Big cams = brake issues ?

Armydad

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you all had a nice holiday. :thumb:

I was wondering, have any of you guys had any issues with your power brakes when camming up these cars? If so at what dur. and lobe.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've only seen one person say they have experienced this and he was running the big Comp PI Cams...i think they are 278's...I've personally used the 262ah and 270ah from Comp without issue. Never heard anyone complain with the VT's either.

Rantheman

Reaction score
generally you most likley would run into a brake problem with a big cam unless you are running a vacum style booster or a cam over 285 duration

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Just one more thing I wanted to be sure of before deciding on things

Rantheman

Reaction score
I think our brakes our electronic no vaccum but don't quote me on that!

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
The 4.6L engines utilize a different type of power booster than the conventional vacuum-type. The power booster is called a Hydro-Boost booster and is manufactured by Bendix. The Hydro-Boost booster is powered by power steering fluid. Vehicles equipped with 4.6L engines utilize a Hydro-Boost booster because the engine does not produce sufficient vacuum to activate a vacuum booster. The Hydro-Boost booster uses pressurized power steering fluid, provided by the power steering pump, to multiply the effectiveness of brake pedal movement. In the event of disrupted flow of power steering fluid from the pump, the booster has a reserve system (accumulator) which can store enough pressurized power steering fluid to provide at least two power-assisted brake applications. After the reserve fluid pressure has been used, the brake system functions as a conventional manual system. The Hydro-Boost booster is mounted in the same place (between the master cylinder and engine firewall) as the conventional vacuum power booster.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Mustanger11 said:
^ nice post! I didn't know that.

yea but what did it tell us, yes the cams will cause issues or no they wont because of this nifty little Hydro-Boost set up :dunno:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how it would effect it.

Good info Silversol :thumb:

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
The 4.6L engines utilize a different type of power booster than the conventional vacuum-type. The power booster is called a Hydro-Boost booster and is manufactured by Bendix. The Hydro-Boost booster is powered by power steering fluid. Vehicles equipped with 4.6L engines utilize a Hydro-Boost booster because the engine does not produce sufficient vacuum to activate a vacuum booster. The Hydro-Boost booster uses pressurized power steering fluid, provided by the power steering pump, to multiply the effectiveness of brake pedal movement. In the event of disrupted flow of power steering fluid from the pump, the booster has a reserve system (accumulator) which can store enough pressurized power steering fluid to provide at least two power-assisted brake applications. After the reserve fluid pressure has been used, the brake system functions as a conventional manual system. The Hydro-Boost booster is mounted in the same place (between the master cylinder and engine firewall) as the conventional vacuum power booster.

:thumb: Beauty info. Nice to learn something in detail. I also think it's time for me to get a shop manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online