Big slicks

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
I am going to buy a set of rear wheels and tires tomorrow. They are 15x9 rims with Hoosier 9.0-30.0-15 tires on them. I understand that these are some tall tires but I'm getting the set for $150. I just want to know if you guys think they will hurt my car a lot? I've never ran slicks. What would be a better size tire.My car is a 5 speed with 4.10 gears and I'm hoping to dyno around 320-350 range.

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
BIG difference between a 25-1/2 through 27'" tall tire compared to a 30" slick, will also completely change your power vs rpm range and shift points. Don't get me wrong in some cases (and power levels) you have to go from a 26" to 28" slick and for big power to a 30" and it's the right tire, but in other cases (and lower power levels) it can really mess you up and slow you down.

I ran 33 x 21-1/2 tires on one of my Prostreet Trucks and could spin them at will in any gear BUT the truck had close to 1000HP so it needed a tall wide tire. But when I put 30" street tires on a 9 Second Lightning I had it really really screwed it up. Shift points were way off and not matched with the power vs RPM range and I actually found it very sluggish so I went back to a shorter tire. When I put 28.81 x 12.01 Mickey Thompson ET Streets on my 03 Terminator I loved the look and traction they gave me but I do have to say it also changed my shift points to a point I didnt like. That had a Bullet Proof Pro Comp 4r70W Automatic with a Brake and 717 RWHP with a manual reverse Valve Body and very hi rpm stall so I was able to get away with it.

You do have two things in your favor, the 4.1 Gear and a Manual Trans but you still may find it a little sluggish off the line, longer to wind up, and dropping to lower rpm's after the shifts which can end up slowing you down at your power level. What Size Tire are you running now ???

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
[MENTION=21249]Rob04Mach1[/MENTION] I found a set of 27-10-18 tires brand new for cheap. What width rim should I look for now?

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
Thats not to wide so hell you could probably get away with a 8" wheel so your fine with the 9" wheel.

What exactly are you looking for ??? If you want something for street and strip I would be looking at MT ET Street DR's or M&H Racemaster Drag Radials

I have 2 sets of rear tires and wheels for my Mach 1, 17x9 Wheels with 275/40R17's
and 17 x 10-1/2 with Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials, 315/35R17 (26 x 12-1/2)

17 x 9's

A_1466b.jpg

17 x 10-1/2
100_8719.jpg

PS
I got my 17 x 10-1/2 Wheels and MT ET Streets for 200.00 so there are deals out there

joekd

Reaction score
I ran a set of 28" drag radials with 4.10's on my old mustang and it wasn't bad, 30" is still a big step up from those though

Why do you think you need a full slick instead of a set of drag radials? Will you be towing the car to the strip everytime because don't want to drive anywhere on a full slick

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
My car is a stick. Drag radials are too hard. The tires I ended up buying today were wrong for what I wanted but they were $40 each so I'll give them a shot. Slicks fit in the trunk. But there's plenty people down here that drive on them.

joekd

Reaction score
My car is a stick. Drag radials are too hard. The tires I ended up buying today were wrong for what I wanted but they were $40 each so I'll give them a shot. Slicks fit in the trunk. But there's plenty people down here that drive on them.

Don't know what DR's you have been looking at but with my GT with 4.10's and a stick on DRs I launched so hard I pulled it out of gear, have a set of ET streets sitting in my garage right now that will get my 4400LB family car off the line so you can't tell me your mustang with a stick can't hook up with those

If all you are going for is "cheap" then good luck, you already admitted you bought the wrong tires and I agree with you

You "can" drive on slicks, you can also drive on tires so bald the belts stick out, no matter how you look at it you are an idiot for doing it

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Slicks with a soft sidewall help to prevent breaking other parts by cushioning the drive line. Drag radials shock everything at once and will more likely break something. I'm not trying to be cheap but for $40 I'd buy damn near anything.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
And I wouldnt ride around on slicks lol. Friend of mine just lost his trans am last weekend because of him riding on slicks.

joekd

Reaction score
Your info is still backwards, a drag tire uses very soft sidewalls to allow the tire to grab, a track tire (autocross) uses stiff sidewalls, to allow good cornering response. It doesn't mean you can't use one tire for another purpose, but it won't do as well as a tire designed specifically for that purpose will.

joekd

Reaction score
While a full slick will hook better they are still a bias ply tire so drag radials are generally more predictable

For me the advantage is I can LEGALLY drive to and from the track on DR's, also can enter on street nights when you must run a DOT tire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online