Best way to attach saleen s281 spoiler?

PWNY

Reaction score
So I have a Saleen s281 spoiler on the car and it is attached with the 2 bolts and then 3m double sided tape all the way around. Over time the tape doesn't stick any more. I think it wears out from getting wet. Is there a better way to secure this spoiler to the trunk?

Benni614

Reaction score
So I have a Saleen s281 spoiler on the car and it is attached with the 2 bolts and then 3m double sided tape all the way around. Over time the tape doesn't stick any more. I think it wears out from getting wet. Is there a better way to secure this spoiler to the trunk?
Best way not ruining the paint is 3m tape but when applied I usually use alcohol to the applied here to remove any oil or dirt. Then slightly heat up the applied area i use a heat gun then apply the the 3m tape allow to cool and then heat it 1 more time and allow to cool and the adhesive should stick very well. I do this with underglow lights and chin spoilers with no issues

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
Best way not ruining the paint is 3m tape but when applied I usually use alcohol to the applied here to remove any oil or dirt. Then slightly heat up the applied area i use a heat gun then apply the the 3m tape allow to cool and then heat it 1 more time and allow to cool and the adhesive should stick very well. I do this with underglow lights and chin spoilers with no issues

Thanks for the tips. The last 2 times it was installed by a body shop. Doing it myself this time. I do have adhesion promoter also. Still need to remove the old tape from the spoiler then we'll give it a go.

Benni614

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. The last 2 times it was installed by a body shop. Doing it myself this time. I do have adhesion promoter also. Still need to remove the old tape from the spoiler then we'll give it a go.
No never used that go gone and gentle heat with a plastic razor or adhesive remover wheel doesn't remove paint or Clear coat. Once off then clean with alcohol take ur time and then try my method

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
double stick tape is never going to be a permanent solution. It is always going to fail and how its installed plays a part as well as where you live. If you want a more permanent solution your looking more in the lines of of rtv if you want to be able to remove it or panel bonding adhesive if you don't. Another option would be to get some rubber gasket material and make a gasket to go under it.

Benni614

Reaction score
double stick tape is never going to be a permanent solution. It is always going to fail and how its installed plays a part as well as where you live. If you want a more permanent solution your looking more in the lines of of rtv if you want to be able to remove it or panel bonding adhesive if you don't. Another option would be to get some rubber gasket material and make a gasket to go under it.
The reason why I use that because I don't or never used rtv on a customers or my car but I currently never had any issues with 2 sided tape on exterior parts

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Duct tape!!!!! It’s good enough for nascar at 200mph!!!!!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it just depends on how long you want to keep it on there as again double stick tape, like any tape has a shelf life especially when it is left outside. I would say take it off and put down a few good coats of wax under it and a thin line of rtv will keep it dry and still be removable later. Assuming you do not have a crystal white if that is the case the next time you pull up thee spoiler it would probably pull up the paint.

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
Never crossed my mind to use some Kentucky chrome LOL I did have the thought of using an rtv or silicone. It would definitely keep water from getting under the spoiler.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Never crossed my mind to use some Kentucky chrome LOL I did have the thought of using an rtv or silicone. It would definitely keep water from getting under the spoiler.
it would and realistically the only reason you will pull it up is if it leaks so I see no foul here. It doesn't need to be super thick, just the very end of the tip....

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
it just depends on how long you want to keep it on there as again double stick tape, like any tape has a shelf life especially when it is left outside. I would say take it off and put down a few good coats of wax under it and a thin line of rtv will keep it dry and still be removable later. Assuming you do not have a crystal white if that is the case the next time you pull up thee spoiler it would probably pull up the paint.
Black as black can be. I'm leaning towards the rtv route. I don't ever need to take the spoiler off. The only reason I took the spoiler off was to reattach it!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yep... you're f'd now lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
if he is screwed just for saying it than I have been screwed for some time...
Dn9soHP.jpg

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Definitely jinxed himself lol you never say never

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TrickVert

Reaction score
"3M double-sided tape" covers a lot of ground. You need to insure you're using the automotive-specific tape intended for this purpose - 3M Acrylic Plus. It is specifically designed to to adhere metal and plastic parts to painted automotive surfaces.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Acrylic-Plus-High-Bond-Tape

I have a spoiler on my Acura TLX that I'll be re-securing for the *third* time because I used industrial VHB tape the first two times which let go from the trunk lid surface.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
I don't know which of the 3M Tapes you used, but I use '3M Red Industrial Tape'. It also helps to prep the area correctly, normally Alcohol, to remove any oils or wax. It works holding the '03 Chin Spoiler to my '01 Front Cobra Bumper, along with the plastic push pins. It has held the 2010 PONY on the Grille Opening for the last 6 years.DSC00049.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online