Best way to clean gas tank?

stock

Reaction score
My car sat for 5 years with about 3/8 of a tank of gas. Its been about 2 1/2 years back on the road, and I have had reoccurring fuel issues. I feed her a steady dose of fuel system cleaner & new filters. Im having issues again, so I swapped out yet another fuel filter again today, except instead of just tossing it, I decided to take a look at what was in it. I began with a wrag, but then put it in a cup when I really saw how bad it was. This is about an ounce of what came out of it.

This is still after about 8 filters over the past 2 years! Needless to say, something is about to be done about it. Id really rather not spend the money on a new one if I don't have to. Anyone have experience cleaning a gas tank out? What works? What don't?

RichV

Reaction score
The fuel filter is the cheapest thing out of the rest of the fuel system. Be glad it's just the filters rather than that stuff getting into your injectors and lines.

You can replace the tank, or remove the tank and have it cleaned.

My buddy bought a car that sat for a long time, he was not so lucky. Injectors, pump, filter, FPR, and even fuel lines were gummed up with varnish.

When the tank is out you can use all sorts of cleaners, let it dry out, re-install.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Drop the tank, pull the hat, drain the tank, hit it with a CLR solution (following instructions), let it dry overnight (using compressed air would be a good idea too), next day replace your pump sock, replace your filler tube gasket, reinstall your hat, put the tank back in, replace your fuel filter, fill the tank (1/4 tank) with premium and start her up.

if things seem improved run a can of BG44k through it (full tank of gas with that)

if it seems fixed, inspect your spark plugs and carry on with your day! :)

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Drop the tank, pull the hat, drain the tank, hit it with a CLR solution (following instructions), let it dry overnight (using compressed air would be a good idea too), next day replace your pump sock, replace your filler tube gasket, reinstall your hat, put the tank back in, replace your fuel filter, fill the tank (1/4 tank) with premium and start her up.

if things seem improved run a can of BG44k through it (full tank of gas with that)

if it seems fixed, inspect your spark plugs and carry on with your day! :)

THIS.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
rust can be cleaned out with something as easy as cider vinegar that will eat the rust but not the metal. Now where you can get 12 gallons of it to fill the tank to leave it soak might be a problem...

OP
OP
stock

stock

Reaction score
I just decided to replace the thing for peace of mind. Received it today, still waiting on the new fuel pump. Thanks for all the suggestions!

cobrazilla

Reaction score
I did this earlier this year on my 95 cobra which was parked for 7 years with shit gas. I drained it, replaced all pump/sock etc. I treated the rust by filling a few 2 liter bottles of coca cola and let shook it up and let it sit overnight. Next day I just poured it out and pressure washed inside the tank with a angled gun and kept flushing it out till the water came out clear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online