Bewst questions.. Vortech V3

hottwheels04

Reaction score
IMO, HCI all the way.

300-325 at the wheels is pretty simple with a healthy shortblock. Don't be intimidated by tearing into the motor, the worst part about it will be cracking bolts that haven't moved in 20 years. But it's a good time to replace all the to end gaskets anyways. You can do it on the cheap, or go all out with AFR heads, a good custom cam, and a well flowing intake. And some fuel supporting mods. The when you boost it in the future it will make some good power!

The s/c route on a stock top end you'll be doing the equivalent amount of wrenching as a HCI, engine compartment will be a little crammed after. Tuning is going to be a little more of a PITA. Moneywise if buying all parts new, the s/c may be a little more expensive, but you will be at the limit of the stock parts. Then if you do a HCI, you will be at the limit of that V3.

At $3700, you can do a lot for HCI. Probably a few other things on that budget. And don't forget to upgrade the cooling system either way you go.

Yeah if you have $3700 to spend on a blower, you still need a fuel pump injectors and tune. your talking over $4,000. I would deff suggest starting with going the all motor route then down the road add the blower ,a bone stock motor with a blower is a scary combo unless you run 5-8psi and a spot on tune and you dont beat on it. ontop of all that you wont be happy after a while a supercharged v8 combo making 300rwhp and under is weak, trust so many people cheap out and end up spending same or more money in the long run because they rush into a "BUDGET" build, but then end up having to do things diffrent or over, so save your money and time do it right the first time. I would suggest tearing it down even if you do a budget build you dont do Trickflow or AFR route thats understandable, I would atleast suggest gt40 or ported heads intake, and or blower cam. Rebuild making sure all new gaskets and ARP bolts is a good idea so you know it will be able to handle the boost down the road and your not guessing ona motor that hasnt been apart in 20 years. you will atleast know the motor is fresh and rebuilt can handle heads and boost or either or. you can always start with the heads cam route and after 300rwhp gets bored then add the blower and your at 400+rwhp. so theres really no price diff in the long run if you add up what the blower and tune cost vs a n/a route. hell for just under $3k you can buy the full trickflow h/c/i setup kit.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I Think blower is the way to go like opal said fox blowers are cheap all the time . That's what I went with on my car