Best way to strip paint off wheels?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Self explanatory. I need to get the paint off my FR500's so I can powdercoat them. A friend of mine has a bead blasting cabinet but it's powered off a small air compressor so it would take foooorrrreeeevvveeerrr to do a set if wheels with it having to constantly stop and let pressure build back up. Someone suggested some type of aircraft paint stripper but I'm not sure about that on aluminum wheels. Anyone here have any experience or suggestions?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aircraft stripper should do the trick, just check the label. It will tell you what you can and cant use it on. But if not I believe you can get them sandblasted for very cheap.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Aircraft stripper should do the trick but if not I believe you can get them sandblasted for very cheap.

Limited access around where I live. I'd have to take them a lil over an hour from home so I'm trying to leave that as my final option.

I already hate Tapatalk...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I second the aircraft stripper... Used this to take off the clear coat on some old civic rims, and I watched the paint fizzle and literally melt off. Great product

chris91

Reaction score
Aircraft paint remover will remove the clear off the lips also. Not sure if you care about that but figured I'd warn ya.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This here. Get a bunch of cheap house painting brushes and apply this excessively, wait 10 or 15 minutes (it works pretty fast but don't start removing before it's done it's job) and get to removing it with whatever works. A roll of paper towels seems to do the trick. Make sure you clean the area very well afterwards, you don't want any residual stripper to just sit and eat away.

gar343.jpg

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Aircraft paint remover will remove the clear off the lips also. Not sure if you care about that but figured I'd warn ya.
Thanks for the heads up Chris! I think some of the clear is already coming off anyway though so I may just get them re-cleared afterwards.
This here. Get a bunch of cheap house painting brushes and apply this excessively, wait 10 or 15 minutes (it works pretty fast but don't start removing before it's done it's job) and get to removing it with whatever works. A roll of paper towels seems to do the trick. Make sure you clean the area very well afterwards, you don't want any residual stripper to just sit and eat away.

gar343.jpg

Thanks Tyler! I'm going to town in a few and I'll see if I can find some of this stuff or it's equivalent.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Chris! I think some of the clear is already coming off anyway though so I may just get them re-cleared afterwards.

Thanks Tyler! I'm going to town in a few and I'll see if I can find some of this stuff or it's equivalent.

I didn't see it in the post until now but it's alright to use on aluminum wheels. My wheels are proof. Also, try to find Klean-strip brand, it's the best out of the three I've tried. For what it's worth - that's what we used, when needed, at the body shop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is some pretty nasty stuff so be careful to wear gloves and work on it outside. If you do not want something that is as caustic I have used a citris based stripper that you can find at walmart called citristrip. Its not going to work as fast as the aircraft stripper but you can do it indoors as it just smells like oranges. I just put it on really thick and then leave it overnight myself and the next day most of it came off with a wire brush and the hose and there was only a couple of small areas I needed to let soak again.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'll be doing it under my carport so I should be ok. That is if I can make myself get out in the cold tomorrow. Winter decided to surprise us here today, it was snowing lightly some places around here. :rage: :suicide:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would check to make sure it will work in freezing weather. I know the stripper I use seems to work better if you can set it out in the sun on a hot day for an hour and it says not to use it under 50 degrees but it is a mild stripper.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would check to make sure it will work in freezing weather. I know the stripper I use seems to work better if you can set it out in the sun on a hot day for an hour and it says not to use it under 50 degrees but it is a mild stripper.

That's a good point. I'd never thought of that since I've always used it in a controlled climate.

chris91

Reaction score
I dont really see weather effecting that shit too much. Its pretty radical. It peeled the powder coat right off a valve cover of mine back in the day. It was cold as hell in the garage too.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
It worked for me today and it was in the high 30's-low 40's all day!
6fcb8ee04a7653811d360e65891c503e.jpg

b0b625e465a77b5dfb381020837aae2f.jpg

086954702b0367ba047324417e3ac003.jpg

Still a little left to take off..

I already hate Tapatalk...

Justang

Reaction score
I know a stripper who could suck the paint off anything...wait, what were we talking about? :grd:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.