lack of a rubber line. So far so good...then again, we don't really drive that car. It was just something to do on a weekend. One other thing, you need to swap out the pinion flanges between the rear ends. I'm sure if you post up somewhere on a forum with alot of cobras....someone will swap out with you for free. Alot of them want the solid axle. Remember also that the IRS is 3/4" longer on each side.

good post lots of usefull info in there for someone wanting to do a swap

OP
OP
D

DamieN

Reaction score
Did you consider it a worth while sawp? and MAJOR diss advantages with the IRS...
you said many 03 people would wanna swap ?

ryclef331

Reaction score
If you want to go out and carve corners....I guess it could be worth it. It you wanna go fast in a straight line, it definetly isn't the most optimal set up. Also, its HEAVY...I mean HEAVY when compared to a stick axle. The car handled alot better...flatter through the turns and such but honestly we really didn't beat on it hard. yes, 03-04 cobra owners are always looking for a solid axle swap. You have everything thing they need and they have everything you want. We parked the two cars side by side...one on jackstands, the other on a lift and swapped everything in two days. It maybe a bit more difficult for you to find a cobra guy to swap with b/c your axle is narrower than their setup and they might not want to sacrifice the track width...however, they get can stuff a bit more tire under the car b/c of this so remember that when trying to persuede them. Like I said, I'm a drag racer so we did this to benefit the straight line ability of the Cobra, not the GT's cornering. Honestly, my other GT (not the one in my sig) is such a pile, the rear end is probably worth more than the car...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that the IRS has wheel hop issues when you're doing hard launches.
it also will smash the bushings.
So alot of guys that drag swap to a solid.

MM does make bushing kits for them that are better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online